Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | o2 and Virgin Media merger.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

o2 and Virgin Media merger.

Old 21-09-2020, 01:19   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
o2 and Virgin Media merger.

Hi Mods- i haven't seen anything about this except in the coming soon thread in the tv section? Apologies if i've missed it

https://www.ft.com/content/8b508703-...2-5b0a96fdf5f8

This is the latest as virgin/o2 await to see who will approve the merger.

As someone on o2 for my mobile and with virgin media tv/landline and broadband i'm intrigued what this will mean for me to be honest! Will i be able to merge my two accounts and save money etc? I've been with o2 for about 18 years now.

For me it seems like a win win for all but i'd be intrigued what others think of it etc
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2020, 13:48   #2
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: o2 and Virgin Media merger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Hi Mods- i haven't seen anything about this except in the coming soon thread in the tv section? Apologies if i've missed it

https://www.ft.com/content/8b508703-...2-5b0a96fdf5f8

This is the latest as virgin/o2 await to see who will approve the merger.

As someone on o2 for my mobile and with virgin media tv/landline and broadband i'm intrigued what this will mean for me to be honest! Will i be able to merge my two accounts and save money etc? I've been with o2 for about 18 years now.

For me it seems like a win win for all but i'd be intrigued what others think of it etc
NewCo's aim will not be to reduce its income but to expand it. In the medium term, I would expect the two brands to run in parallel with O2 being the pricier option for mobile phones and VM the cheaper. Nothing to stop you switching to VM Mobile once you're out of contract and worth speaking to Virgin about what they can offer you.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 13:51   #3
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Will this have any effect on Tesco mobile or others that use the O2 infrastructure?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:22   #4
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Will this have any effect on Tesco mobile or others that use the O2 infrastructure?
Unless the Competition & Markets Authority or Ofcom intervene then I don't think it will. I assume a combined VM-O2 will ensure sufficient capacity for all virtual mobile operators on its network, especially as it will own 100% of GiffGaff and 50% of Tesco Mobile.
Old 27-09-2020, 03:47   #5
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
NewCo's aim will not be to reduce its income but to expand it. In the medium term, I would expect the two brands to run in parallel with O2 being the pricier option for mobile phones and VM the cheaper. Nothing to stop you switching to VM Mobile once you're out of contract and worth speaking to Virgin about what they can offer you.
damn though this makes sense. i was hoping for an email saying "o2 and virgin media are combining.....want to combine your o2 and virgin media contract together and save £20 a month....click here!"

i am admittedly daft
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 15:46   #6
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
damn though this makes sense. i was hoping for an email saying "o2 and virgin media are combining.....want to combine your o2 and virgin media contract together and save £20 a month....click here!"

i am admittedly daft
If they can combine the O2 and VM customer databases then they could promote a similar deal to cable customers who don't have a VM/O2/GiffGaff/Tesco mobile contract.

Nothing to stop you switching to VM mobile when you're able to. It will be on the O2 network soon.
Old 28-09-2020, 22:59   #7
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
This is a JV, not a merger. The two brands will exist together.

The rationale is the number of VM customers (TV & BB, not mobile) that are not O2 customers and vice versa.

Also savings to be made by sharing infrastructure.

The Virgin Mobile MVNO is due to switch from the EE RAN to Vodafone RAN and those plans are still in place.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Quote:
That is exactly what could happen, although they are going after those that are not currently customers of both.

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Quote:
Nothing to stop you switching to VM mobile when you're able to. It will be on the O2 network soon.
Nope, no it won’t.
Old 01-10-2020, 16:21   #8
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Nope, no it won’t.
Interesting, thank you.