Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 18-06-2018, 08:20   #661
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
BBC are using HLG, a form of HDR.

If your tv can play the FA Cup HLG UHD Beta demo, you are ok.

My V6 box buffers more than my Samsung tv and my Hub 2 router speed crashed once @ 200mbps.

Ordered new Hub 3 router with 350mbps.
Where is that demo?
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2018, 08:25   #662
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I been trying to watch the world Cup uhd and tried both the V6 box and the my LG Uhd smart TV connecting to the bbc iplayer both buffers soo much I have 200 mb speed I just don't know what to try next have rebooted modem a few times incase it helps but never does any help please
There probably isn't anything wrong in your home. As far as I know, everyone is getting these problems. All I can suggest is to keep trying it, and hope the problems get fixed quickly.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:08   #663
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
Where is that demo?
Go into the BBC iPlayer App on the V6, go to settings, turn on "Beta", then go back into Settings, and there should be an option for the HLG Blue Planet Demo (and anything else).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:18   #664
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Alot of people can't due to their TV with the format the BBC are using, i think it sucks.
That's because for the trial, the TV has to support WCG/BT.2020 over HDMI, as the HLG format only works properly with that colour space format. HLG on TVs that don't support BT.2020 will have muted colours i.e. not the intended ones.

And this is a trial of HLG for live events, it's not a general 4K trial, so the BBC aren't producing a stream that would work on TVs without the BT.2020 support.
Old 18-06-2018, 10:28   #665
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

My experience with BBC UHD over the weekend has been fairly positive.

The picture quality is amazing and definitely an improvement on HD. You may not notice and first, but when you switch back to the HD channel, the players, the pitch and the background aren't as clear. I never had any issues when accessing the UHD feed either, I was able to access it straight away.

The negatives were the buffering video, audio kept going, but it is only a trial.
It's a shame the UHD feed is quite behind the live HD feed, but hopefully they will be able to reduce this time lag as they do more trials.

Overall things are looking good for UHD on the BBC. Just need to iron a few things out, which I'm sure they will do.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 18-06-2018 at 10:34.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 11:22   #666
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Anyone had the 4k HLG World Cup iplayer stream working via WI FI without using a wired ethernet connection?

I know they advise wired.
Both my devices are wired I watched a few 4k tennis on eurosport the other week and it was 100% so I guess the bbc have problems
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 12:47   #667
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Go into the BBC iPlayer App on the V6, go to settings, turn on "Beta", then go back into Settings, and there should be an option for the HLG Blue Planet Demo (and anything else).
Ah yes I get that demo.

I have not yet been presented with the UHD World Cup option via the iPlayer app on the V6, but I have on the TV app.
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 14:17   #668
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Both my devices are wired I watched a few 4k tennis on eurosport the other week and it was 100% so I guess the bbc have problems
Tennis was broadcast.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:14   #669
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

In fairness the picture quality on BBC One HD currently is looking pretty good if I'm honest and with no buffering or audio issues.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:29   #670
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I've just been watching the Belgium v Panama game on my 4K UHD TV, and to be honest, I'm not seeing any difference when I have it on the UHD feed, to me, the HD feed is as good as the UHD feed.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:29   #671
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
Tennis was broadcast.
But wasn't HDR
Old 18-06-2018, 16:37   #672
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I've just been watching the Belgium v Panama game on my 4K UHD TV, and to be honest, I'm not seeing any difference when I have it on the UHD feed, to me, the HD feed is as good as the UHD feed.
All a big con it seems MM.
Old 18-06-2018, 17:11   #673
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I could definitely see an improvement on my tv. The picture was clear, but so was everything in the background too.

I'm sure when we went from SD to HD, there were people who couldn't tell the different either. Now...SD looks blurry as hell
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 18:02   #674
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

When you go back to HD from UHD it is like going from HD to SD.

And HLG makes a huge difference to the lighting, it is very natural.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 18:09   #675
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
When you go back to HD from UHD it is like going from HD to SD.

And HLG makes a huge difference to the lighting, it is very natural.
I don't agree, I saw, and still see, a huge difference between SD and HD, but as I said earlier, the difference between UHD and HD when I watched the football did not have the same effect as the difference between SD and HD imo, if there was a difference between the HD feed and the UHD feed
it was minimal imo.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote