Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 31-08-2021, 17:27   #241
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

1 gig definitely live in Wigan, hub 4 arriving on Thursday. Couldn't really say no for an extra £9.85 a month from m500 to 1 gig.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2021, 14:19   #242
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I have just been exploring my options for when 1gbit is available in my area and looking at Asus 2.5gbit and 10gbit nics as well as routers with faster throughput than my current one. I won't delve into >1gbit routers for the future atm but I have found a corker of a deal for today if anyone is interested. My current router (Asus AC68U) it something around 740mbits wan to lan through and I would obviously want to achieve more than that if I upgraded to 1gbit. Without coughing up ~£400 for an AX11000 plus the relevant nic and patch cables (>1gbit) I have been looking at the AC86U which has 940mbits wan to lan throughput and is the cracking price of £119 on Amazon. Get it while you can peeps!
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 14:28   #243
pythagoras
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I have just been exploring my options for when 1gbit is available in my area and looking at Asus 2.5gbit and 10gbit nics as well as routers with faster throughput than my current one. I won't delve into >1gbit routers for the future atm but I have found a corker of a deal for today if anyone is interested. My current router (Asus AC68U) it something around 740mbits wan to lan through and I would obviously want to achieve more than that if I upgraded to 1gbit. Without coughing up ~£400 for an AX11000 plus the relevant nic and patch cables (>1gbit) I have been looking at the AC86U which has 940mbits wan to lan throughput and is the cracking price of £119 on Amazon. Get it while you can peeps!
I have one of those connected to an Asus rog gt ac5300 as an aimesh node, I'll let you know tomorrow what actual speeds they get.
IMG_4095.jpg

Last edited by pythagoras; 01-09-2021 at 14:35.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 14:37   #244
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Bear in mind that while these Asus and similar routers can do ~940mbit it's usually with all the useful features (IPS, IDS, QoS, Filtering, Monitoring, VPN, etc) turned off.

For a "consumer" 1gbit class all-in-one router (that will do ~940mbit with all features on) something like a UDM would work well.

https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-...version)/16267

If you want more than that, you start to go down the Ubiquiti or Mikrotik line of dedicated routers and separate access points etc.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 14:49   #245
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
I have one of those connected to an Asus rog gt ac5300
That is my second option which i was refering to above. I would love to get it but atm it is £480 and i like to do a proper job so if i got that i would want the 10gbit nic which is £85 plus replace the cabling and switches around the house. I havent had a look at the switches yet but when you add it all up it will probable come to the £900 mark. It is a lot of dosh but it isnt just for 1gbit. It is an investment in network infrastructure for the house which will last many years to come.
Old 01-09-2021, 14:55   #246
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
That is my second option which i was refering to above. I would love to get it but atm it is £480 and i like to do a proper job so if i got that i would want the 10gbit nic which is £85 plus replace the cabling and switches around the house. I havent had a look at the switches yet but when you add it all up it will probable come to the £900 mark. It is a lot of dosh but it isnt just for 1gbit. It is an investment in network infrastructure for the house which will last many years to come.
Why would you want a 10G nic for that overpriced thing when it only has 1G lan ports?

The cheap way to do 10G is with SFP+ cards from ebay. RJ45 10G is horribly expensive, power hungry, higher latency, there really are no selling points to it.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 18:06   #247
General Maximus
Ran Away

I don't want to do 10gbits but if I have got to upgrade my nic why have 2.5gbits when you an have 10? (futureproofing).
Old 04-09-2021, 12:56   #248
Grimpy
cf.addict

Grimpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know the cost to go from M600 to 1gig?
Grimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 20:55   #249
General Maximus
Ran Away

I think it is going to be whatever they feel like when you ring up. I have had my last two upgrades for free (200 to 350 and 350 to 500) as long as I sign up to a new 18 month contract.
Old 05-09-2021, 17:42   #250
Grimpy
cf.addict

Quote:
I think it is going to be whatever they feel like when you ring up. I have had my last two upgrades for free (200 to 350 and 350 to 500) as long as I sign up to a new 18 month contract.
It was £116 to add it onto my existing ultimate oompth bundle with 3 tivo boxes on a new 18 month contract.
Old 05-09-2021, 18:27   #251
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpy View Post
It was £116 to add it onto my existing ultimate oompth bundle with 3 tivo boxes on a new 18 month contract.
A one off payment? How much do you pay/ month now?
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 19:14   #252
General Maximus
Ran Away

I read it as he added it to his ultimate oomph bundle which now costs £116/month on a new 18 month contract and one would assume that is a discounted price.
Old 05-09-2021, 20:23   #253
Grimpy
cf.addict

Quote:
I read it as he added it to his ultimate oomph bundle which now costs £116/month on a new 18 month contract and one would assume that is a discounted price.
That's correct.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:24   #254
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpy View Post
That's correct.
How much were you paying before? I’m paying £110 for 2 TiVo boxes ang 600 meg
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:07   #255
Grimpy
cf.addict

Quote: