Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 23-12-2020, 02:34   #466
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Ah so i can keep my 3 v6 boxes? How do i get the new software? Will it just come next year for everyone? How did you get the new software exactly?

I got an email from.vm saying I could upgrade my TV for free they will send remotes for all boxes the peanut remote died with the update they said they will be offering more customers the chance to upgrade for free in 2021 as that offer has now ended I'm not on the ultimate oomph package or anything TV maxit broadband 350 and talk weekends
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-12-2020, 02:36   #467
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Ah so i can keep my 3 v6 boxes? How do i get the new software? Will it just come next year for everyone? How did you get the new software exactly?
At this stage you have to proactively apply for it. I did read that it would be eventually rolled out to everyone at least nine months away, but this has been dismissed by VM staff on here. VM last signed for the right to use the TiVo software in 2017, but it's not known how long the contract was for. It can't have been a three year contract, so I imagine it was for five years or longer.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 03:35   #468
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 View Post
I got an email from.vm saying I could upgrade my TV for free they will send remotes for all boxes the peanut remote died with the update they said they will be offering more customers the chance to upgrade for free in 2021 as that offer has now ended I'm not on the ultimate oomph package or anything TV maxit broadband 350 and talk weekends
I was fuming the other day im paying around £100ish a month and on tv full house, M350 Broadband and talk more anytime phone yet i don't appear to be on "ultimate ooomph" haha.

Did the v6 boxes not get replaced you just got told the software would be applied over night or something? Seems such a weird way to roll out software
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 09:49   #469
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

So you have to respond to the email and request the switch. They then sent you the remote in the post. There is then a prompt in the home screen to start the upgrade to the 360 service. You start with the current V6 remote and will then be prompted to swap to the new remote control and enter a verification code. And then it upgrades.

So it only starts when you tell it to start :-)
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 10:10   #470
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Some people on the trial did it as per the post above and some did it by having new STB's supplied.

There's talk of boxes supplied by a certain manufacturer going wrong, so maybe this is why some customers were offered the OTA software upgrade trial and others had to have new boxe(s). I imagine that those who have to have new boxes will only be able to have one with a HDD in it.
Old 23-12-2020, 10:51   #471
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
At this stage you have to proactively apply for it. I did read that it would be eventually rolled out to everyone at least nine months away, but this has been dismissed by VM staff on here. VM last signed for the right to use the TiVo software in 2017, but it's not known how long the contract was for. It can't have been a three year contract, so I imagine it was for five years or longer.
Where did you read this? You started a thread on this which was inaccurate and now you continue to spout conjecture. VM staff were very clear on that.
Old 23-12-2020, 11:09   #472
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Some people on the trial did it as per the post above and some did it by having new STB's supplied.

There's talk of boxes supplied by a certain manufacturer going wrong, so maybe this is why some customers were offered the OTA software upgrade trial and others had to have new boxe(s). I imagine that those who have to have new boxes will only be able to have one with a HDD in it.
There were two separate activities.

The first stage was via a hardware swap to one HDD box and Mini boxes. Currently most new and existing customers getting 360 will be getting 360 this way.

The second is where existing V6 boxes receive a software upgrade to the 360 platform. This is still invite only so hasn't yet become widely available.

These two are designed to work together, not one instead of the other. Although there has been some reporting issues with the software update, that will be fixed.
Old 24-12-2020, 00:57   #473
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
Where did you read this? You started a thread on this which was inaccurate and now you continue to spout conjecture. VM staff were very clear on that.
On a forum, no thread was started on this, at least I aren't spouting rude & pointless posts.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There were two separate activities.

The first stage was via a hardware swap to one HDD box and Mini boxes. Currently most new and existing customers getting 360 will be getting 360 this way.

The second is where existing V6 boxes receive a software upgrade to the 360 platform. This is still invite only so hasn't yet become widely available.

These two are designed to work together, not one instead of the other. Although there has been some reporting issues with the software update, that will be fixed.
Thanks for clarifying Ben
Old 24-12-2020, 16:41   #474
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
On a forum, no thread was started on this, at least I aren't spouting rude & pointless posts
I wasn't rude And the majority of your posts are pointless. The frequent repetition about forced migration to 360 being the best example.
Old 24-12-2020, 17:53   #475
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Red face Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:
I wasn't rude And the majority of your posts are pointless. The frequent repetition about forced migration to 360 being the best example.
No doubt at some point we will end up with very little option but to go with it. Can see no reason to bother at this stage . Nothing about it loóks an improvement from the comments here.
Old 25-12-2020, 02:54   #476
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
No doubt at some point we will end up with very little option but to go with it. Can see no reason to bother at this stage . Nothing about it loóks an improvement from the comments here.
I agree, VM won't want to be paying TiVo when they have their own software available. It would be a useful indicator if we knew when the contract signed in 2017 expires.
Old 26-12-2020, 18:48   #477
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs9750 View Post
Quick question - does anyone know what would happen if you still have a Tivo box. We have 2 x V6 and 1 x Tivo. I assume the Tivo will not be updated like the V6, so would it have to be replaced by the new multi room box.
Good question, I won't be replacing my extra Tivo box for a box that has no hard drive.

Won't be rushing to get the new software on my V6 either, sounds 'all fur coat and no knickers'
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 01:54   #478
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Has anyone, anywhere publicised anything to indicate a forced migration from Tivo software on V6 to Virgin 360?

I'm 100% with 1701-e here. Nor has anyone, anywhere quantified the apparent saving that could be made to Virgin Media for doing so.

It'd be a fundamentally flawed business model to have your hardware rely upon third party software you aren't entitled to licence for the expected lifespan of the device itself - in the case of an STB probably 10 years or more.

Is there any evidence Virgin would save money at all if they moved existing hardware deployed with Tivo software onto another platform? Without reading the nuance of the contract it's impossible to say this.

I suspect it's forum conjecture running away backing itself up as a source for itself. Back in the day the ordinary STB getting software to be a 'slave' of the TV Drive/V+. Equally was the V HD not getting Tivo software at one point?

I'm not inclined to hold my breath on such matters.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 10:13   #479
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

From October 2019:
Quote:
Regarding TiVo, where Rodriguez was briefly CEO before joining Liberty and which suppliesVirgin Media’s current TV platform, the technology chief describes his former employer as “a fantastic partner” with which it recently launched advanced advertising. He says the company has “still to detail” how it will manage the transition between the two platforms but points out that, in a business where sweating legacy infrastructure is crucial to the bottom line, Virgin will likely continue to service TiVo boxes for a long time to come
https://www.digitaltveurope.com/long...iberty-global/

Last edited by nialli; 29-12-2020 at 10:19.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 18:44   #480
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Good find