Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ddos issues for gamer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Ddos issues for gamer

Old 09-11-2018, 01:21   #1
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of
Ddos issues for gamer

Hi guys have a big problem. My son plays competitive gaming in Destiny and someone has identified his IP address as The Destiny servers are not dedicated. This person is now sending Ddos attacks regularly ruining his gameplay and taking the rest of the family's internet out as well. It is dos attacks as he posts he's going to do it sometimes. I've called VM to see what they can do and you can guess the rest. What my son needs is a new external IP and a VPN. How can I change the IP. If I put my Superhub 2 into modern mode and buy another router will my IP change. I'm amazed someone can just use our IP to disrupt our household to this level.
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2018, 05:46   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Ddos issues for gamer

Quote:
If I put my Superhub 2 into modern mode and buy another router will my IP change.
Switching to modem mode and using an external router should get you a new IP.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:47   #3
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Switching to modem mode, connecting, then switching back again should get you a new IP without buying a new router.

If you're on a shub 2 you could also ask for a shub 3 which would also solve it.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:06   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Hi guys have a big problem. My son plays competitive gaming in Destiny and someone has identified his IP address as The Destiny servers are not dedicated. This person is now sending Ddos attacks regularly ruining his gameplay and taking the rest of the family's internet out as well. It is dos attacks as he posts he's going to do it sometimes. I've called VM to see what they can do and you can guess the rest. What my son needs is a new external IP and a VPN. How can I change the IP. If I put my Superhub 2 into modern mode and buy another router will my IP change. I'm amazed someone can just use our IP to disrupt our household to this level.
A VPN would give a new IP address anyway so no need to mess about changing routers or switching to modem mode.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:33   #5
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

...but this is NOT Virgin Media’s fault.
...and resolving it for you will likely cause a problem for the Virgin Media customer who inherits the IP address and DDOS attack.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:35   #6
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Switching to modem mode, connecting, then switching back again should get you a new IP without buying a new router.
Will this not just give me my original (sticky dynamic) IP back again?

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
A VPN would give a new IP address anyway so no need to mess about changing routers or switching to modem mode.
Will a VPN just not mask your original IP. As soon as the culprit sees my son online he will attack the original IP and take us down again.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:38   #7
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
...and resolving it for you will likely cause a problem for the Virgin Media customer who inherits the IP address and DDOS attack.
Lol, so it's the OP's fault? What's fault got to do with this? In fact, is it not the ISP's interest to have some sort of protection (Black holing/Scrubbing centre).

As others have said VPN will solve it anyway.
Otherwise Modem mode gets you a new IP, I don't think switching straight back will get you router mode with a new IP though as the DHCP lease will still be in play.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:59   #8
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I agree but this is an increasing problem as all my sons friends are having the same thing happen to them. When I phoned VM they put me through to another unit called the Gadget helpline who wanted to charge me a premium to fix my problem. Surely if a fix exists why wouldn't VM help me at first call.
So the scenario is if I can obtain a family's IP address I can vindictively take them down at my leisure as often and for as long as I like. This seriously needs looking at. And if all the people who are having my problem shead the original IP to prevent the attack there are going to be an awful lot of vulnerable reassigned IP addresses.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

Can anyone recommend a decent router for around £160 that works with Superhub 2 in Modem mode? I've seen some routers have built in VPN is that as good as paying monthly for one?
Old 09-11-2018, 18:32   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC6...rds=asus+ac68u

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC68U/
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 22:36   #10
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Thanks. This was on my shortlist. I've ordered one.

Internet down again tonight for 30 minutes.
Old 10-11-2018, 18:57   #11
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Found out from my son a lot of his friends have true dynamic IP's which change daily. Why can't VM do this?

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Also when I called customer services I was put through to some lady whom I could hardly hear due to her children shouting in the background. Very professional!
Old 10-11-2018, 19:10   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Found out from my son a lot of his friends have true dynamic IP's which change daily. Why can't VM do this?
Because you are the only person who wants a dynamic ip. Everyone else is the complete opposite and wants static.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:24   #13
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

What are the benefits of static?
Old 11-11-2018, 14:08   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Some devices like a static IP to work better. Like security stuff.

I am setting all my network devices where I can to Static as I can sort them out to "Peoples kit, Echos, Smart switches, etc".

I try and do this via the device, but the TiVo's are proving difficult.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:38   #15
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Guys when setting up my asus router with SH2 in modem mode do I just let it auto detect everything once they are connected. Only looking at the manual for Internet connection in the GUI for auto set up it has
Host name (optional) and MAC address (optional). Do I just skip this and press next?