Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Government & Post Election Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Government & Post Election Discussion
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:23   #1366
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Sorry, I had not seen this part of your reply when I made mine Old Boy, the DP function makes it tough for me to navigate - better late than never, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The EU certainly has a choice. Start negotiating or the UK becomes your aggressive competitor. Their choice.
Hmmm, think that the EU is shaking in their boots at the idea of "aggressive competition" from the UK or is licking their lips at the idea, or somewhere between?

Quote:
Frankly, I am OK with no deal and fall out, but understanding that this will cause short term disruption which many people are uneasy with, I am happy for Theresa May to attempt a deal in everyone's interests.
How magnanimous of you though surely her behavior and constant repetition syndrome makes it all the more likely to end in disruption? If she could pull her finger out of her ass, it may just help some. Or at least first remove Michael Gove, Boris Johnson's, and David Davis's hands...

Quote:
However, make no mistake, a no deal with the EU will hurt both sides, and while the UK will recover, the EU will slip into disadvantage, trying to compete with our lower tax rates, reduced bureaucracy and our new found entrepreneurism.
New found entepeneurism?? What? A health secretary who tells business not to announce job losses, a PM who is busy agreeing with Unite and umm remind me what the foreign secretary said the other day? Oh, yes...(I don't know if the rules are okay with me linking to an article with such language in the headline so I will avoid it for now).

Only JRM / Phillip Hammond are even arguing for lower taxes - Hammond said that the UK may turn into a tax haven and JRM said that the way to grow an economy is to keep taxes low. (Yesterday). That was of course, in response to May saying that she would raise taxes to fund the NHS. (While agreeing with unite, a union).

How many times...nationalism and Free market economics are the total antitheses of one another.

If we were to remain a society that wished to tax less, spend less etc (more trade etc) we wouldn't have quit the EU.

Osbourne warned that we may need an emergency budget if we left - look who is now trying to increase taxes to fund the NHS. Good job Hammond / JRM are here to say no.

FYI, last time that Hammond tried to raise rates it was over NI contributions - he couldn't as his own backbenchers said no. So May called a GE to increase her majority. We all know what happened. See if she wants to try play that game a second time. Time to call her bluff.
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2018, 04:36   #1367
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Well, you've certainly twisted that nicely, Chloé!
Me twisting it? There is one woman who has the mental and rhythmic gymnastics to destroy the English language...it is not me. The contortions between "We're leaving the CU" to "we want friction less trade" to "we want no hard border" to "we will not be in the same trading bloc with the RoI" to "We will pay 40 billion as a divorce settlement" to "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" to "we are leaving the SM" to "We will stay in the SM for goods and not services" and on and on and on.

Did you think that I was masquerading as May or something? I know that we are both women but I am not the one who has twisted or spun anything. Again with just randomly making up stuff about me.

Quote:
First of all, I have not compared you with anyone - I don't know you.
You're right, you don't know me...yet you still saw it upon yourself to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boy
Ah-ha: someone else on the bandwagon now openly trying to convince everyone that nothing can be changed - everything is fixed - we are all doomed.

This is the same kind of mentality Churchill faced in the late 1930s with Hitler, with the majority of the Commons arguing that appeasement was the only option, and interestingly, the public disagreed with their politicians then too.
You are saying that mine is same mentality that that Churchill faced with the appeasement of Hitler being the only option. You are comparing my mentality of to that of the "appease Hitler" crowd.

Quote:
I was commenting on an attitude of hopelessness, negativity and fear of signing up to change.
Now show me one place where I have had an attitude of hopelessness negativity and fear to change?

FYI it was hardly change back in the 1930's either (for the ones who refused to join Churchill) - they went to war with Germany at the start of the century, too in WW1.

Just quit making up stuff about me.

Quote:
I am not in awe of Theresa May, but I feel she deserves some credit for getting us where we are despite the adversity she faces.
I am glad that someone has owned up to it....

Quote:
You can campaign to ditch May if you want to, but who else is there who can get even close to Brexit without fudging it?
I am not saying that I want to get close to it, getting the UK out of Europe is not some big priority of mine. The reason that I want rid of her is because she is the most pathetic person that this country has ever had the misfortune of calling "Prime Minister".

Quote:
Yes, most would have given up long ago and that is why she deserves credit. She's got a lot further than Cameron ever did.
What??? On what level did she ever get farther than Cameron??

What specifically are you referencing that she got farther than Cameron on?
Old 03-07-2018, 23:59   #1368
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

More squabbles over how spending increases can be funded.
Quote:
May close to lifting fuel duty freeze to help meet NHS promises
Exclusive: Ministers also considering end to cap on alcohol taxes to boost public spending and cut deficit
The government is close to lifting its eight-year long freeze on fuel duty to raise billions of pounds to help meet pressure from cabinet ministers to boost public spending while also continuing to reduce the deficit.
An inflation-linked increase would raise £800m extra for Treasury coffers next year – and billions more over subsequent years – to help pay for Theresa May’s promise to spend an additional £20bn on the National Health Service by 2023, a pledge which the prime minister had said would partly be funded through a “Brexit dividend”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-nhs-promises

Quote:
THERESA MAY was last night urged to cut Britain’s mammoth overseas aid budget before raising fuel duty by furious Tory MPs.
Campaigner Rob Halfon said a fuel duty hike to pay for the Government’s £20billion NHS boost would be “absolute madness” after the Treasury refused to rule out the shock move.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/668825...ious-mps-warn/
Old 04-07-2018, 07:11   #1369
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Sadly the Conservative party are just as much in denial with Islamophobia as the Labour party are with Antisemitism.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hin-tory-party

Quote:
Sayeeda Warsi has called on the Conservatives to launch a “full independent inquiry” into Islamophobia in the party and warned the Tories were pursuing a politically damaging policy of denial about the problem in its own ranks.
Quote:
The peer warned that the Conservatives needed to learn lessons from Labour’s antisemitism row and complained that she had repeatedly raised the issue over the past three years – including writing to Theresa May – but added “absolutely nothing tangible has happened”.
Old 04-07-2018, 23:54   #1370
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sadly the Conservative party are just as much in denial with Islamophobia as the Labour party are with Antisemitism.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hin-tory-party
You'd have thought they'd have learnt from Corbyn's mistakes. Clearly not.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:26   #1371
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You'd have thought they'd have learnt from Corbyn's mistakes. Clearly not.
Too many politicians pay insincere lip service Andrew...
Old 09-07-2018, 00:14   #1372
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well, I hope you will join me in applauding Theresa May when she announces the deal that so many pessimists and remainers say she will never get, and despite the odds you mention!
Looking forward to reading more about you applauding Theresa May, Old Boy.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:24   #1373
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Doubt it. If the backbenchers have their way she's on her way out.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:08   #1374
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The words Political terminality springs to mind.
Old 09-07-2018, 15:27   #1375
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I think BoJo’s resignation makes that a likely prospect now.
Old 09-07-2018, 17:21   #1376
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, she certainly tried to force her hand!

WTO, here we come, with TM still in charge. And Jeremy agonising over his bus fares, which is proving rather a difficult nut to crack. Maybe he should ditch the idea and move on to litter.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:50   #1377
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Well, she certainly tried to force her hand!

WTO, here we come, with TM still in charge. And Jeremy agonising over his bus fares, which is proving rather a difficult nut to crack. Maybe he should ditch the idea and move on to litter.
With all due respect he's addressing issues that many of us want to be addressed.Someone has to speak up about the appalling transport system that we have as the present government seems unable to sort it out.
Old 10-07-2018, 13:43   #1378
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
With all due respect he's addressing issues that many of us want to be addressed.Someone has to speak up about the appalling transport system that we have as the present government seems unable to sort it out.
You are right, Maggie, but right now the priority is Brexit.
Old 10-07-2018, 14:00   #1379
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
You are right, Maggie, but right now the priority is Brexit.
Governments who take their eyes off the ball are usually punished at the ballot box whether its Brexit or not..
Old 10-07-2018, 16:02   #1380
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Governments who take their eyes off the ball are usually punished at the ballot box whether its Brexit or not..
I think practically everyone's eyes are on Brexit, Den!
Closed Thread