Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2020, 12:25   #121
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Problem is that there is often a 2 to 3 week lag between initial infection and admittance to hospital - waiting until the NHS is in danger of being overwhelmed is like only applying your car brakes when you are 5 feet from the car in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Yes but you can wait until the NHS is projected to be under load. There is now masses of data so this should be possible.
I think you are both saying the same thing and that preparing the Nightingale sites in areas currently experiencing rising hospital/ICU intakes due high Covis-19 shows that the government /NHS are trying to react to the projected figures.

I just hope that those who can't see what could happen have had their brakes serviced.
Old 13-10-2020, 13:09   #122
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I think you are both saying the same thing and that preparing the Nightingale sites in areas currently experiencing rising hospital/ICU intakes due high Covis-19 shows that the government /NHS are trying to react to the projected figures.

I just hope that those who can't see what could happen have had their brakes serviced.
This is fair but I'm not sure we are even reaching saturation. Last time a thousand people were dying a day and I was told that most of the nightingale hospitals were completely empty. think yesterday it was 50.

I feel I have no clue what is going on any more.
Old 13-10-2020, 13:15   #123
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
This is fair but I'm not sure we are even reaching saturation. Last time a thousand people were dying a day and I was told that most of the nightingale hospitals were completely empty. think yesterday it was 50.

I wonder how many of those deaths were assisted by lack of health care since the nhs closed it's doors in march.
Old 13-10-2020, 13:44   #124
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I wonder how many of those deaths were assisted by lack of health care since the nhs closed it's doors in march.
Easy enough to check, the ONS publishes figures for deaths in England and Wales and separates out COVID in respiratory causes of death. If you subtract COVID registrations, we are around the 5 year average week by week this year. Some weeks up, some weeks down.

Fill your boots here - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...5september2020

Excel download at the bottom...
Old 13-10-2020, 14:16   #125
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

For what it’s worth, and in fairness, I do think Pierre is making a very good point. However we don’t have the confidence a) that we are quickly finding cases or b) that test, trace, isolate is finding contacts.

Without this you end up stuck modelling growth - which is unfortunately inevitable without the above. We can introduce these measures now, or in two weeks, or in four. All we will have to show for it is more ill people and more deaths. It won’t save the economy, it’s only likely that the restriction phase will run for a longer period of time before we enter a phase of reduced restrictions.

Whitty and Vallance are already on record saying we are likely to cycle in and out for months to come. The question isn’t the merits of the restrictions, it’s the merits of delay. If we are going to keep restrictions until test, trace, isolate gets under control and figures drop to 5,000 a day or so it’s better to start now.
Old 13-10-2020, 14:18   #126
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

So they haven't been following the science over the last few weeks and cases have spiralled. From here on in the Govt is solely responsible.
Old 13-10-2020, 14:28   #127
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
So they haven't been following the science over the last few weeks and cases have spiralled. From here on in the Govt is solely responsible.
I don't know what the rules are any more and quite honestly i no longer care,bugger all is working and the forecast is doom death and disaster,i'm going to put some beer in the fridge and put my tin foil hat on.
Old 13-10-2020, 14:39   #128
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:

I belong to a several forums where people are waiting for major surgery, life changing surgery which is unfortunately designated as Elective. Along with many other people waiting for many other forms of elective surgery my friend's surgeries where put on hold because of lack of beds, resourses and staff due to the concentrated efforts needed to cope with hospitalisation of Covid-19 patients. These people in my area have been waiting for their operations since March and have been informed that it will be at least next Spring before their surgeons lists will be re-opened as beds have to be kept free for emergency cases.

Our Nightingale in Manchester is now being prepared and hopefully if this is used as more than just an overflow area it may allow some of the routine operations to go ahead.
Old 13-10-2020, 14:43   #129
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Today, the local press are stating that our area has:

1) A large drop in the number of positive cases reported.
2) An increase in those hospitalised with (not due to) the virus.
3) Getting nearer to the level 2 of lockdown due to a rise in cases (see 1 )

I've now traded in the tin foil hat for a shotgun, and will be going press reporter hunting . . when I find which school they attend
Old 13-10-2020, 14:53   #130
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Today, the local press are stating that our area has:

1) A large drop in the number of positive cases reported.
2) An increase in those hospitalised with (not due to) the virus.
3) Getting nearer to the level 2 of lockdown due to a rise in cases (see 1 )

I've now traded in the tin foil hat for a shotgun, and will be going press reporter hunting . . when I find which school they attend
Hospitals in Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Goole are currently treating 27 people for covid across all three sites - a rise of six inpatients in four days.
Two of the people currently being treated are in intensive care units, although it has not been confirmed whether they are using ventilators.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/n...spital-4601474

The next thing to happen will be a fake food shortage just to ramp up the panic, followed by full lockdown then the vague promise of being allowed some kind of reduced xmas celebration.

Last edited by papa smurf; 13-10-2020 at 15:04.
Old 13-10-2020, 15:47   #131
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
641 - 8th October

462 - 30th September

So an increase of 28%, but an increase all the same, but compared to the peak figure

3,564 - 1st April, only 18% of peak.

Nightingale hospitals on standby?

8th October - 436 on ventilators.

10th April - 3,301 on ventilators. Bearing in mind that during the peak we didn’t out weigh ventilator capacity, so we still have at the very least 7.5 x capacity we are currently using.

Covid patients in hospital 9th October- 3,788

Covid patients in hospital at peak - 21,209 = 5.5 x capacity being used, considering we didn’t use the nightingales, putting them on “standby“ helps fuel a narrative.

Oh and the last one deaths.

Still well below 100, not been above 100 Since July.

The data is there for all.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/healthcare

I’ll wait another week. See what happens.
There is a geographical element to all of this too though - the FT is reporting that Liverpool's intensive care hospitals there are 95% full. Looks like the nearest Nightingale (Manchester) can't open soon enough.
Quote:
The three hospitals that make up the trust have been divided into coronavirus and non-coronavirus wards. There are currently only two beds available out of 60 across the sites for patients not suffering from Covid-19 but in need of ventilation, according to one senior doctor. “We’ve got plenty of ventilators but we don’t have the beds,” the doctor added. “There’s a feeling of dread at the moment.”

In a letter seen by the Financial Times, GPs in Liverpool have been warned that the city’s two biggest hospitals are “full” and encouraged to consider “stepped up care at home” for some patients, to avoid hospital admissions.
https://www.ft.com/content/53272e22-...4-004d0328fdfa
Old 13-10-2020, 16:02   #132
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

We need to take the Swedish approach. Raise public expenditure to nearly 50% of GDP and invest in infrastructure. Raise effective tax rates for the most well off. Raise capital gains tax. 14 days sick pay for all.
Old 13-10-2020, 16:03   #133
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
They cannot be blamed for the nut jobs just ignoring the advice, and all those hugging etc etc when leaving the pubs and heading to house parties.
Old 13-10-2020, 16:12   #134
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
We need to take the Swedish approach. Raise public expenditure to nearly 50% of GDP and invest in infrastructure. Raise effective tax rates for the most well off. Raise capital gains tax. 14 days sick pay for all.
Do any of these tax rises affect you?
Old 13-10-2020, 16:23   #135
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Here we go, lets tax the rich & spend, spend, spend ..... the 1970's are calling you.

Baby, I was born this way.
Closed Thread