Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Engineer...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable Extension

Old 13-10-2006, 22:22   #1
jinx5x5
Inactive

jinx5x5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable Extension

Hi all, I want to move my cable modem to another room. Can someone please tell me what type of ntl cable and connectors I need to look for? I usually buy my cables from Maplin. I bought some cable earlier today, but have no signal (even though the guy said it was the right one)

Thanks in advance.

J
jinx5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2006, 22:31   #2
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cable Extension

Hi to Cable Forum

You shouldn't be moving the equipment yourself, introducing your own cabling into the mix at the same time, as it could cause noise on the cable that could potentially affect other nodes on the network nearby. For £25, ntl will come out do all the work for you, supply all required cabling, splitters, etc; ensure the equipment is working and there's less hassle for yourself.
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 22:40   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

You would be best leaving the modem where it is and then running some ethernet cable from the modem to your PC.

This is a much easier option and safer option as you don't disrupt the signals and quality entering your house or cause extra noise.

You can get Straight ethernet cable from Cable Universe

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 23:25   #4
jinx5x5
Inactive

jinx5x5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise it would be such a drama to move a modem 8 metres. Out of interest, this is the cable I bought http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...S17T&DOY=13m10. Was it the wrong type? I'll be taking it back tomorrow.

Thanks again.
jinx5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 00:34   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

There can be a number of problems with DIY changes to the cable length.

Interference introduced as the added cable is inadequately shielded

Changes in the signal strength simply because the cable is slightly longer / shorter so the resistance alters - not in itself a major issue, unless your original signal is right on a limit.

Loss of signal and / or intorduction of "noise" (interference) to your own service, or even back into the network affecting others, through inadequately made connections (frequently the satelite type screw threaded connectors are insufficiently robust / poor quality / allow stray strands to create short circuits).

It's best left to the professionals if you must alter the ntl side of the modem cable.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote