Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 27-03-2016, 16:09   #1576
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

I don't know if anyone else here is having problems with their start button. I used to left click and a menu would appear, and I could search by alphabet also a menu with photos news etc. But today I can't start it unless I right click and I don't have so much choice and only some pictures I would say about half a page, also I can't find where to look for windows updates. I have done a virus scan and a sfc /scannow but nothing is showing up, incidentally it takes a lot longer to boot and everything is so much slower is there a way to repair Windows 10 pleeeease?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2016, 09:31   #1577
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Timmy, do you get a message saying Critical Error, your start menu is no longer working?

If you do, then the only real answer I'd to reload W10, this has happened twice to me now.

If you google "Windows 10 start menu not working" there are a few suggestions you might try, none worked for me so I reloaded.

Best of luck!
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:44   #1578
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

A long thread on this problem HERE

I have had this problem on and off for some weeks now, thankfully mine clears every time with a simple right click on the start button then select RESTART, not shut down.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:08   #1579
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Can't install Comodo firewall on Windows 10 anymore, not happy!
Old 29-03-2016, 14:32   #1580
MetaWraith
Inactive

MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via ICQ to MetaWraith Send a message via AIM to MetaWraith Send a message via MSN to MetaWraith Send a message via Yahoo to MetaWraith

Comodo's website shows a Win10 compatible logo over the free firewall
MetaWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 15:08   #1581
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaWraith View Post
Comodo's website shows a Win10 compatible logo over the free firewall
I know but according to their forums the standalone firewall doesn't work anymore.
Old 29-03-2016, 15:28   #1582
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Timmy, do you get a message saying Critical Error, your start menu is no longer working?

If you do, then the only real answer I'd to reload W10, this has happened twice to me now.

If you google "Windows 10 start menu not working" there are a few suggestions you might try, none worked for me so I reloaded.

Best of luck!
Thank you progers how do I reload W10 please?
Old 29-03-2016, 19:19   #1583
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

That's odd, my wife keeps telling me she can't find my 'start' button.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 20:54   #1584
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
That's odd, my wife keeps telling me she can't find my 'start' button.

Don't tempt me Osem lol! Sorry

BTW I have been trying to solve this problem for the last 3 days
Old 29-03-2016, 22:25   #1585
progers
Pete

progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Thank you progers how do I reload W10 please?
Tinky, I suggest you read this
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

You need to follow the instructions to refresh your PC, you will need your original media that you installed it from, if you haven't got it you'll have to make another set by downloading from MS

Peter
Old 29-03-2016, 23:46   #1586
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Tinky, I suggest you read this
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

You need to follow the instructions to refresh your PC, you will need your original media that you installed it from, if you haven't got it you'll have to make another set by downloading from MS

Peter
I reinstalled windows 10 a few days ago and I didn't need the original media.

I went from the recovery options in settings and it gave me a choice of keeping my files or wiping everything and it installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 for me and activated it.
Old 30-03-2016, 06:24   #1587
Tinky
To err is human

Settings no longer work I can't access them, the start button, Edge, Store, Menu and Cortana and sound don't work it's a nightmare. I still haven't given up on finding a solution. All this happened when IE crashed and left me with a blank screen, I waited some time before I was obliged to turn off the lappy manually. I appreciate any help, anyone got anything else I can try please?
Old 30-03-2016, 08:24   #1588
progers
Pete

Have you got media on a DVD or USB stick? If not you need to download it again first.

Then start your laptop, do a Ctrl alt delete then select task manager, from the menu, select run a task and select explorer.exe, this should work, navigate to the media and reinstall Windows making sure you use the keep my files option
Old 30-03-2016, 17:01   #1589
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Settings no longer work I can't access them, the start button, Edge, Store, Menu and Cortana and sound don't work it's a nightmare. I still haven't given up on finding a solution. All this happened when IE crashed and left me with a blank screen, I waited some time before I was obliged to turn off the lappy manually. I appreciate any help, anyone got anything else I can try please?
Take a holiday from Microsoft issues, as I've done. So happy I did that.

Install Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon in a few minutes and use it straight out of the box, for whatever you want and become productive again. Then reinstall Windows 10 at your leisure.

Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Edition- See What's New:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ByJN1iOAs

How to Dualboot Windows 10 with Linux Mint 17.3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTy4op6G60

You can access the Windows volume from Linux Mint easily to make a copy or backup any of your files you want before you re-install Windows.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 17:38   #1590
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Take a holiday from Microsoft issues, as I've done. So happy I did that.

Install Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon in a few minutes and use it straight out of the box, for whatever you want and become productive again. Then reinstall Windows 10 at your leisure.

Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Edition- See What's New:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ByJN1iOAs

How to Dualboot Windows 10 with Linux Mint 17.3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTy4op6G60

You can access the Windows volume from Linux Mint easily to make a copy or backup any of your files you want before you re-install Windows.
No offence to Tinky, but your idea is way out of their league, she will want to keep things simple by using Windows 10, ie no installing stuff just switch on and go, nothing else.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

This may help Tinky, sorry i can't really hang around to help you out as i know how stressing something like this will be for you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...covery-options