Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wanting to complain who do I speak to?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Wanting to complain who do I speak to?

Old 07-12-2018, 19:40   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Wanting to complain who do I speak to?

Just wondering who I ask for in customer service when complaining?

My father in law called VM to say they were moving house and gave them details of the new address for them to come out and install the service he has for when they moved in which was Wednesday 1-6.

I waited at the new place to collect removal stuff and wait for VM setting up his TV/internet.

Bearing in mind he is 75 and his wife is 78 and has dementia so technology is not really his thing at all and the internet was for his grandson as he stays over a lot.

VM never turned up so I setup freeview, Wife did the live chat today to try and sort it all out for him to find out the reason they never turned up was because they don't do VM at the new address and want £50 to get out of his contract.

Robbing *** I'm not letting it drop I don't see why he should have to pay £50 it's their fault?
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2018, 21:36   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: wanting to complain who do I speak to?

VM are currently the most complained about TV service provider, with complaints about complaint handling topping the list, so I wish you the best of luck.

In my experience, you'll be messed about, lied to, promised call backs that don't materialise, be told that your complaint has been "resolved", told that you have accepted this, told that you've received non existent letters/phone calls/emails, told that their regulator has said that they don't have to pay any form of compensation etc etc. In the end, you'll be sent a 'deadlock letter'. There's a good chance that this will look like it's been written by a child due to the mistakes, atrocious spelling and lack of grammar.

This whole process appears to be crafted to make you give up pursuing your complaint, but it just made me even more determined and their behaviour only served to add weight to my grievance.

If you get through to the foreign call centre, I would advise you to put the phone down and redial until you get through to a UK call centre. In my experience, they will only serve to waste your time and frustrate you as they go through their script which bears no relation to what you are talking about and this is assuming that they understand basic English.

My advice is to record and keep everything and, once you get their excuse for a deadlock letter, you can then complain to CISAS:

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/

Frontline staff may start getting rude or stroppy (eg some of them have been known to tut, sigh, threaten to terminate the call after their fob off attempts have failed etc).

Any difficulties or extra help required due to age, disability etc are very likely to be unilaterally and unlawfully ignored.

If this happens, I would advise you to send an email to their CEO at tom.mockridge@virginmedia.co.uk At one time this would have been dealt with by his office, but it now appears to be the case that emails of complaint to him are delegated straight back down to the very people that you are complaining about, however, in my experience, the staff who deal with these delegated emails do tend to treat customers with a little more respect.

In your case I would, at the very least, be asking for £50 compensation to offset the charge levied on people who dare to move to a house in an area that VM haven't cabled. VM appear to work on the principle that a customers time is worth nothing and that any inconvenience or out of pocket expenses are simply tough. I was once told that they "don't offer any form of compensation"; which is a fine example of the nonsense that you will be subject to.

Keep us informed and good luck!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 07-12-2018 at 21:41. Reason: Added CEO email address.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 23:26   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Wanting to complain who do I speak to?

That info is a bit over the top. Most companies have a team to deal with customers that require extra help or special requirements. Also if you are going to record a call to use for any purpose you have to let the advisor know and ask their permission. There is no need to get a deadlock letter.

Richard most companies will state they don't compensate or offer compensation. Many 2ill offer a goodwill gesture for the complaint reason or issue rather than giving you money for time wasted or even time spent trying to resolve the issue.

Technically when the contract was taken it was to provide service at the given address. So it's not really VMs fault if the account holder decides to move.

However I would call and ask to make a complaint. No staff should be tutting or sighing on the call, it's unprofessional and they could get in trouble for such behaviour as quality calls are checked and marked. They would also only terminate a call if they are being abused or sworn at and even then it will only be after a number of warnings would be given.

The quickest way to get the complaint resolved would be to email the CEO office.

It is likely not to get as far as deadlock and the Ombudsman. Deadlock is only if no resolution to the complaint can be reached and VMs internal complaint process is exhausted.

work for a CEO/Customer Relations team within a very large telecommunications company and in the past worked for NTL/VM for 10 years. So have a lot of knowledge of these things.

Last edited by Stephen; 09-12-2018 at 23:34.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 00:36   #4
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Her dad went with Sky, Managed to get him a better deal than VM. Same entertainment package minus kids channels and HD channels.

Sky talk and the 11mb BB £43 a month. he was paying nearly £100 a month with VM
Old 12-12-2018, 19:26   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Always best to vote with your feet if a company fails to deliver what you want.

What's happened Re: the £50?
Old 13-12-2018, 23:12   #6
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Always best to vote with your feet if a company fails to deliver what you want.

What's happened Re: the £50?

Not heard anything yet about that waiting for the final bill to come through before sorting it. VM are supposed to be sending a jiffy bag so that they can have their stuff returned.

they didn't waste anytime sending out a new letter to the new owner though to join their services it's only been turned off for 3 days.
Old 18-12-2018, 10:27   #7
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I've had a similar experience, called to renegotiate my contract at the beginning of October, agreed a price which went completely wrong and has been now through to the end of November. I have just emailed Mr Mockridge as I have just had enough of calling in and trying to get this put right. If that doesn't sort it, I'm off after 16 years as a customer of (ntl then) VM.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 15:03   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It's not unusual for VM to agree one thing (often a price) and then renege on it.

When the customer calls to find out what's happening they are treated to such soundbites as "There's nothing on the notes", "You would never have been told that", "There's no evidence to support what you are saying" etc. In other words, any confusion is because the customer has got it wrong or they are all but called a liar.

One way to deal with this is to ask them to obtain a recording of the phone call (though, conveniently, these are often 'unavailable'). Another way is to insist that the member of staff who logged into your account is traced on the relevant date. You will usually be asked who you spoke to, but staff often refuse to give their names or will only give out their first name, then when you complain they will try to fob you off with "without a name we can't help you" or "without a surname we can't help you, do you realise how many members of staff with that first name work here?"

The excuses range from abrupt statements such as "I don't have to give you my name" (said in the tone of a petulant child), to some nonsense about the Data Protection Act (when pushed it becomes clear that they have no idea what they are talking about). On one occasion it was even said that they were afraid that customers might look for them on social media!!

Long term customers don't appear to be exempt from this treatment, in fact i'd go so far as saying that this means nothing to them whatsoever.

I ended up speaking to senior management after the dreadful way that I was treated/spoken to. They were very apologetic and persuaded me to stay after various financial incentives were offered along with free Sky Cinema, however, this keeps happening. Frontline staff don't seem capable/willing to resolve (often very basic) issues and are then perfectly happy to take notice to leave from customers of long standing with utter indifference.

Again, I wish you luck!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-12-2018 at 15:15.
Old 19-12-2018, 17:10   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Whilst it is unfortunate for the poster to have experienced poor Customer Service, I don't believe it is a common as you seem to be intimating, Richard.

When I rang up to discuss my monthly bill (when VM were offering new customers a reduced deal last month), I had a very pleasant discussion with the Customer Service Rep, we agreed a new price (saving me £12 per month on my existing package), and I then received a follow-up email confirming what had been agreed (and this month's bill reflects the agreed changes).

Again, it's wrong that the poster didn't get what was agreed, but I think you paint too dark a picture - ymmv.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 18:05   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's not unusual for VM to agree one thing (often a price) and then renege on it.

When the customer calls to find out what's happening they are treated to such soundbites as "There's nothing on the notes", "You would never have been told that", "There's no evidence to support what you are saying" etc. In other words, any confusion is because the customer has got it wrong or they are all but called a liar.

One way to deal with this is to ask them to obtain a recording of the phone call (though, conveniently, these are often 'unavailable'). Another way is to insist that the member of staff who logged into your account is traced on the relevant date. You will usually be asked who you spoke to, but staff often refuse to give their names or will only give out their first name, then when you complain they will try to fob you off with "without a name we can't help you" or "without a surname we can't help you, do you realise how many members of staff with that first name work here?"

The excuses range from abrupt statements such as "I don't have to give you my name" (said in the tone of a petulant child), to some nonsense about the Data Protection Act (when pushed it becomes clear that they have no idea what they are talking about). On one occasion it was even said that they were afraid that customers might look for them on social media!!

Long term customers don't appear to be exempt from this treatment, in fact i'd go so far as saying that this means nothing to them whatsoever.

I ended up speaking to senior management after the dreadful way that I was treated/spoken to. They were very apologetic and persuaded me to stay after various financial incentives were offered along with free Sky Cinema, however, this keeps happening. Frontline staff don't seem capable/willing to resolve (often very basic) issues and are then perfectly happy to take notice to leave from customers of long standing with utter indifference.

Again, I wish you luck!
You must have been extremely rude to have got a reaction like that. CS staff have always been amazingly polite to me, whether adding or 'unsubscribing' to services. I could accept one such skirmish if someone told me they had had such an experience, but from your posts, it appears that you have such conversations all the time.

I think in the case of Gavin's parents, they had signed up to a contract that had not expired.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 18:23   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You must have been extremely rude to have got a reaction like that. CS staff have always been amazingly polite to me, whether adding or 'unsubscribing' to services. I could accept one such skirmish if someone told me they had had such an experience, but from your posts, it appears that you have such conversations all the time.

I think in the case of Gavin's parents, they had signed up to a contract that had not expired.
Please provide any proof that you have of this further false allegation that you have made about myself. I believe this to be as libellous as it is malicious.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Whilst it is unfortunate for the poster to have experienced poor Customer Service, I don't believe it is a common as you seem to be intimating, Richard.

When I rang up to discuss my monthly bill (when VM were offering new customers a reduced deal last month), I had a very pleasant discussion with the Customer Service Rep, we agreed a new price (saving me £12 per month on my existing package), and I then received a follow-up email confirming what had been agreed (and this month's bill reflects the agreed changes).

Again, it's wrong that the poster didn't get what was agreed, but I think you paint too dark a picture - ymmv.
It doesn't happen every time, but has happened to me and others on more than one occassion.
Old 19-12-2018, 18:28   #12
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I have not always got what I wanted (though occasionally I have been given more than I expected) and occasionally they have messed things up, but in 18 years of phoning ntl and VM I have always been treated politely.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 18:30   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It is not appropriate to threaten other posters with libel - do not repeat this behaviour, or infractions will occur.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 18:44   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Please provide any proof that you have of this further false allegation that you have made about myself. I believe this to be as libellous as it is malicious.
Don't be silly, Richard. You know very well that I was simply commenting on rather more than this post, in which you claim on many occasions to have been subject to rudeness by Virgin Media staff, and this for someone who has a lot of rude things to say about all Indian call centre employees. Biting my head off possibly explains your general attitude which brings about the worst in other people.

I was contrasting my experience over many years with yours in my post. That is all.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 19:42   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

<removed>

ENOUGH.

Move on, or leave.