Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Win 10 Speed slow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Win 10 Speed slow

Old 16-01-2019, 13:46   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Win 10 Speed slow

If i were you i would put the shub in modem mode temporarily, directly connect the dodgy pc and see what you get.

What happened to the proper router you was going to get after xmas?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2019, 14:30   #17
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
If i were you i would put the shub in modem mode temporarily, directly connect the dodgy pc and see what you get.

What happened to the proper router you was going to get after xmas?
Just what I said so he bypasses all his other gear, I suspect the issue isn't Windows 10 unless it is a driver issue.
Old 16-01-2019, 16:48   #18
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

general Maximus--I still contemplating on whether to buy a Router..Using power plugs at moment n they work well...I have updated drivers, No Change. I beginning to think it could be to a Windows 10 update. This Wi-Fi still flashing on theRouter..Going to switch it off n On to see if that does it. If not, I'll try a hammer lol
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 16:50   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Is your Win10 PC connected through power plugs?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 17:37   #20
copernob
cf.addict

No. Direct Ethernet Cat 6 Cables. All New. All Working. For some reason I just discovered that my Network says---Network2 private network. nothing in between then it says Connections Ethernet. STRANGE is that as it was a "Home Network" What changed it ???I tried a New connection or network n it wanted me to put in my Provider n password. WHY ? not ever done that before..Sorry to trouble you all but when it comes to Networks I no ruddy good. lol

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Wi-Fi stopped flashing since I switched hub off n restarted...
Old 16-01-2019, 18:07   #21
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

If the hub3 has a flashing WiFi light then that is strange as the only light meant to be on is the white bar at the bottom of the hubs in router mode.

As already suggested connect the hub3 direct to the windows 10 pc in modem mode turn all off and on again then see what happens, if you don't do this it makes your problem difficult, this will remove your other stuff from the loop.
Old 16-01-2019, 19:37   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, rather than trying to guess what it is, if you put it in modem mode and you still have the same problem then at least you know it is a Windows issue.

Do it now!
Old 16-01-2019, 19:58   #23
copernob
cf.addict

Ok Update---I plugged the Ethernet cable from router straight to the PC and speeds are the same. So not the Ethernet cable..Varying from 179.75 then next test 210.36. I did not go into router to change it to Modem Mode...Why would I want to do that please ?? I also followed all kinds of google searches n tried em all, from cmd prompt to unticking ssl 1.0 & 1.1 no difference. I still think it is a Microsoft update that has done this. Unless you know different of course..It can't be the switch as it works on Win7. Your Help so far is very much Appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16-01-2019, 20:26   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

I am having a deja vu from dick weed before xmas. You can google modem mode if you want but i am not going to explain it. There is obviously a reason why we suggested it and suffice to say that a wired test in router mode is completely different to a wired test in modem mode and as i stated above you are wasting your time if you do anything else but that at the moment. For all the faffing around you have done googling and changing settings you could have done what you originally set out to do which was ask for our advice.
Old 16-01-2019, 20:30   #25
copernob
cf.addict

OK I believe you told me off..That is fine..I will go into my Router and change to Modem mode and directly plug ethernet cable into my Win10 PC...Will do that later and let you know how it gets on....Seeing its Excellent on my Win7 PC I don't think there will be a change. Will let you know though. Many Thanks
Old 16-01-2019, 20:57   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

As an incentive for you, if you are a good boy and do what we have suggested and post the speed test result (and it hasn't helped) I have got 4 links ready for you which I am sure pretty sure will fix your problem. Troubleshooting needs to a follow a logical process though and this is step 1.
Old 16-01-2019, 20:58   #27
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Make sure you power down the PC and modem if you need to move cables then power up again and let it do its thing.
Old 16-01-2019, 21:06   #28
General Maximus
Ran Away

Shub first and then pc after 2 mins
Old 17-01-2019, 07:28   #29
copernob
cf.addict

OK I only just seen this General....so far it starts up, Flashes Greeny White, The Wireless and Power leds come on, it flashes Full Green, then goes to RED. I can't access the router now. Still puts me on Internet n Speed is 213.82.

I will now Switch PC off then Router, switch Router on n wait 2 minutes. Gives me time to make a cofee as its 6:00am n I'm off out to Exeter at 7am...Will let you know later.

---------- Post added at 06:28 ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 ----------

OK--General Maximus---I did what you suggested...Switched Router off, pulled power plug. 1 min switched it on. (pc is OFF) All lights came on Green then changed to RED. Power led flashing a Greeny white. WiFi flashes, goes off, the Power arrows come on n flashes then around one minute it stops flashing and Power led is green then goes RED n stays RED. I on the internet n Speed is still Low on this Win10 at 212.5..Can't access the Router via Internet..Do I have a Dying Router ? Must I now press the Re-Set Button and use the original router password until I change it. ??? Catch you tonight. Cheers
Old 17-01-2019, 11:31   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away

When you are in router mode the ip to access the shub is 192.168.0.1. When it is in modem it is 192.168.100.1 and that should work for you now. My apologies, I should have told you that before so you didn't panic. You don't have to do a factory reset to get it back in router mode, you can go back in to the shub and afaik the first option you should see is a button for router mode and everything else will be blanked out. It will reset itself which will take a couple of minutes and then all your wifi and everything will be back.

When you have got 10 mins later read each of these links. Take your time and read them properly so you understand the problem and how it applies to you. They are all pretty much the same but go in to varying levels of detail and I always think it is good to understand something rather than just doing it. I wouldn't worry about the fourth link too much, it is just for reference and you should get everything you need from 1 and 2.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-...d-heres-change

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/wi...nternet-speed/

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...-hardware.html

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...totuninglevel/