Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

Old 07-04-2009, 13:42   #46
mikes12345
Inactive

Services: 2 x TIVO 500GB, XL TV, BB XL 60MB
mikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nice
Re: An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
Freesat only has 2 HD channels so i wouldnt say that is much more if your gf had SKY HD i could see your point but comparing ot Freesat isa bit unfair i say
I take your point but the way I see it 2 HD channels is 100% more than VM and Freesat is free, VM isn't so I don't think it is an entirely unfair comparison.

I've seen Sky HD as well and I agree that is where you really see a difference, especially as that is comparing pay tv with pay tv!
mikes12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2009, 16:31   #47
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

So would the users who are so anxious to have more HD be willing to pay an additional price for the HD?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:40   #48
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Yeah i would! NOT for Chnl4HD or ITV HD - i don't that should be allowed or justafiable.

But for Sky Movies/Sports and Eurosport HD, yeah i would. Maybe a another few quid a month.

Oh and i think "anxious" is an emotive word to use - it seems to imply that HD "wanters" are asking for something "unbelieveable" and we're really not.
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 16:49   #49
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

anxious alspo means cant wait
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 17:07   #50
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
So would the users who are so anxious to have more HD be willing to pay an additional price for the HD?
Yes

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 18:58   #51
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
anxious alspo means cant wait
I know but i'm guessing that wasn't the inference here...
Old 07-04-2009, 23:14   #52
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
I certainly would, not as mentioned above for C4-HD or ITV-HD, but £2-3 would be reasonable for four HD channels, I'm just going on what Sky charge for their thirty plus HD channels, which I believe is £9.50pm, having said that I seem to recall reading somewhere that Sky were considering dropping this charge.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:10   #53
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
I certainly would, not as mentioned above for C4-HD or ITV-HD, but £2-3 would be reasonable for four HD channels, I'm just going on what Sky charge for their thirty plus HD channels, which I believe is £9.50pm, having said that I seem to recall reading somewhere that Sky were considering dropping this charge.
and sky charge £10 a month for there few channels i think 6 at the begining so some could say it not unreasonable to think virign could charge it, however i to think it should be cheaper for a few hd channels but for virign to try take the bit out of sky make it cheaper
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59   #54
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post

Sky is more easily available, i get that, and therefore will always have the money, influence and be quicker "on the ball" with new technologies. FINE! But if this was a 100m race then Sky are already half way down the track whilst VM are still in the dressing room putting on their jockstrap.
I do agree that if they are to compete with Sky, they need to have more linear HD channels. On demand is good (I use it regularly), but the cliff hangers used as the end of certain TV Series lose a little of their impact if you can just watch the next episode immediately because there is no time to build up anticipation.

As for Sky, well, they have two advantages over VM. One of which VM could go some way to removing, but won't for various reasons.
  1. VM have a lot more hardware to maintain. They have the super head ends, the regional head ends, thousands of miles of cable and the user's STBs to maintain. Sky have a lot of hardware, but they do not maintain thousands of miles of cable, and are not responsible for the maintenance of the user's STB. Beyond the warranty and what the user is willing to pay for. As such, Sky can broadcast to most of the country relatively cheaply,
  2. Sky have the financial backing of what is arguably one of the largest companies of any kind in the world. A company that has repeatedly shown it is willing to invest a lot of money in new media even where it is taking very heavy losses. Thus, Sky do not have to turn a profit.

Now, VM can remove some of their costs for the 1st problem, simply by offering users the chance to *buy* STBs and offering a warranty rather than free repairs for life. The same thing Sky do. They could also offer different models of box. For instance, with the V+, they could offer a basic V+ with no Hi Def and an 80Gig hard drive, then one with the same spec and a 160 Gig Drive, then one with HD and a 320 or 500 Gig drive.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36   #55
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Good points Stuart, though i for one hope they don;t chnage and become like Sky and make you buy your boxes and insurance - it's a massive tick in VM box that they do not.

HOWEVER i fully appreciate that if they need revenew (spl?) for products like HD this would be a good place to get some extra cash.

Though they'd have to be careful to offset that cash boost against losing customers over it - the loss would probably be neglibable though.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13   #56
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

A difference is that Sky's home equipment isn't connected to their network. If it goes funny it's not going to damage any other Sky equipment and unless it goes really nuclear isn't going to affect other Sky customers. With our service you are connected to our network and if the box starts sending crud back upstream it can affect others. Hence we really need to keep tighter control on what gets attached.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:36   #57
nutellajunkie
Inactive

nutellajunkie will become famous soon enoughnutellajunkie will become famous soon enoughnutellajunkie will become famous soon enough

Ive got a lovely HD telly, and I am unlucky enough to have bad sight.. so to be honest, HD content will never interest me, im just glad to have a nice picture in widescreen without a flicker
nutellajunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40   #58
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Good points Stuart, though i for one hope they don;t chnage and become like Sky and make you buy your boxes and insurance - it's a massive tick in VM box that they do not.

HOWEVER i fully appreciate that if they need revenew (spl?) for products like HD this would be a good place to get some extra cash.

Though they'd have to be careful to offset that cash boost against losing customers over it - the loss would probably be neglibable though.
i agree,good points.VM's set tops are seen as an asset,i.e. part of the companies worth,i think for this reason they will not change the supply/maintainance aspect of the set tops
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 17:48   #59
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I shall explain, why l have a gripe and am very angry about the whole situation, an why l feel conned by VM.

When l found out that VM were going to get HD channels, l went and bought the V+ box and then spent another £800 on a HD TV, ready for it, then what happens, NOTHING, we get all this crap from VM saying we are going to get it, it is all a con, l could quite easily, go over to Sky and get there 32 channels, but l want to stay loyal, BUT not for much longer.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 20:18   #60
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Oh so you lied about already having sky then arthur? ie the sjky channels keeping makign things into your way and not saying the whoile truth? jsut like you are odign with HD? if you are going ot be critially at least be honest and both critise and appaulaude things