Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Free V6 box

Old 16-02-2018, 18:51   #271
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Free V6 box

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabasterLyn View Post
I'm beginning to regret getting ours. Just today the V6 box has gone offline half a dozen times, also the internet has gone down each time the box has, I am guessing the V6 box is going offline as the router in the SuperHub isn't working as well as the one in the old hub.

Never had any issues before and engineer No3 is coming round tomorrow and I doubt that will solve the issues as quite honestly I'm not sure how well trained they are. The one I had today told me that you can only run Apple products on an Apple Router, which is apparently a load of tosh. He did say these new SuperHubs are rubbish and suggested we go out and buy a gaming router, but why should we have to go out and spend a large amount of money just because VM can't sort out a hub that works as it should

Spot on, the wifi from them is utter pants!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2018, 19:17   #272
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Apart from one day last week, my V6 has never rebooted or gone down at all. Same with the SH. Since installing it, I have had zero problems with my equipment.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 19:19   #273
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon View Post
Apart from one day last week, my V6 has never rebooted or gone down at all. Same with the SH. Since installing it, I have had zero problems with my equipment.
Same here. Once it was working properly, it has been fine witb absolutely no problems. Much better than the Tivo, which was flaky in the end.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 20:09   #274
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The engineers do seem to be a particular poor quality these days, they used to be good. Keep ringing and getting them to come out till they fix it. Try the 'thinking of leaving' option when ringing, that usually brings results. Sounds like it's the new hub that's the issue, is it an SH3? I managed to hold on to my SH2ac.
Yes it's an SH3 hub, I think our previous one was one of the very first superhubs but we had it set to modem mode and used our Apple router and all worked fine. This SH3 hub is set to router mode, which I think is one of the issues, I am only getting a speed of 37Mbps, which could be why the V6 box keeps losing it's connection, although I could be wrong, not being very up to date with all the techy stuff.

Yes the engineers do not seem to be very good, the one we had today was very nice but he'd only been with VM for 2mths and obviously some of the things he told us weren't actually correct and obviously something is wrong.

I will definitely threaten to leave if they don't sort it out. I know we have a new 12mth contract but I would imagine that only applies if they are keeping to their side of the contract, which they don't appear to be.

I don't think the V6 box is working right either as I'm sure when we first got it that when I clicked on the 'info' on the remote control and scrolled down I was able to see all the other channels the box was tuned into and they were all different. Right now it's tuned into the channel I am watching and all the other 5 are tuned into BBC1, which makes no sense
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 20:20   #275
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

You could just try switching everything on and off again, but you've probably already done that. Although you shouldn't have to use modem mode to get VMs superduds to work properly, it's the only way I've ever used them. Otherwise let VM sort it, that's what you pay them for. It sounds weird like there s an issue with your cable connection, in which case its deffo for them to sort.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 20:27   #276
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You could just try switching everything on and off again, but you've probably already done that. Although you shouldn't have to use modem mode to get VMs superduds to work properly, it's the only way I've ever used them. Otherwise let VM sort it, that's what you pay them for. It sounds weird like there s an issue with your cable connection, in which case its deffo for them to sort.
Yes I've switched everything on and off quite a few times, doesn't make any difference really. I was wondering if maybe I had too many things running close to each other as I have the SH3, a Hive hub and my Apple router all next to each other, although the engineer didn't say anything when he saw them
Old 16-02-2018, 20:33   #277
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabasterLyn View Post
I don't think the V6 box is working right either as I'm sure when we first got it that when I clicked on the 'info' on the remote control and scrolled down I was able to see all the other channels the box was tuned into and they were all different. Right now it's tuned into the channel I am watching and all the other 5 are tuned into BBC1, which makes no sense
That's completely normal. When you reboot the box, all tuners go to the same channel. They'll only change when you use them for something else.

I agree you have a broadband fault though.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 21:30   #278
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That's completely normal. When you reboot the box, all tuners go to the same channel. They'll only change when you use them for something else.

I agree you have a broadband fault though.
See I didn't know that, I just sit here and keep thinking why I have flipping Eastenders on 4 of the tuners
Old 16-02-2018, 21:57   #279
divingbrit
cf.member

Services: V6 Box Tivo 150 ish download speed
divingbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

We have had our V6 and new hub for thee days, and it has taken four phone calls, each time the box was getting slightly better and better, seems there is a lot that can be tweaked, and I would say to anyone who is not satisfied to give them a ring, explain what is wrong, and we have had it fixed.
Compared with the Tivo it is very much faster,
divingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 22:11   #280
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingbrit View Post
We have had our V6 and new hub for thee days, and it has taken four phone calls, each time the box was getting slightly better and better, seems there is a lot that can be tweaked, and I would say to anyone who is not satisfied to give them a ring, explain what is wrong, and we have had it fixed.
Compared with the Tivo it is very much faster,
It is faster but it is dependent on a separate internet connection, which can be it's achilles heel.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 00:00   #281
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently looking into upgrading my 1080P TV to a 4K TV. (Mainly for use with the V6 and a Playstation 4 Pro.

Just wondering if you have any recommendations - I notice that the V6 appears to be having some slight issues with some manufactures regarding the video output settings.

I have a budget between £500 & £1000
Doubt i will need FREEVIEW etc, due to having Virgin Services and IPLAYER etc on the box. (But it seems you cannot buy a new TV without the added SMART FUNCTIONS.)

This is the TV i am currently looking at - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...60553-pdt.html
Thanks for your input!
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 01:01   #282
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacmillaN View Post
I am currently looking into upgrading my 1080P TV to a 4K TV. (Mainly for use with the V6 and a Playstation 4 Pro.

Just wondering if you have any recommendations - I notice that the V6 appears to be having some slight issues with some manufactures regarding the video output settings.

I have a budget between £500 & £1000
Doubt i will need FREEVIEW etc, due to having Virgin Services and IPLAYER etc on the box. (But it seems you cannot buy a new TV without the added SMART FUNCTIONS.)

This is the TV i am currently looking at - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...60553-pdt.html
Thanks for your input!
Smart functions on the TV are standard now. You don't have to use them!

Looks like a decent enough TV to me.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 10:22   #283
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Just don't even connect to WiFi during setup and you can't even use it by accident.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 13:34   #284
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an issue this morning upon powering my V6 on.
Every channel aside from the BBC1 to Channel 5 was showing some-kind of you are not authorized to view this channel message, please call 150.

Although a reset of the V6 somehow managed to resolve the above issue, just found it strange.
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 14:16   #285
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Spot on, the wifi from them is utter pants!
Mines fine. Have topped out at 400Mb though my phone on speedtests plus the two V6 boxes are connected to it by Wi-Fi.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote