Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phorm Public Meeting - Official Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Phorm Public Meeting - Official Thread

Old 13-04-2008, 14:24   #31
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Phorm Public Meeting - Official Thread

I have a question that I would like someone to ask the Phorm people at the meeting on Tuesday, as I can't attend.

I don't think that compiling our list of questions on this forum is a good idea; it gives Phorm an unfair advantage, as they can pre-prepare responses to all of our concerns , while we have no such access to their preparation process in return. (Just look at how often one of their droids is seen lurking here!)

So if I PM them, would anyone who is attending consider asking my question please?

Apologies for the cloak-and-dagger stuff, but I don't think we should give Phorm an unfair advantage...
lucevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2008, 14:27   #32
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
Maybe you should mention that to BT and Phorm as they did poll their customers who came back with a resounding, "yes please, that sounds like a wonderful idea".
Link please? I think people have been trying to extract the details of these 'polls' for some time, and I've yet to see any response from Phorm or the ISPs.
Old 13-04-2008, 14:43   #33
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

I don't have any details on the poll, just that BT/Phorm keep saying that their customers told them they want this. I'm surprised that no-one who was part of that poll has actually come forward detailing the questions they were asked.
serial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 15:14   #34
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/20Thinking View Post
OK, let me repeat the facts. As Phorm and 80/20 Thinking have both publicly stated, this is a commercial contract. 80/20 is a commercial organisation, even if it is a commercial organisation with a difference (half its profits go to civil liberties campaigners in developing countries). .....snip....

No, my job is simply to assess the facts of the case.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Thank you for the informative reply in which you have made the clear statement that 80/20 Thinking is indeed being paid by Phorm.

I fully understand that as a commercial organisation, your Company exists to make money and I am in no way questioning the integrity of the process but I think its funding is relevant to the way the process is perceived.

The PIA would appear on the face of it to be 'compliance with due process'. Phorm will contend voluntary self-assessment and transparency and 80/20 Thinking is managing that process whilst on the payroll.

With respect, Tuesday's meeting looks more and more like a carefully planned PR exercise under the guise of openness. A 2 hour meeting in London is not a representative forum of the views of millions of people and for that reason, the meeting itself is of no consequence.

The illegal interception of thousands of users data will however have consequences and I presume the PIA will address the facts known from BT's admission?
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 18:26   #35
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/20Thinking View Post
I think I may not have been precise enough with my wording. You cannot poll the opinions of the population until you can communicate precisely what is known. It would be bizarre to ask for opinions in any structured way until the full range of facts can be presented. The key point of the public meeting is to test assertions, ask questions and engage with those who know those facts.
If this is the case, then how can a 2000 participant poll by BT be construed as an accurate representation? Furthermore, what were the questions asked by BT in the poll? It would seem obvious that the questions would be tainted to give answers in favour of the system; a common method employed by polls run by parties with a commercial interest.

Had the poll laid out the facts with regards to law and privacy concerns I am sure the results would have been considerably different.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 19:05   #36
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

I think the nature of the poles (wording, results, information presented to promote an informed answer) should be released by all concerned.
If this information is not released, it is safe to say it is highly biased and contained leading questions. As a result, any mention of them should be soundly rejected on these grounds as not being truly representative. Could this be raised at the meeting?
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 22:32   #37
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

a few more comments on this are appearing here in reference to our CF thread...
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...acetoface.html
"
Gnasherx

Comment No. 1047102
April 13 21:16

Comment No. 1046731:

"My job is simply to assess the facts of the case. You will not like some of our conclusions but you will embrace others."

You haven't completed the process yet. Do you know what the conclusions will be?"

i guess that this ongoing CF interaction is the better option for clarity...
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 12:17   #38
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

i just noticed that the ElReg thread have only just updated my pointer to this thread....

if your late to the party, theres been a lot of text since then, so you might want to start here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...-page-204.html to catch up on the other thread....
Old 15-04-2008, 00:24   #39
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

From the 80/20 website about tomorrow's meeting:

Quote:
Please note: we have arranged for this meeting to be professionally filmed. The entire event will be placed on the Web shortly. If you are concerned about being filmed, please let a member of the organising team
know in advance. It is also likely that a national TV news programme will also be present.
As Rolf Harris might say "Can you see what it is yet?". There's no such thing as bad publicity.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 01:31   #40
popper
Inactive

well if thats true, it goes for both partys involved....

a professionally filmed meeting is all well and good, but if its not used and streamed in realtime as was requested and required for us the individual stakeholders not able to attend this meeting, then can you confirm we will also have a realtime stream of some quality at the event today?

and have the URLs and related information posted here before the event begins?

the professionally filmed footage might be good for placing on the HD Vuse network OC if its not edited out the best bits......later.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:15   #41
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I would just like to update this thread and announce I have been invited to attend the meeting as a guest speaker as a representative of the general public.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 08:05   #42
popper
Inactive

theres a good chance you might be interviewed by C4 news then Alexander....

make a potential list of points you might want to put across and assume a 30 second spot to be sure if thats the case.

if theres opportunity in that timeline, then it might be punchy to say something along the lines of the countrys MPs, Queens Council and even TV presenters private net communications could potentially be intercepted if they are using the 3 UKs ISPs for their office and or home net connection.

that 'the UK professions Effected by Net Interception' point might get the headlines far more than joe blogs and it also happens to be true with 70% plus of the UK ISP users effected by ISP/Phorm Deep Packet Interception.

remember VM carry a LOT of the council/courts/Professional cable BB network, and BT the rest....

---------- Post added at 07:05 ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 ----------

its a pitty we dont have a Cable forum/BadPhorm banner backdrop for any TV interviews too, anyone made one for a quick A3 printer/plotter output
Old 15-04-2008, 11:00   #43
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I would just like to update this thread and announce I have been invited to attend the meeting as a guest speaker as a representative of the general public.

Alexander Hanff
Well done!.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 11:48   #44
popper
Inactive

stuart #3391 ? regarding getting the PIA user side attendee No's up.
Old 15-04-2008, 11:59   #45
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I don't have time.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote