Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How much is too much??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Public wi-fi network on the way from Virgin?

Old 23-11-2010, 19:48   #1
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
Public wi-fi network on the way from Virgin?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...i-network.html
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2010, 20:04   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Public wi-fi network on the way from Virgin?

Damn, they stole my idea.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 22:23   #3
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

I recently noticed that BT are already providing public wifi access to its broadband customers as part of the standard package. I haven't looked in to all the details, but it sounds tempting. One of the first bolt-on extras an ISP has provided that's actually made me take notice.

If VM are going to do this as well I shall await it keenly. Only 5meg to BT's 8 but that may change, and BT's 8meg claim may be rather over inflated as ISP's tend towards such and VM may be quoting a planned average since their policy has changed in that area.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 01:42   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You might be right on that one. BT's 8 meg claim was based on their main consumer service (over which it was provided) being an "Up to 8 meg" ADSL service at the time. VM's are going to be hooked into VM's multi-gigabit (theoretically capable of) HFC network (though that too gets slow in places) so they're looking at 5 meg per user limited by whatever they set their cable modem configs to and wireless bandwidth, rather than any number of users contending an <8mbps DSL line.
Old 24-11-2010, 10:09   #5
CJNorfolk
Inactive

CJNorfolk is an unknown quantity at this point

Its also worth thinking what this will be used for - I imagine it will in the main be personal use - so facebook, email etc via phones etc. for all of those uses 5M is plenty of bandwidth, and to protect such a network from saturation by setting limits before launch seems very sensible.

Even for business use its likely to be more than adequate when on the move as its unlikely to be the main source of broadband for an individual.

Until I moved here I had 5.5M at home and many locals had far far less, so this is a very good entry point if it all comes to fruition.
CJNorfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 10:28   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You can just by a FON router and share part of your network.. This then also gives you access to all the FON enabled routers..(which include all the BT opted in ones).. The routers start from £30

http://www.fon.com/en/

I suppose that now VM have their own HUBS they could do this.. and unlike BT's version the shared portion doesn't have to come out of the customers max speed
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 11:37   #7
jimpy0
Permanently Banned

jimpy0 is infamous around these partsjimpy0 is infamous around these parts

excuse my hignorance but if we get to the stage where we have open wi-fi for all and FON routers that "anybody" can connect to what will happen to the current purges on security, privacy and piracy ?
jimpy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 12:54   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The connection isn't available to everyone but instead via an account (those that share a FON router (either FON or BT) have afree but unique username and password that they can use on other FON routers others may pay for an account) As such all FON traffic is kept seperate to the home traffic of the router they use even to an extent that a seperate wifi channel is used..
Old 24-11-2010, 22:33   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

We have enough wireless networks all over the place. We don't need more!

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 22:54   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If the home user was to see part of their own wireless being set aside for some public use, however that was in fact to be achieved, I think there would be many concerned subscribers out there. Many turn off wireless for security or even concerns over the tin foil hat needs of wireless radiation. But even if the use was limited somehow to the ISPs subscribers it would take a lot to convince a home owner that they have to publicly pay for any unknown person to hijack their connection (that is how they would see it) when we've for so long been banging on about security of wireless. I'd like to see how the likes of all these Davenport Lyons solicitors claims would work for alleged downloading if the bandwidth was legitimatelly opened up.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 23:07   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Could this be why VM are suddenly moving toward providing only wireless hubs?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 23:34   #12
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If the home user was to see part of their own wireless being set aside for some public use, however that was in fact to be achieved, I think there would be many concerned subscribers out there.
There are many opted in subscribers on BT that do exactly that though, so whilst there may be many concerned, there's equally a great deal that are happy to do so.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 00:53   #13
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

I'm just adding a little note to remind people that VM are not talking about a FON style system but about installing separate VM routers in public places. Nothing to do with users' connections in theory, so long as they provide the extra bandwidth.

After all, I'd hate to find out that my area was oversubscribed because VM let every Tesco's customer from the 24 hour superstore nextdoor steal my street's bandwidth with their I-phones and whilst sitting in the cafe with their I-pads/netbooks silver-surfing away. This is a great idea if they install the extra capacity needed, otherwise they may as well be connecting through my router because it amounts to the same thing on a locally shared bandwidth connection like cable.

Especially as we now appear to have our traffic 'managed' as a result of users nearby abusing their connections by downloading torrents all day. It is no longer good enough to stay responsible ourselves, we now either have to police our neighbours' internet use or face a throttling ourselves as a punishment for not having good neighbours. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of traffic management, I just don't like taking the punishment for other users' indiscretions. Especially as the wifi wanders won't care about throttling as they'll be going home later and so dodge the punishment themselves.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 09:12   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If the home user was to see part of their own wireless being set aside for some public use, however that was in fact to be achieved,
I think it would work better on VM than on BT..

All the BT openzones use ch11, no idea what they use for private usage, so in effect it's two wifi channels so the only bandwidth the user misses is the bit that FON takes through the modem.. With VM (unless in a highly oversubbed area) there would be no bandwidth missing as the modem could in theory just create a new IP with it's own bandwidth as even on the highest bandwidths there's always some to spare..

I'd go for it especially as it means getting easily accessable wifi up and down the country
Old 27-11-2010, 21:47   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I'm still waiting for 5G technology in the ~2020-2030 to be the ultimate convergence of 3G/4G WANs and 802.11 LANs, where high-speed internet access is available wirelessly wherever you are and you won't need to compromise between multiple different technologies.

Until then...