Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 19:56   #6211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The implication in this statement is for those “not ill” to be at work. In other words asymptomatic cases.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

More absolute nonsense Old Boy.

Your callous disregard for health of employees in retail, hospitality and other customer facing sectors who have no choice but to work in this environment - who can’t just sit in retired with their 18 months of recordings on their Virgin set top box - is despicable.

You’ve been vaccinated twice but let’s get them out to work with no masks or distancing before they are.
Of course it’s not a callous disregard - it’s an acknowledgement that things have changed, which you are finding hard to take in.

Despite the increased infection rate, hospitalisations have scarcely increased.

You are scared of your own shadow.
Old 02-07-2021, 20:07   #6212
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Of course it’s not a callous disregard - it’s an acknowledgement that things have changed, which you are finding hard to take in.

Despite the increased infection rate, hospitalisations have scarcely increased.

You are scared of your own shadow.
A baseless statement at the end there, as ever you personalise it because you lack any substantive point.

If things have changed due to the vaccine why should young, taxpaying adults be denied the full protection of it before having to return to work in environments that leave them at risk without mitigations?

It’s completely a callous disregard. That said it isn’t particularly new for your input into the thread to understate the value of human health against the economy that simply isn’t going to recover while people rationally act in a risk averse manner.
Old 02-07-2021, 20:08   #6213
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
The implication in this statement is for those “not ill” to be at work. In other words asymptomatic cases.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

More absolute nonsense Old Boy.

Your callous disregard for health of employees in retail, hospitality and other customer facing sectors who have no choice but to work in this environment - who can’t just sit in retired with their 18 months of recordings on their Virgin set top box - is despicable.

You’ve been vaccinated twice but let’s get them out to work with no masks or distancing before they are.
1) a comment by ONE person.
2) Not showing symptoms doesn't preclude them getting tested.
3) Your ire should be reserved for those that were last year demanding weddings should be allowed to go ahead with 300-400 people from around the country attending. Especially when people were caught having weddings, funerals, and all sorts of gatherings, with dozens of people from around the country.
Old 02-07-2021, 20:08   #6214
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

I’m not contradictory for the sake of it.

Quote:

Quote:

It’s the way you tell ‘em!
Old 02-07-2021, 20:12   #6215
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
1) a comment by ONE person.
2) Not showing symptoms doesn't preclude them getting tested.
3) Your ire should be reserved for those that were last year demanding weddings should be allowed to go ahead with 300-400 people from around the country attending. Especially when people were caught have weddings with dozens of people from around the country.
I’ve got plenty of ire to go round.

Not showing symptoms doesn’t preclude anyone getting tested but if people are to ignore test and protect in what circumstances would they get tested?

Almost certainly not where testing positive results in losing wages.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Quote:

It’s the way you tell ‘em!
If you’ve got a substantive point happy to discuss it, if not I’d call it a night at your end.

I’ve been consistent throughout the pandemic that there are no short cuts out of it. Others have clutched at straw after straw for 16 months. The latest being to understate the sweet spot where vaccinations reduce the numbers and/or that topping up the reduced efficacy of the vaccines vs delta with a few million infections is a good idea.

Last edited by jfman; 02-07-2021 at 20:18.
Old 02-07-2021, 20:23   #6216
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I’ve got plenty of ire to go round.

Not showing symptoms doesn’t preclude anyone getting tested but if people are to ignore test and protect in what circumstances would they get tested?

Almost certainly not where testing positive results in losing wages.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

If you’ve got a substantive point happy to discuss it, if not I’d call it a night at your end.

I’ve been consistent throughout the pandemic that there are no short cuts out of it. Others have clutched at straw after straw for 16 months. The latest being to understate the sweet spot where vaccinations reduce the numbers and/or that topping up the reduced efficacy of the vaccines vs delta with a few million infections is a good idea.
Well, where is your evidence that young unvaccinated people are dropping like flies from Covid?

There is none, so your point about not caring for them is moot.

You are arguing for the sake of it. Virtual normality will strike on 19 July, and about time too. Just the overseas travel to worry about now, and we will soon have a workable solution.
Old 02-07-2021, 20:24   #6217
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I had loads of straws to clutch, all to no avail.

I had to get rid of them in the end, I found they were causing sniffles, slight soreness in the throat, runny nose and itching of various body parts. Apparently that *could, possibly, maybe* mean I had some of the (now many) symptoms of Covid-19 (or hay fever).

Old 02-07-2021, 20:29   #6218
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Well, where is your evidence that young unvaccinated people are dropping like flies from Covid?

There is none, so your point about not caring for them is moot.

You are arguing for the sake of it. Virtual normality will strike on 19 July, and about time too. Just the overseas travel to worry about now, and we will soon have a workable solution.
Well OB you’ve been wrong before. To that end I take comfort in your confidence.

“Dropping like flies” isn’t the only negative health effect from Covid. Something you absolutely know but you continue to deliberately portray incorrect information surrounded by hyperbole.

I don’t know how you propose to strike virtual normality while 40% of the workforce will, rationally, continue working from home rather than risk catching an airborne virus running rife through society in an air conditioned office. Their employers won’t want the sick days either.
Old 02-07-2021, 20:32   #6219
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The vaccine working or not isn’t binary - the question is the extent they work and how many people we vaccinate.
I think the answers to your non-binary questions are:

1. Over 90% &

2. Millions including all at risk groups.

So again, masks off, distancing binned, full return to normal with no restrictions.

Your 2 requirements have been met, surely you will join me in advocating an end to all restrictions.
Old 02-07-2021, 20:38   #6220
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I think the answers to your non-binary questions are:

1. Over 90% &

2. Millions including all at risk groups.

So again, masks off, distancing binned, full return to normal with no restrictions.

Your 2 requirements have been met, surely you will join me in advocating an end to all restrictions.
Absolutely not.

You know the vaccines aren’t 90% effective at preventing infection and transmission, and this increases the risk of further mutation. If it was true (90%) we wouldn’t be seeing the figures we are seeing now. Nor would we be planning boosters so soon.

Reducing hospitalisations is welcome, but doesn’t mean we can permit unmitigated and uncontrolled spread. Do you plan on getting out of your ivory tower on 20th July and spending more in the environments presently closed? If you won’t, who will?

Last edited by jfman; 02-07-2021 at 20:44.
Old 02-07-2021, 21:35   #6221
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You know the vaccines aren’t 90% effective at preventing infection and transmission, and this increases the risk of further mutation. If it was true (90%) we wouldn’t be seeing the figures we are seeing now. Nor would we be planning boosters so soon.
well we’ve been here before. Pretty sure vaccine efficacy is at 90%+ but happy for you to provide evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
Reducing hospitalisations is welcome, but doesn’t mean we can permit unmitigated and uncontrolled spread. Do you plan on getting out of your ivory tower on 20th July and spending more in the environments presently closed? If you won’t, who will?
Me? I’ve been out and about throughout. Remember I’m in a privileged position, lockdown never really applied to me.
Old 02-07-2021, 22:18   #6222
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
well we’ve been here before. Pretty sure vaccine efficacy is at 90%+ but happy for you to provide evidence to the contrary.

Me? I’ve been out and about throughout. Remember I’m in a privileged position, lockdown never really applied to me.
Vaccine efficacy against infection against delta simply isn’t 90%. Repeating erroneous statements doesn’t increase their likelihood of becoming correct over time.

You can find evidence on the PHE website all by yourself. You’re a capable individual.

Last edited by jfman; 02-07-2021 at 22:25.
Old 02-07-2021, 23:52   #6223
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Vaccine efficacy against infection against delta simply isn’t 90%. Repeating erroneous statements doesn’t increase their likelihood of becoming correct over time.

You can find evidence on the PHE website all by yourself. You’re a capable individual.
Post it then.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:26   #6224
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Pathetic! I’m not debating this with you anymore. You are completely paranoid. 19 July looms. Bolt your doors immediately!
Old 03-07-2021, 07:34   #6225
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
A study by the University of Oxford, released in Cell, demonstrates that currently available vaccines, including AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine, will provide protection against the Delta (B.1.617.2) and Kappa (B1.617.1) variants; formerly the ‘Indian’ variants. The study investigated the ability of monoclonal antibodies in sera from recovered people, and sera from vaccinated people to neutralise the Delta and Kappa variants...

...These results build on the recent analysis by Public Health England showing early evidence of real-world data that two doses of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine are effective against the Delta variant, with similar levels of protection achieved as those seen against the Alpha variant.
https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-ce...v-2-virus.html
Closed Thread