Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Parliament coming to BBC2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC Parliament coming to BBC2.

Old 27-08-2016, 17:43   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
BBC Parliament coming to BBC2.

Starting 5/9/16, BBC2 will be carrying BBC Parliament programming overnight.

Not sure if this is a simulcast, a selection of their programmes or whilst the US Presidential elections are on.

This will also give them the opportunity to show material in HD.

Thoughts?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2016, 19:57   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC Parliament coming to BBC2.

I think the channel exists just to fill bandwidth. I'd rather they move all sports to that channel and stop the faffing around with schedules on BBC1 and BBC2.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 13:06   #3
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Being able to see our Governments in action is very important and a perfect example why the BBC is so important, couldn't see ITV or Sky carrying the service

Never see my MP in SD so no chance of seeing him in HD

Sport can stay on BBC1 AND BBC2
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 14:21   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Being able to see our Governments in action is very important and a perfect example why the BBC is so important, couldn't see ITV or Sky carrying the service

Never see my MP in SD so no chance of seeing him in HD

Sport can stay on BBC1 AND BBC2
Yes, but the point is that the BBC 2 programmes will be the same as the BBC Parliament channel. That's just a waste.

There will always be people who return from work into the wee small hours, just as the decent programmes are being wrapped up. Recognising this, BBC 1 and 2 should repeat their prime viewing programmes between 2 and 5am rather than duplicate content from their other channels.

As for sport, I would rather that was kept on separate sport channels. Maybe that would be a better use for BBC4.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:07   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

BBC1 already simulcasts the news channel overnight so in a way this is nothing new.

There are cost implications in showing repeats, even at 4 in the morning. It would cost them more than the viewing figures at that time of night would justify.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:15   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
BBC1 already simulcasts the news channel overnight so in a way this is nothing new.

There are cost implications in showing repeats, even at 4 in the morning. It would cost them more than the viewing figures at that time of night would justify.
I know BBC 1 also simulcasts in this way. That's why I said 'BBC1 and 2'.

I do not know the cost involved in my suggested approach, but I would be surprised if it was so significant as to make it impractical. Minor digital channels seem to manage all right, so I really would be surprised if it was a problem for the Beeb.
Old 28-08-2016, 18:34   #7
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I know BBC 1 also simulcasts in this way. That's why I said 'BBC1 and 2'.

I do not know the cost involved in my suggested approach, but I would be surprised if it was so significant as to make it impractical. Minor digital channels seem to manage all right, so I really would be surprised if it was a problem for the Beeb.
Considering the BBC owns most of the content and they are broadcasting anyway I'm with you on this one why not actually repeat prime time for night shift workers

If you really want to parliament there is already a channel and iplayer if you need to catch up

I can't see why that would cost more than parliament repeats
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:35   #8
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Y.

As for sport, I would rather that was kept on separate sport channels. Maybe that would be a better use for BBC4.
BBC4 has enough good quality content without being ruined by having to be a home for sport as well
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:50   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
Considering the BBC owns most of the content and they are broadcasting anyway I'm with you on this one why not actually repeat prime time for night shift workers

If you really want to parliament there is already a channel and iplayer if you need to catch up

I can't see why that would cost more than parliament repeats
They own the copyright in many cases but by no means all. Many productions are made by outside companies and pitched to the BBC; they fund production and get first run but they don't buy or own outright. Even in cases where they do fully own the copyright in the recording they often need permission from the performers, possibly also the scriptwriter, who are entitled to repeat fees.

You don't have to pay a newsreader extra for broadcasting them on two channels simultaneously and you don't have to pay MPs anything.
Old 28-08-2016, 19:15   #10
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
They own the copyright in many cases but by no means all. Many productions are made by outside companies and pitched to the BBC; they fund production and get first run but they don't buy or own outright. Even in cases where they do fully own the copyright in the recording they often need permission from the performers, possibly also the scriptwriter, who are entitled to repeat fees.

You don't have to pay a newsreader extra for broadcasting them on two channels simultaneously and you don't have to pay MPs anything.
Thanks for the clarity
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 00:47   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

H'mm... maybe the second showing could be covered in the contracts. I don't really think this is an insluable problem, if indeed it is a problem.
Old 29-08-2016, 09:18   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Repeat showings could indeed be contracted for, however it would increase the fee the actor was entitled to for the original performance. The BBC would be taking a gamble on the "repeatability" of the product before it was even made, as well as trying to overturn decades of practice in what is still a highly unionised environment. Equity is the nearest thing we still have to a closed shop trade union in the uk. They would do it if it was desirable and cost effective (they went through a similar process in order to allow their own content to appear on the iplayer), but are they really going to go through the effort and expense for overnight screenings?

Simulcasts of live and/or current affairs output are the easiest and cheapest way of continuing broadcasts overnight when viewing figures simply don't justify any additional expense.
Old 29-08-2016, 09:59   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Anyway with so much choice of platforms for TV viewing I suspect that shift workers can 'record' what they wish to see and view at their own leisure so overnight programmes might as well be news based or even parliamentary sessions..
Old 29-08-2016, 12:23   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

I still don't see how much smaller channels like 5 USA, Drama, W or even BT's AMC with an even smaller audience, can continue with their programming throughout the night, repeating dramas from the previous evening, and the Beeb cannot.

Although Chris raises a good point, I don't really think the barriers to doing this are actually there.
Old 29-08-2016, 12:31   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

In most cases those channels' business model is built entirely on repeating stuff, often very old stuff, and their deals for acquiring that content will reflect that. Plus, much of it being old and not especially good, it's cheap. The BBC could no doubt emulate this but would likely fall foul of its own public service test. If it's directly emulating 5USA, which is a non-public service commercial rival, it is doubtful it is acting within its terms of operation.

The BBC could only feasibly emulate the likes of 5USA (which, incidentally, actually just shows teleshopping for half the night, along with many of the other minor channels) by repeating its own content, which is when you rapidly come back to the issue of repeat fees.

This has nothing at all to do with whether it's possible, and everything to do with whether it is practical and cost effective given the BBC's unique position.