Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 22-10-2019, 21:47   #1576
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why would Boris ask for an extension when he has pledged to leave by 31 October? You're not really joining up the dots here, jfman.
Old Boy, do you still feel this way? You do have a right to change your mind.
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2019, 21:48   #1577
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Odd that you omitted to quote my first sentence:
Not odd, it’s the point I was making from the start, RE a wrecking amendment.

The 2nd reading of the Bill went through, the timetable for it didn’t. But it will still be read. The numbers that voted to progress the bill may include those that would pass the bill only with an amendment such as a referendum e.g a wrecking amendment.

So we may end up with a week or two debate on the bill, which had a decent majority to get that point, but then only to have it wrecked by an amendment for a 2nd Ref or CU or other. Only then to have Boris pull it because of that and call for a GE, that Labour would find it very hard to weasel out of.
Old 22-10-2019, 21:56   #1578
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Not odd, it’s the point I was making from the start
It is, because you ignored a pertinent point, indeed one that agreed with you.

I doubt Labour are worried about an election to be honest. Boris will be comparable to May on the campaign, lose votes to the Brexit Party and who knows what the pole dancer has up her skirt/sleeve.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Old 22-10-2019, 22:05   #1579
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I doubt Labour are worried about an election to be honest. Boris will be comparable to May on the campaign, lose votes to the Brexit Party and who knows what the pole dancer has up her skirt/sleeve.
Unusually naive of you.

May made a monumental mistake by thinking the 2017 election was about Brexit, which in the mind of the nation then, it wasn’t. Back then Brexit had been sorted, we voted Leave and people turned their attention to other things. Also poor May had as much personality as nasal hair.

No, there is no doubt, that this election - should it happen - will be a surrogate referendum. No body cares a flying duck about education, welfare, nhs, climate change - non of that is on the agenda until Brexit is sorted.
Old 22-10-2019, 22:16   #1580
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Unusually naive of you.

May made a monumental mistake by thinking the 2017 election was about Brexit, which in the mind of the nation then, it wasn’t. Back then Brexit had been sorted, we voted Leave and people turned their attention to other things. Also poor May had as much personality as nasal hair.

No, there is no doubt, that this election - should it happen - will be a surrogate referendum. No body cares a flying duck about education, welfare, nhs, climate change - non of that is on the agenda until Brexit is sorted.
I like getting called naive in this thread. It usually means I’m on the right track. 29th March... 31st October...

A surrogate referendum is hugely risky if Farage comes to the table. The Tories will lose seats in Scotland - that’s 13 they need to find elsewhere to be a minority Government again.
Old 22-10-2019, 22:34   #1581
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
I like getting called naive in this thread. It usually means I’m on the right track. 29th March... 31st October...

A surrogate referendum is hugely risky if Farage comes to the table. The Tories will lose seats in Scotland - that’s 13 they need to find elsewhere to be a minority Government again.
They will lose seats, as will Labour. Scotland will be almost entirely SNP again ( fuelling wee Jimmy Krankys 2nd Indy Ref demands)

Labour will suffer much more than Tory, I see Brexit party impacting Labour more than Tory.

I don’t see Brexit party winning any seats, but diluting Labour letting Tory in.

Depending on arithmetic, don’t rule out DUP propping up Tories again, if that gives them a proper majority with no Tory rebels. With that they could force through no deal, or at least properly threaten it. Potentially getting the EU to give even more ground over N.I.

It's all Up for grabs
Old 22-10-2019, 23:04   #1582
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

If half the labour MP's actually stayed awake they would have had time to read the documents instead of voting it down for no reason
Old 22-10-2019, 23:06   #1583
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I demand more time before I answer that question!

Jfman was putting forward a suggestion that Boris goes voluntarily for an extension, but I said he wouldn't do that because he pledged not to.

Being forced into it is a different thing over which, frankly, he has no control.

A small, technical extension to give a little extra time (another day or so) I can live with, but I accept that if amendments are put forward that the PM cannot agree, he will need to pull the Bill and go for an election. Given that an extension is likely to be in place, there is no reason why the opposition parties shouldn't agree that now.

Then, with a working majority, BJ will be much better placed to push the Bill through. The opposition had better hope that he doesn't go for a no-deal Brexit when he has the votes to do so. Serve 'em right if he does.
Old 22-10-2019, 23:46   #1584
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I demand more time before I answer that question!

Jfman was putting forward a suggestion that Boris goes voluntarily for an extension, but I said he wouldn't do that because he pledged not to.

Being forced into it is a different thing over which, frankly, he has no control.

A small, technical extension to give a little extra time (another day or so) I can live with, but I accept that if amendments are put forward that the PM cannot agree, he will need to pull the Bill and go for an election. Given that an extension is likely to be in place, there is no reason why the opposition parties shouldn't agree that now.

Then, with a working majority, BJ will be much better placed to push the Bill through. The opposition had better hope that he doesn't go for a no-deal Brexit when he has the votes to do so. Serve 'em right if he does.
no chance OB another hung parliament in the making Brexit party gonna split tory votes as we still be in EU in Novemeber as I said we would when liar Johnson promised that
Old 23-10-2019, 05:53   #1585
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Good thing about an election is that the parties have now clarified their positions.
So we have:
Brexit Party: No deal
Conservatives: Boris's withdrawal agreement
Labour: Second referendum
LibDems/Greens/Plaid Cmyru: Revoke Article 50
Old 23-10-2019, 06:58   #1586
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

SNP: Free woad and broadswords for all
Old 23-10-2019, 07:23   #1587
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
If half the labour MP's actually stayed awake they would have had time to read the documents instead of voting it down for no reason
Yes, because it’s easy to review, annotate, and put together questions on a huge complex document in less than 24 hours...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 23-10-2019, 08:00   #1588
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yes, because it’s easy to review, annotate, and put together questions on a huge complex document in less than 24 hours...
According to a ex cabinet minister it needs far more then 24 hours to go through it with a fine tooth comb.
Old 23-10-2019, 08:50   #1589
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

The real fun in all this is the blame game which of course means accusing everyone else of being perfidious traitors to the voters/country whilst punching themselves in the eye..
Old 23-10-2019, 08:57   #1590
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

It really really has become something of a borefest now

We all know that the EU, understandably, won't budge very far from the two deals already tabled. We also know they will not willingly let a 'no deal' happen, and obviously do not want us to leave.

We should all also be aware that, given the fragmentation of brexit desires (as shown in Andrews post), parties are going to fight tooth and nail (and Scottish courts) to block what they don't want.

52% of the electorate that voted in the 2016 referendum, voted to leave, around 85% of the politicians want to remain . . . make of that what you will . . .

Another extension looks set to happen, which IMO will solve nothing. Eventually someone in the EU will be frustrated enough to say NO . . and that's how we've wasted 4 years.
Closed Thread