Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 26-10-2017, 19:19   #3151
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Twas Picturebox. Curzon is still available
Old 26-10-2017, 23:39   #3152
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

Liberty Global and TiVo renew agreements

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...ew-agreements/
Old 26-10-2017, 23:46   #3153
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richc1977 View Post
Liberty Global and TiVo renew agreements

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...ew-agreements/
Seems odd to do this if we are still supposed to eventually be going onto the Horizon software.
Old 26-10-2017, 23:59   #3154
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Seems odd to do this if we are still supposed to eventually be going onto the Horizon software.
The deal seems to relate to Tivo's patents, rather then software. I suspect their patented IP is used in Horizon software features.

TiVo was recently bought by Rovi who, a few years back, took Virgin to court (and lost) on several occasions for alleged patent infringement : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...-patent-battle
Old 28-10-2017, 19:47   #3155
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
You're welcome, my reply was a bit brief but I only had a few minutes to reply before going out.

Basically, the NIT analysis shows details of all networks except ex-NTL Langley regions. I was told a while ago that ex-NTL Langley details can also be made available. The NIT analysis is quite memory intensive with the number of calculations used for the 68 network data already available, so adding the extra networks would slow the whole process down at the moment.

Manchester data is already included in the analysis and, in any event, the digitalbitrate.com data for VM is for Manchester 3, even though it is listed as "Liverpool". Their scan data for TS ID 44 is available here: http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ng=en&mux=C059

I was reluctant to post any details revealed by the previous SDT analysis as it related to pack data and the details added were incomplete. A later scan shows that most of the "test" services now have pack flags for all packs except "Player". One of the tests still didn't have any pack flags added.

No further tests had been added to the NIT, so 15 of them remain SDT only. They still carried the entertainment flags and service mode 1 (which is "digital television service"). Bear in mind that VM also uses service mode 1 for EPG linked apps so that doesn't really give any clues.

So the test services remain a mystery.

In other news, an SDT linkage section has been added for SID 4406 VTV Kids. This allows the VTV Kids slot to promote individual kids channels. Currently showing "Tiny Pop". Check the EPG to see what else will be shown and when. (Mad Max probably won't bother doing this. )
Another idea as to what these services could be.

VM are to shortly give us targeted advertising from the Sky owned AdSmart. I wonder if these services are tests to check that this service is working properly??

https://www.skyadsmart.co.uk/about-skyadsmart/

My thinking is that the system might treat each advert as a (very short) pop up channel and this could be why there are no channel names associated with them.

Apparently, AdSmart could also be used as a method to insert local news etc.

Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't be available to M/Player customers though.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 28-10-2017 at 19:52. Reason: Added link.
Old 29-10-2017, 11:38   #3156
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:

VM are to shortly give us targeted advertising from the Sky owned AdSmart. I wonder if these services are tests to check that this service is working properly??

My thinking is that the system might treat each advert as a (very short) pop up channel and this could be why there are no channel names associated with them.

Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't be available to M/Player customers though.
Sky boxes have no "upstream" connection except for the internet, so this may likely be the preferred method of delivery on Sky ( I cant see them leaving the NOW TV service out of this) & maybe VM. I also have a sneaky feeling that a small disc partition may appear on the boxes to store these for playout at the relevant times.

As far as M/Player customers, these channels are FTA & hence not strictly part of the Sky platform. Sky cannot interfere with output that is not theirs.

Last edited by nodrogd; 29-10-2017 at 11:41.
Old 29-10-2017, 11:47   #3157
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Sky boxes have no "upstream" connection except for the internet, so this may likely be the preferred method of delivery on Sky ( I cant see them leaving the NOW TV service out of this) & maybe VM. I also have a sneaky feeling that a small disc partition may appear on the boxes to store these for playout at the relevant times.

As far as M/Player customers, these channels are FTA & hence not strictly part of the Sky platform. Sky cannot interfere with output that is not theirs.
Disk space is too small as it is now, certainly cannot afford to lose any for adverts which I always FFF through.
Old 29-10-2017, 12:56   #3158
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Disk space is too small as it is now, certainly cannot afford to lose any for adverts which I always FFF through.
I think we will be accessing bookmarked programmes through the cloud before much longer. This may explain why Virgin hasn't brought out any 2Mb V6 boxes.
Old 29-10-2017, 20:46   #3159
jj20x

Quote:

Adsmart is supposed to be seamless, switching between streams would have synchronisation problems and GOP problems, so hardly seamless. I don't think that advertisers would be very happy with viewers having to wait for the picture to "rebuild" every time an advert changed.

Quote:
That really depends on how Adsmart is configured. Hopefully, VM subscribers will be able to opt-out of targeted advertising.

Quote:
Or why they would be available to M Pack customers but not to Player Pack customers.

One of the guys maintaining the scanning db's raised a question. He wondered why 16 new services have been added to the SDT with only 1 of them making it to the NIT in specific regions. Maybe this is 16 different configurations of the same service, each configuration to be individually tested over time. I guess time will tell. Of course, VM could add the other 15 services to the NIT next week and blow that theory out of the water.

Last edited by jj20x; 29-10-2017 at 20:54.

Old 30-10-2017, 17:53   #3160
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Got a new V6 on thursday- what is the difference between it and the old one? Any comments warmly wanted
Old 30-10-2017, 17:57   #3161
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Main ones are:

6 tuners
4K HDR compatible
More powerful hardware = faster
RF remote
WiFi connection / Ethernet to home network
Quick View (1.2x playback)
Old 30-10-2017, 17:57   #3162
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Got a new V6 on thursday- what is the difference between it and the old one? Any comments warmly wanted
Superfast. Supercool. Superconnectivity.

You really won't regret it, Vince. You'll actually get the BBC i-Player to work without stuttering, pausing and throwing you out! Netflix loads within seconds.
Old 30-10-2017, 18:14   #3163
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
It works.
Old 30-10-2017, 18:18   #3164
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Superfast. Supercool. Superconnectivity.

You really won't regret it, Vince. You'll actually get the BBC i-Player to work without stuttering, pausing and throwing you out! Netflix loads within seconds.
Nice to see OB giving positivity a spin for once on Virgin.
Old 30-10-2017, 18:19   #3165
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
It works.
It does, but the hub 3 supplied with it has crap WiFi................
Closed Thread