Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart meters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Smart meters

Old 01-07-2019, 11:51   #46
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Smart meters

We've had a smart meter fitted and our electricity usage has increased by 50%. My wife has daily figures back over many years, gas, electricity and solar generation.

On the day of installation we had a huge peak (15kWh). Our normal usage over the weeks before and after the installation date was around 6kWh rising to 9kWh since installation.

We've had a electrician check the wiring but British Gas don't seem to interested. Pass me from smart meter tech support to billing to solar FIT (not their problem) and so on. They will check meter but will charge me if it's OK.

Apparently the installer told my wife the meter now monitors all usage. If it measures power we use from the solar panels it 1)shouldn't or 2)should have mechanism to subtract export from generated and take that off our bills. This latter would need to be done when we send in the FIT reading but from last payment they are still estimating the export.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:52   #47
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

You should try Bulb, put in your usage and see what it comes back with for a simple quote, they give you £50 if you signup, they may even pay leaving fees if you have any, it is saves you money then it is worth it in my opinion, no hassle switching you don't even have to contact your old supplier.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:00   #48
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from tweetiepooh:

We've had a smart meter fitted and our electricity usage has increased by 50%. My wife has daily figures back over many years, gas, electricity and solar generation.

On the day of installation we had a huge peak (15kWh). Our normal usage over the weeks before and after the installation date was around 6kWh rising to 9kWh since installation.

We've had a electrician check the wiring but British Gas don't seem to interested. Pass me from smart meter tech support to billing to solar FIT (not their problem) and so on. They will check meter but will charge me if it's OK.

Apparently the installer told my wife the meter now monitors all usage. If it measures power we use from the solar panels it 1)shouldn't or 2)should have mechanism to subtract export from generated and take that off our bills. This latter would need to be done when we send in the FIT reading but from last payment they are still estimating the export.
There was a feature last week on R4 "You and Yours" consumer programme and several people with solar panels were being charged for their own generation as if it were being supplied from the grid.

This was down to the configuration of the smart meter being incorrect.

You want to get/loan an energy monitor. My one just plugs into a socket and there's a clip on current transformer that you just pop on one of the meter tails. Then you can compare the readings with the smart meter to see if it's working correctly.

The meter menus have an "import" KWHr (from the grid) and an "export" KWHr (Your generation being supplied to the grid) This is accessed on the front of the actual meter itself using the A and B buttons
Old 01-07-2019, 12:15   #49
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

But if we are using from solar panels won't that still show? The meter could be right, we are using 9kWh but 3 of those are from the panels so shouldn't be charged.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:30   #50
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from tweetiepooh:

But if we are using from solar panels won't that still show? The meter could be right, we are using 9kWh but 3 of those are from the panels so shouldn't be charged.
The power that you use from your panels doesn't pass through the meter. Only the surplus power that is returned to the grid passes through the meter (backwards) as you are paid a different rate to that which you consume. Hence there being separate import and export totalisers

Before smart meters the old analog rotating disc meters would actually run backwards when you were generating more than you consumed. Your bill/credit would reflect your overall balance whereas with the smart meter the two values are separate allowing more complex billing/credits
Old 01-07-2019, 16:45   #51
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I was asked to arrange installation a few years ago, and I just binned the letter - never been contacted again since. I have no intention of getting one.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 14:28   #52
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

There was another piece on You and Yours about older smart meters. Specifically Siemens that had been configured to sum import and export and bill the user for the combined total. This (apparently) was to fox people who try to fiddle with their meter to get free electricity.

It's fine until solar panels are fitted then you get billed for exported electricity instead of paid for.

@tweetiepoo Have a look at the brand of smart meter, you may be in the same situation.

The programme was on from 12:20 today and the piece was in the last 10 minutes or so.
Old 14-11-2019, 10:28   #53
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I've found that a lot of the energy companies will only offer the best tariffs if you agree to have a smart meter fitted.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 13:36   #54
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I've found that a lot of the energy companies will only offer the best tariffs if you agree to have a smart meter fitted.
Stick to the smaller companies, they are under less of an obligation to fit them, and also offer the cheapest tariffs.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 16:31   #55
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Stick to the smaller companies, they are under less of an obligation to fit them, and also offer the cheapest tariffs.
And go bust...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...bust-year.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/...-a9103346.html
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 17:32   #56
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

So what? Your supply isn't interrupted and you just move onto the next cheapest supplier. Happened to me twice and it was no hassle, you've still being paid less than you would of which is all important. Isn't privatisation wonderful ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 16:32   #57
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Having been getting estimated bills I've checked with EDF and apparently the signal strength is too low to allow the meter to send up to date billing info.

Don't believe that for an instant as we're in town and the mobile shows a full 5 segments.

So as well as the remote display unit being a total POS the meter is useless as well.

I asked about the total absence of information anywhere about how to drive the menus on the meter and they're feeding that back to the smart meter team.

Honestly I can find the OEM's meter outline data sheet (GE 1310 but made under licence in China), the CE certification, FCC compliance but how to drive the POS: Nothing.
Old 08-03-2020, 16:40   #58
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I can't see the point of smart meters, it isn't going to save me money i just provide a meter reading to Bulb when i feel like it, Bulb even emailed me saying the price of their Gas has gone down and i will save £50 a year and suggested i reduced my payments to £.... but they won't do it for me, the point being i prefer to be in control.
Old 08-03-2020, 16:42   #59
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

We just try to minimise energy use, be it lecky or gas. The smart meter does nothing useful that turning off a switch doesn't.
Old 08-03-2020, 18:40   #60
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
We just try to minimise energy use, be it lecky or gas. The smart meter does nothing useful that turning off a switch doesn't.
So true did you have to have it or did you ask for one, surely it costs to run the meter even if its batteries you have to buy?

I bet the meter doesn't make you use less electricity or gas?