Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet issues.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Internet issues.

Old 27-09-2018, 10:08   #46
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Internet issues.

I leave my SH1 on all the time, together with the router and switches. The power used is really tiny compared to the refrigerator and freezers (~400W when running) and they're on 24/7.

You could always put it under the bed?
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2018, 10:30   #47
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I leave my SH1 on all the time, together with the router and switches. The power used is really tiny compared to the refrigerator and freezers (~400W when running) and they're on 24/7.

You could always put it under the bed?

Why should the TIVO or HUB be left on 24/7 ?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:47   #48
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Why should the TIVO or HUB be left on 24/7 ?
For the broadband maybe not now but looking at the future voip will need the modem to be online 24/7 or you Will loess Phone Services good to get into the habit of keeping it on.

We keep our modem on all the time.
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:14   #49
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Also the latest Tivo uses your broadband connection to update its programme info. and also for on demand programmes.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:52   #50
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
For the broadband maybe not now but looking at the future voip will need the modem to be online 24/7 or you Will loess Phone Services good to get into the habit of keeping it on.

We keep our modem on all the time.

If the electric is cut then using VoIP will not work.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 12:09   #51
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

There are other reasons why I turn off the hub at night, not worth getting into, but suffice to say that this problem only recently started and I'd like to stop it. I have now diagnosed that it is only my PC that is affected, and wifi connectivity is not stopping.

I do not use VM phone services as they are horrifically expensive, and have no intention in using their VOIP service unless it's basically free.

Plus I do not use On Demand TV whilst I am asleep, and have never had a problem with V6 updates, they just get done when I power up in the morning.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 13:24   #52
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
If the electric is cut then using VoIP will not work.
Which is why I don't like it.
Old 27-09-2018, 17:25   #53
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Which is why I don't like it.
Neither will DECT phones as the base station runs off the mains.

I have an ancient Mitel phone that lives near the phone socket that I can use during mains failures.
Old 27-09-2018, 17:31   #54
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Neither will DECT phones as the base station runs off the mains.

I have an ancient Mitel phone that lives near the phone socket that I can use during mains failures.
Lived in and around Whitchurch until 3or so years ago Still come back for rugby season.Unless l have been away when it happened I can not recall a powercut in 30 years or so. Virgin going down many times , electric no
Old 27-09-2018, 18:42   #55
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Lived in and around Whitchurch until 3or so years ago Still come back for rugby season.Unless l have been away when it happened I can not recall a powercut in 30 years or so. Virgin going down many times , electric no
We're on a different loop down here, glitches are still common, but full failures are down to a couple year.

Touch wood....
Old 28-09-2018, 11:03   #56
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

[QUOTE=Taf;35964626]Neither will DECT phones as the base station runs off the mains.

I have an ancient Mitel phone that lives near the phone socket that I can use during mains failures.[/QUOTE

We have an old basic phone in a spare socket near the front door. Easy to find and should work in a powercut if it's supplied with power down the line.

Using land line is also preferable to call emergency services - easy to locate where call is from very precisely.
Old 28-09-2018, 12:47   #57
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
There is a "local capacity fault" (F006551532) but no idea what is wrong or when it's going to be fixed.

Meanwhile another thing has been bugging me:

I switch off my PC up to a few times a day. Never a problem after reboot, the internet connection is always solid (if at half speed).

EXCEPT:

Switch on the PC after turning on the modem at the start of the day, or after the connection dropped out due to VM fiddling to fix the local fault, and Windows says there is no internet connection. I have to go into Network Connections, LAN Status, run a diagnostic which then allows me to Reset The LAN. Then it's all OK again.
Powered up this morning, and the LAN was recognised and speed is back to where it should be. Without me changing or moving anything.