Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Free V6 box

Old 07-03-2018, 14:54   #361
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Free V6 box

Interesting. I thought SHUB2ac (as opposed to original SHUB2) worked with V6 and weren't being replaced if you order a V6.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2018, 16:55   #362
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough

Final update
The engineer came out today and replaced my Tivo with the V6, in spite of my Tivo being downstairs and Hub 3.0 upstairs, it took him 30 minutes but a lot of that was going through the various VM menus with a CSA. He didn't need to fit any powerline adapters or anything, I am glad I got the engineer as he showed me on his Blackberry a series of green lights etc to show everything was working well.

I just hope that I can see an improvement from my Tivo, thanks BM's for any help you gave me.
gus0898uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 17:45   #363
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post
. He didn't need to fit any powerline adapters or anything.
If you power down your HUB3, you may find the V6 asking to reconnect to the network when the HUB3 is powered up again. A pair of blinking arrows on the V6 lets you know it has no connection. And you have to choose wifi.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Interesting. I thought SHUB2ac (as opposed to original SHUB2) worked with V6 and weren't being replaced if you order a V6.
I was surprised too, even more so with the free Powerline kit. But I suppose it's easier for them if all the installations become standard.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 18:23   #364
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post
Final update
The engineer came out today and replaced my Tivo with the V6, in spite of my Tivo being downstairs and Hub 3.0 upstairs, it took him 30 minutes but a lot of that was going through the various VM menus with a CSA. He didn't need to fit any powerline adapters or anything, I am glad I got the engineer as he showed me on his Blackberry a series of green lights etc to show everything was working well.

I just hope that I can see an improvement from my Tivo, thanks BM's for any help you gave me.
You'll not regret it, Gus. The V6 is a significant improvement, and now I can bookmark my on demand content with confidence!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:09   #365
toby
cf.member

Services: Samsung 49" 4K, Samsung 42" Plasma TV 720p, 2 x V6 boxes, 1 tivo box
toby is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, so I've installed the new box, moved my TiVo to another room and it all works well.
The only problem I have is that the new V6 is not showing on their website yet so I can't transfer my settings and planned recordings although they do say that it can take up to 48 hours to show.
Did someone say that you can watch the recordings from the old TiVo on the new V6? I can't remember lol.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:28   #366
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Ok, so I've installed the new box, moved my TiVo to another room and it all works well.
The only problem I have is that the new V6 is not showing on their website yet so I can't transfer my settings and planned recordings although they do say that it can take up to 48 hours to show.
Did someone say that you can watch the recordings from the old TiVo on the new V6? I can't remember lol.
Yes, but the TiVo must be connected to your Superhub by Ethernet, either direct cable or via powerline adapters, as well as the cable co-ax connection.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:45   #367
toby
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Yes, but the TiVo must be connected to your Superhub by Ethernet, either direct cable or via powerline adapters, as well as the cable co-ax connection.
My old TiVo box was connected via wifi not Ethernet and worked ok.
Are you saying that the new v6 must be Ethernet connected as wifi wont work at all?
My old TiVo has always shown on their website and I could manage it on my ipad via the VM app. Has that changed then? (it's still showing btw).

Last edited by toby; 15-03-2018 at 17:50.
Old 15-03-2018, 18:47   #368
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
My old TiVo box was connected via wifi not Ethernet and worked ok.
Are you saying that the new v6 must be Ethernet connected as wifi wont work at all?
My old TiVo has always shown on their website and I could manage it on my ipad via the VM app. Has that changed then? (it's still showing btw).
No, TiVo has no WiFi.
TiVo had it’s own Modem for connection.
V6 relies on your broadband.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 11:44   #369
toby
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
No, TiVo has no WiFi.
TiVo had it’s own Modem for connection.
V6 relies on your broadband.
Thanks RobboEdin, forgot about the TiVo having it's own modem.
So is it that the wifi isn't strong enough for the v6 hence the need to connect it via Ethernet?

Last edited by toby; 16-03-2018 at 11:51.
Old 16-03-2018, 12:25   #370
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks RobboEdin, forgot about the TiVo having it's own modem.
So is it that the wifi isn't strong enough for the v6 hence the need to connect it via Ethernet?
No issues connecting via Wifi on my V6.
Old 16-03-2018, 16:26   #371
toby
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
No issues connecting via Wifi on my V6.
Me neither, but can you see your V6 on their website?
Old 16-03-2018, 16:45   #372
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Me neither, but can you see your V6 on their website?
Sorry no idea as I haven't needed to look.
Old 21-03-2018, 13:38   #373
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Ok I have two TiVO's and a standard V-HD box. I understood that the free upgrade offer was for your oldest TiVO.

When I phoned up the call centre said when I got the home delivery package I would replace the V-HD box. On one hand this sounds good news, but on the other hand I don't want my package price to increase.

Any thoughts on this before I commit and take the old box away...

Thanks in advance

hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 14:02   #374
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

It's a free upgrade so long as you have Virgin Media's broadband because a condition of getting the V6 is that you are required to take their broadband (smallest is VIVID 50).

An issue for some people is that it's not always easy to get the V6 connected to the hub if the devices are in different rooms. WiFi and powerline don't always work, and an Ethernet cable can be difficult to install.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 14:59   #375
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
It's a free upgrade so long as you have Virgin Media's broadband because a condition of getting the V6 is that you are required to take their broadband (smallest is VIVID 50).

An issue for some people is that it's not always easy to get the V6 connected to the hub if the devices are in different rooms. WiFi and powerline don't always work, and an Ethernet cable can be difficult to install.
We hear this a lot and I'm sure it's true. However, it would be interesting to know in what proportion of homes there are problems with wifi. I have a superhub in our study upstairs, the bedroom V6 in an adjacent room and our lounge box downstairs, directly below the bedroom box. The walls are quite thick here, but the wifi works perfectly on both boxes and all our other equipment - laptop, printer, mobile phones and tablets.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote