Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Deals for exisiting customers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming the future - don't make me laugh

Old 14-11-2020, 20:42   #1
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Streaming the future - don't make me laugh

I have subscribed to Amazon Prime - purely to watch the Autumn Cup Rugby.

I was under the impression that one of the main benefits to streaming was that I could watch an event any time I wanted (obviously after the original kick-off time)

Perhaps somebody could tell me how - neither of the rugby matches appear to be available to watch this evening.

So not only is the PQ not up to standard, there is no ability to record anything and I cannot stream it to my to when it is convenient for me to watch.

Call that progress - I certainly don't.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

I have just found part of the answer I require in a different thread, so not quite as bad as I originally thought.

However, does anyone know how long these full match replays remain available on Amazon Prime.

I presume somebody might have an idea from last year's EPL football?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-11-2020, 20:47   #2
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming the future - don't make me laugh

I saw the first 3 words and thought Old Boy had retreated to another thread having been cornered in all of the existing ones.

But yes, a situation where you can't record and time shift "live" events is sub-optimal. I've on more than a few occasions started to record a Grand Prix with the intention of catching up during safety car incidents or lulls to then watch the end of the race 'live'.

I think the PQ issue is a good one. Those currently paying Sky and BT top dollar for high bandwidth 4K content aren’t going to settle for lower bandwidth, more compression etc as a streamer tries to squeeze as much as they can into 10 meg for example.

Last edited by jfman; 14-11-2020 at 20:50.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 21:08   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I saw the first 3 words and thought Old Boy had retreated to another thread having been cornered in all of the existing ones.

But yes, a situation where you can't record and time shift "live" events is sub-optimal. I've on more than a few occasions started to record a Grand Prix with the intention of catching up during safety car incidents or lulls to then watch the end of the race 'live'.

I think the PQ issue is a good one. Those currently paying Sky and BT top dollar for high bandwidth 4K content aren’t going to settle for lower bandwidth, more compression etc as a streamer tries to squeeze as much as they can into 10 meg for example.
Old 14-11-2020, 21:29   #4
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

I don't have a 4K television, but always watch in HD - this was nowhere near HD quality.
Old 14-11-2020, 22:07   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I have a 4K Smart TV, and 350Mb BB, and it wasn’t terrible quality, but it seemed less than HD, and there were some noticeable stutters - nowhere near the same quality as watching it on BBC or ITV HD channels.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 22:33   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The problem with streaming live sports is that you want it to be as near real time as possible, which seriously limits the opportunities for buffering the stream. For it to work well you need a ton of bandwidth and it needs to be absolutely rock-stable. Because this is rarely guaranteed at the end user’s set up the broadcasters end up reducing the quality, compressing it to death and just hoping that the equipment being used to view it is up to the task of repairing the damage they’ve done. Often, it isn’t.

Bluntly, the best way of getting these sorts of things from the venue to the viewer is via a high bandwidth broadcast stream that doesn’t have to hop all over the internet and isn’t contending for bandwidth with everything else in the world. So, oh I don’t know, maybe a freaking great big transmitter mast. Or even an orbiting satellite.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 22:37   #7
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The problem with streaming live sports is that you want it to be as near real time as possible, which seriously limits the opportunities for buffering the stream. For it to work well you need a ton of bandwidth and it needs to be absolutely rock-stable. Because this is rarely guaranteed at the end user’s set up the broadcasters end up reducing the quality, compressing it to death and just hoping that the equipment being used to view it is up to the task of repairing the damage they’ve done. Often, it isn’t.

Bluntly, the best way of getting these sorts of things from the venue to the viewer is via a high bandwidth broadcast stream that doesn’t have to hop all over the internet and isn’t contending for bandwidth with everything else in the world. So, oh I don’t know, maybe a freaking great big transmitter mast. Or even an orbiting satellite.
You could even deliver TV over cable. They might even call it Cable TV. It won't get sparkles in the snow, or weather interference.
Old 14-11-2020, 23:21   #8
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Regarding real time spot on i use Peacock a USA service and the delay is around 30 seconds on average but can be upto 3 minutes at time.
Still a long way to go streaming wise but it will get there in time, it wll never replace sattelite, cable, terrestial tv etc.
Old 14-11-2020, 23:35   #9
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Regarding real time spot on i use Peacock a USA service and the delay is around 30 seconds on average but can be upto 3 minutes at time.
Still a long way to go streaming wise but it will get there in time, it wll never replace sattelite, cable, terrestial tv etc.
Bookmakers, who it appears can control Government Coronavirus restrictions, aren't likely to tolerate this. In play betting is virtually pointless if someone at the event 30 seconds to 3 minutes ahead suspends in play betting for the live viewer.
Old 14-11-2020, 23:59   #10
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Bookmakers, who it appears can control Government Coronavirus restrictions, aren't likely to tolerate this. In play betting is virtually pointless if someone at the event 30 seconds to 3 minutes ahead suspends in play betting for the live viewer.
Exactly but i think in my case it's fair to take into consideration of me using a vpn, i do use sky bet and i do noticed the gret "suspended" often appears before i see the goal or incident.
Still a lot of work to go regarding streaming imo for live sports.
Old 15-11-2020, 00:06   #11
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Exactly but i think in my case it's fair to take into consideration of me using a vpn, i do use sky bet and i do noticed the gret "suspended" often appears before i see the goal or incident.
Still a lot of work to go regarding streaming imo for live sports.
Yes, certainly that's correct I've been watching a fair bit of American news over the last few weeks and there would be longer delays. That said I do utilise Virgin TV Go and the Sky Sports app and those also have significant enough delays I put in group Whatsapps when I'm streaming and not watching 'live'.

Google alerts can come through for a goal in a game that it hasn't happened on screen yet.
Old 15-11-2020, 00:24   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Ive been using iFollow since we cant get to watch matches atm.

Never had any buffering issues with it, but it is about 45 seconds behind real time.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 00:39   #13
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Never had any buffering issues with it, but it is about 45 seconds behind real time.
Yeah never had any buffering issues i think upto 3 minutes is taking into account my vpn as the stream would be getting routed through my vpn providers servers too,
when i watched the football on Amazon the delay was around 32seconds

---------- Post added at 00:39 ---------- Previous post was at 00:36 ----------

Quote:
Yes, certainly that's correct I've been watching a fair bit of American news over the last few weeks and there would be longer delays. That said I do utilise Virgin TV Go and the Sky Sports app and those also have significant enough delays I put in group Whatsapps when I'm streaming and not watching 'live'.

Google alerts can come through for a goal in a game that it hasn't happened on screen yet.
I've had that too with bbc sports alerts the goal comes through before i've seen it on SKYGO.

Hopefully for me my sports experience will improve as yesterday i took SKYS offer of SKYSports complete collection for £15p/m which i thought was incredible value, especially now ppv football has been scrapped.
Old 15-11-2020, 05:23   #14
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

My brothers have been using iFollow and they have had several problems with it so much so they were given refunds.
Old 15-11-2020, 11:50   #15
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I have a 4K Smart TV, and 350Mb BB, and it wasn’t terrible quality, but it seemed less than HD, and there were some noticeable stutters - nowhere near the same quality as watching it on BBC or ITV HD channels.
HD quality should be the minimum standard - if this is really the future (OB) then I for one consider it a backward step or 3

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Quote:

It seems you may be suggesting a linear channel approach - at least until the infrastructure is up to it?

Amazon Prime please take note!