Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Old 11-10-2018, 17:46   #136
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
Bang on!

Another point is that the order for the cake was accepted by the employee on the floor.

It was only when the bosses saw it that they refused.
Yup, if the member of staff was trained to know what would be acceptable or not, the whole sorry affair would have never occurred.

Of the rights enshrined in the Human Rights act, the right to follow a religion should take least preference. After all, it is a choice to follow a particular religion and not an inherent part of who you are.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2018, 18:27   #137
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Or, put another way, the seller offers to provide a service, such as making cakes to order, which the customer accepts.
[SEPH]: Yes - that's true. Either party can make an offer for the other to accept. That's contract law as I'm sure you know. In this case, the customer had a specific requirement - lettering on the cake; this was not on offer from the seller so the offer to buy came from the customer and the seller refused to sell.

If a supermarket offers goods for sale at a reduced price by mistake, it is bound to sell it to the customer for the advertised price nonetheless. [SEPH]: That is wrong. When the customer turns up at the till, and the correct price shows up, the item is still the property of the supermarket and the customer has the option of buying at the correct price. I'm surprised that you didn't know that.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 18:51   #138
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

If a supermarket offers goods for sale at a reduced price by mistake, it is bound to sell it to the customer for the advertised price nonetheless.
It absolutely is not.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 20:21   #139
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
It absolutely is not.
I could have put that better. I agree that it is only if the product is sold, it should be at the price advertised.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel43 View Post
Its his business he should be able to sell to who he wants to.
...And lose the goodwill (and sales) to a whole section of the community.

I certainly wouldn't go there with such an opinionated person running the shop. He deserves to go bust.

There is this old saying about the customer always being right.

Unless you happen to be a religious zealot, no doubt!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 20:26   #140
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
...And lose the goodwill (and sales) to a whole section of the community.
Depends on how many of that 'community' use the shop. I suspect few if any so I can't see the bakers being too bothered.

At the end of the day they stood up for what they believe in and should be commended. They have nothing against the customer, only what he was trying to say.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 20:35   #141
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I agree 100%.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 20:53   #142
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I could have put that better. I agree that it is only if the product is sold, it should be at the price advertised.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

<SNIP>
You were very definite about what you originally said. Not a case of being able to "put it better".

To remind - you said:

If a supermarket offers goods for sale at a reduced price by mistake, it is bound to sell it to the customer for the advertised price nonetheless.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 20:57   #143
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
[/B]

Not true. They can refuse to sell at the mistaken price.
Spot on. Basic contract law. Legally, the buyer is offering to pay for the product. The shop accepts the offer and provides the good. If the potential buyer doesn't offer the required price, the shop can decline the customer's offer.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 22:34   #144
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Yup, if the member of staff was trained to know what would be acceptable or not, the whole sorry affair would have never occurred.

Of the rights enshrined in the Human Rights act, the right to follow a religion should take least preference. After all, it is a choice to follow a particular religion and not an inherent part of who you are.
Of all the posts I’ve seen on this forum that thoroughly misunderstand religious faith, this is probably the most succinct.

Faith isn’t a simple matter of choice; for many people, especially those from minority communities, following a religion is very much part of their community, and therefore their personal identity - the deep connection between the two is frequently misunderstood by Westerners.

For those who “choose” a religion outside of their upbringing there is often profound change in their way of living caused by the emergence of deep personal convictions. To even attempt to make a hierarchy of rights as you’re trying to do doesn’t just misunderstand what faith is, it’s just a bit ... well, crass. Sorry.

Also please don’t forget that London isn’t a typical world city and Western European democracies aren’t typical of human community the world over. The idea that religion is a personal bolt-on to be afforded minimal regard is a peculiarly modern, Western idea with very little analog in the present or the past.

And ... finally ... also bear in mind that that well-known religious zealot, Peter Tatchell, has supported the Ashers’ case from the outset. As a human rights campaigner of many years experience he’s well aware that you can’t pick and choose who gets to exercise their conscience and who doesn’t. Societies that try to legislate for that do tend to get it horribly wrong.

Thankfully, in this case, the Supreme Court has ruled that this is not what we have legislated for and the Ashers - and everyone else - remain free to choose, whether to personally or via business, what political or social causes to endorse. You don’t have to like what they believe but you do have to respect their right to believe it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 23:02   #145
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Thankfully - the Supreme Court disagrees with you.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 23:31   #146
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Of all the posts I’ve seen on this forum that thoroughly misunderstand religious faith, this is probably the most succinct.

Faith isn’t a simple matter of choice; for many people, especially those from minority communities, following a religion is very much part of their community, and therefore their personal identity - the deep connection between the two is frequently misunderstood by Westerners.

For those who “choose” a religion outside of their upbringing there is often profound change in their way of living caused by the emergence of deep personal convictions. To even attempt to make a hierarchy of rights as you’re trying to do doesn’t just misunderstand what faith is, it’s just a bit ... well, crass. Sorry.

Also please don’t forget that London isn’t a typical world city and Western European democracies aren’t typical of human community the world over. The idea that religion is a personal bolt-on to be afforded minimal regard is a peculiarly modern, Western idea with very little analog in the present or the past.

And ... finally ... also bear in mind that that well-known religious zealot, Peter Tatchell, has supported the Ashers’ case from the outset. As a human rights campaigner of many years experience he’s well aware that you can’t pick and choose who gets to exercise their conscience and who doesn’t. Societies that try to legislate for that do tend to get it horribly wrong.

Thankfully, in this case, the Supreme Court has ruled that this is not what we have legislated for and the Ashers - and everyone else - remain free to choose, whether to personally or via business, what political or social causes to endorse. You don’t have to like what they believe but you do have to respect their right to believe it.
If people were prevented from following a particular religion, I would be up there protesting. Whilst that belief for some may be indoctrinated from birth and sincerely held, as an adult, there is always the choice to act as your humanity dictates rather than as a book dictates.
Old 12-10-2018, 00:50   #147
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
If people were prevented from following a particular religion, I would be up there protesting. Whilst that belief for some may be indoctrinated from birth and sincerely held, as an adult, there is always the choice to act as your humanity dictates rather than as a book dictates.
Again ... missing the point by a country mile. Humanity dictates vs. Book dictates is trite, and not a choice anyone with a deeply held, sincere faith would recognise. I don’t know whether you were brought up without a faith or whether you’ve rejected one somewhere along the way, but your understanding of faith appears to be based on casually-held parodies. If that’s the case it’s unsurprising that this judgment has surprised you - our law and our most senior judges still have a more rounded and dare I say mature understanding of how faith works in individuals and communities, hence the result the Ashers won this week (which, IMO, was never in doubt once the case reached the Supreme Court - the law simply doesn’t legislate against moral objections to political causes, no matter how worthy you think those causes are).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:35   #148
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Depends...

If they had said "i'm not serving your because you are black/gay/muslim/female (put in protected characteristic)", yes, then they should have been prosecuted, as that would have been blatant discrimination.
Few people who seek to discriminate against such groups would be so blatant, what usually happens is that it's done much more subtly.

In one of the cases that I won regarding a company discriminating against me on the grounds of my disability the judge considered not only what was said, but their tone, actions and a threat to refuse to continue to provide service to me because I had made a complaint about one particular member of staff whose behaviour was subsequently deemed to be harrassment.

Comparisons were also made to the way in which similar situations were dealt with compared to mine.

This is the case where the settlement enabled me to offer financial assistance to charities nominated by forum members.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:18   #149
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Again ... missing the point by a country mile. Humanity dictates vs. Book dictates is trite, and not a choice anyone with a deeply held, sincere faith would recognise. I don’t know whether you were brought up without a faith or whether you’ve rejected one somewhere along the way, but your understanding of faith appears to be based on casually-held parodies. If that’s the case it’s unsurprising that this judgment has surprised you - our law and our most senior judges still have a more rounded and dare I say mature understanding of how faith works in individuals and communities, hence the result the Ashers won this week (which, IMO, was never in doubt once the case reached the Supreme Court - the law simply doesn’t legislate against moral objections to political causes, no matter how worthy you think those causes are).
I just realised a long time ago there is no god.

However, I understand many people need that belief and the fellowship they get from religion. Having deeply and sincerely held views.

What I do not agree with, is the use of that religious belief to treat people differently or less favourably. Societal expectations are just as bad, with such as a caste system holding people unfairly as somehow lesser.

The idea that people who love one another should not be allowed to legally marry based on a book, or campaign to have that marriage accepted when it genuinely harms no one, I have great difficulty with.

The use of belief as reason to treat someone less favourably because of a political view, whilst agreed by the Supreme Court, also feels morally wrong.

In this case tit for tat has already started.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:40   #150
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You were very definite about what you originally said. Not a case of being able to "put it better".

To remind - you said:

I know what I said, Seph, and I should have made it clear that this applies only if the item is actually sold. Hopefully, that clarifies my clarification.

OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote