Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My Wi-Fi seams to not operate on Shub3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

My Wi-Fi seams to not operate on Shub3

Old 22-08-2018, 17:14   #1
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point
My Wi-Fi seams to not operate on Shub3

Hi Folks.
up until today my Wifi worked flawlessly on my Epson 1500w Printer and my Moto G4 phone. I have switched Router off & on a couple of times but no luck. No access via my TP-Link either, upstairs or downstairs.
The phone will connect, then it will disconnect, and keeps on doing it..

Has my Router gone up creek or is it Virgins end...Fed Up..
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2018, 17:47   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: My Wi-Fi seams to not operate on Shrub3

Is the rest of your internet connection working? (Any wired connections still get access to the wider world?).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 21:10   #3
copernob
cf.addict

Re: My Wi-Fi seams to not operate on Shub3

Yes, All other thing 100% working...I find this strange and only started today. One hour ago the Wi-fi worked on phone via Virgin but not my TP-Link. Nothing else showed on phone. Downstairs the Virgin went off and vanished but the TP-Link came on...Strange..In thne Router it said "There is No Telephone Service" but phone works.."Low Signal Strength to Epson 1500w" Authentication Problem on phone..
Old 22-08-2018, 21:32   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
Yes, All other thing 100% working...I find this strange and only started today. One hour ago the Wi-fi worked on phone via Virgin but not my TP-Link. Nothing else showed on phone. Downstairs the Virgin went off and vanished but the TP-Link came on...Strange..In thne Router it said "There is No Telephone Service" but phone works.."Low Signal Strength to Epson 1500w" Authentication Problem on phone..
That is normal the telephone(landline) has nothing to do with your internet or Hub3 unless you're on a trial if a trial is available.

I would try turning off the Hub3 and TP-LINK as you didn't say if you turned the TP-Link off before?
Old 22-08-2018, 21:37   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

The tp link will show the wifi connection as being down if it knows it hasnt got internet access, which it didnt because it goes through the shub and the shub was pooped.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 00:13   #6
copernob
cf.addict

OK--I turned off the TP-Link and then reset it whilst I pressed the Wi-Fi button on Router..All day today I had Good Wifi on phone. Tonight it keeps going off n on...Never had a problem in all the years I been with Virgin until now...They must be doing something to cause this, or this Shrub3 is going faulty surely.
Old 24-08-2018, 08:11   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

unless there has been a dodgy software update nothing VM do on the network is going to affect the wifi on the shub.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 00:04   #8
copernob
cf.addict

So you reckon it could be my TP-Link gone dodgy/ ? Thinking of buying the ASUS RT-AC68U Router and use this Shrub 3 as a modem. Would that work better ?
Old 19-09-2018, 07:30   #9
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you reckon it could be my TP-Link gone dodgy/ ? Thinking of buying the ASUS RT-AC68U Router and use this Shrub 3 as a modem. Would that work better ?
Quick answer yes. Before VM upped the broadband speed to 350 Mb we had various problems affecting all services for about 3 months (only a few days in total) Phone stopped a few times because of links falling off at the exchange Internet and TV went off for periods of several hours at a time. Ringing VM most times there was info on the phone.

Actual outages only lasted about 24 hours over the period.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 15:48   #10
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
That's what I did with my old Shub 1. Found Wifi would last about a week before the router needed to be rebooted, so switched it to Modem mode, bought a decent router (which I have since replaced several times, most recently by an Orbi router and satellite). Even though I now have a Shub 3, I see no need to go back to using it in Router mode.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 01:34   #11
copernob
cf.addict

Thanks All. I still find it strange that it been working Great for a Very long time, now it's intermittent. Now got the tpPLC (tplink progy) and it shows it working every time..Strange.
Old 21-09-2018, 23:00   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

We might have the same issue. I got the RT-AC88U on Wednesday and I get no or poor wifi downstairs.

On a thread that I started about this someone said it was a firmware cock up.

So I'm in a dilemma send back, wait or install Merlin
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 18:16   #13
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Merlin's firmware is very good, I'd recommend it. It's easy to install and if you don't like it, it's easy to revert back to stock.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 14:29   #14
sinbad
cf.member

sinbad is an unknown quantity at this point

I use merlin, never had a problem even with the beta's
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 14:22   #15
copernob
cf.addict