Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 13-09-2015, 16:26   #1366
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I cannot get Windows 10 to activate on a new install.

Anyone have any ideas?
looky here they may have the answer

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forum.php
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2015, 22:26   #1367
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Anyone have a direct link to a windows 10 Pro iso?

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 22:59   #1368
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Anyone have a direct link to a windows 10 Pro iso?
Does this help? Not sure which version but hopefully you get to tell it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10
Old 13-09-2015, 23:46   #1369
aohna
Inactive

Services: VIP Package
aohna is an unknown quantity at this point
new user to windows 10

Like millions of other I took the bait for Windows 10. All was well at first, sorted one or two problems myself (just interested/not a techie)

Just this week I noticed on powering up, entering my Microsoft 4 digit pin I arrive at my desktop with a : Critical Error Message stating / Start Menu and Cortana not working, We will try to fix this the next time you log in.
So shut down and restart absolutely fine. Yet having to log in twice is becoming a pain. Would anyone have any ideas? they would be appreciated:
aohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 23:52   #1370
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post

Thanks SnoopZ, it's downloading the iso to my hd now.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 23:53   #1371
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:

yes that's got home and pro on there same as the 8.1 one had both versions
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 23:58   #1372
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: new user to windows 10

Not heard of this error before, it maybe better to ask in the Windows 10 thread, 2 thoughts come to mind try the system file repair command here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833

Also try turning off Fast Boot in the power settings.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/19...n-page-92.html
Old 15-09-2015, 00:05   #1373
aohna
Inactive

Services: VIP Package
aohna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Snoopz for your pointers, must admit it, to me its always a bit daunting to meddle with the settings. Yet its thanks to you guys it encourages me to overcome those reservations.
This afternoon as I booted up to look into this issue, greeted with the usual message. So shut down again. Booted again and as expected no message. Notifications in the task bar flashed updates waiting to be installed. Chose to clear them first, this required restart which I did logged in MS account and through to desktop to find nothing. Booted up several times and all the way to my desktop and the gremlin of a Critical Error Message has gone. amazing???
aohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:40   #1374
Carlos Carboni

Anyone has any idea, where I can ask questions about networking problems with windows 10?

-WOL does not work. (I have tried the workarounds:disable fast startup, use old nic drivers, this worked for 3 out of 8 pcs)

-non-passworded local networking (I disabled it in network sharing but it still wants a password! 4 out of 8 pcs have this problem)

-what are those mystery phones that appear in the network? bluetooth? wifi? passers by with a phone? See

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sha...g-network.html
Old 15-09-2015, 09:48   #1375
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Carboni View Post
Anyone has any idea, where I can ask questions about networking problems with windows 10?

-WOL does not work. (I have tried the workarounds:disable fast startup, use old nic drivers, this worked for 3 out of 8 pcs)

-non-passworded local networking (I disabled it in network sharing but it still wants a password! 4 out of 8 pcs have this problem)

-what are those mystery phones that appear in the network? bluetooth? wifi? passers by with a phone? See

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sha...g-network.html
Not sure but you may find some help in the MS community, although never used it before, you certainly do seem to have alot of problems with Windows 10 than the average user, have you tried a clean install and unplugging all your external crap and possibly some internal drives?

https://partner.support.services.mic...windows/setup/
Old 15-09-2015, 11:44   #1376
Carlos Carboni

Quote:
Not sure but you may find some help in the MS community, although never used it before, you certainly do seem to have alot of problems with Windows 10 than the average user, have you tried a clean install and unplugging all your external crap and possibly some internal drives?

https://partner.support.services.mic...windows/setup/
Thanks. I will try the link.

All are clean installs with different NICs.

My problems are technical and they do no usually apply to the average home user. With Linux one controls things, with Windows, it's voodoo stuff. But the people at my home are Windows users....

There are 20 pages in the MS community forum with WoL problems, passworded networking and I gave a link about the mystery phones. No real solution anywhere...

I worry, when a PC with no bluetooth/wifi, has an unknown phone in the network with no ip but with a MAC address that is not the MAC of anyone's phone in the family....
Old 15-09-2015, 20:59   #1377
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I have now upgraded all four of our laptops and PCs
Generally, I am very pleased with the speed and function of W10. Even our old dual core PC runs better than it did on Windows 7. There are a few niggles. The email app isn't a patch on Outlook or Outlook Express. The calendar has imported our family calendar from Gmail on some machines, but not others. Irritating! I have also noticed, when using AVG tune Up, that W10 generates a lot of apparent errors and junk to clean up; this more so where I kept Windows 7 apps etc. Running Tune Up for the first time transformed the speed of apps, start up and shutdown.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 19:16   #1378
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Build 10547 now rolling out onto the Fast Ring.

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

http://www.neowin.net/news/what039s-...ew-build-10547
Old 19-09-2015, 06:32   #1379
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Two days running I've had a blue error message saying the start menu and Cortana are not working, sign out and we will try and fix it when you sign in again. I sign in again and everything is working, anyone have this and can it be fixed?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 07:54   #1380
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Two days running I've had a blue error message saying the start menu and Cortana are not working, sign out and we will try and fix it when you sign in again. I sign in again and everything is working, anyone have this and can it be fixed?
I saw this error on another forum, the only suggestion that was given there was doing a system restore to a point prior to when it started. Don't know if it worked tho.

Just found this
http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...hopefully.html
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote