Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is This Possible? DSL + Router to Router to PC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Is This Possible? DSL + Router to Router to PC

Old 08-04-2010, 11:48   #1
xiao
Inactive

Services: TV: M / TEL: XL / BB: XL = £37.80 per Month
xiao is infamous around these partsxiao is infamous around these parts
Is This Possible? DSL + Router to Router to PC

Is this Possible?

The reason i want to do this is because i do not know if i will always have a BT Internet and might move to cable in future so i don't need to get 2 different routers.

If i get a N router with DSL modem, then i move to cable Internet then i have to buy a new router, but if i do it the way i described in the pic above.
So if i did get a cable internet next month then i can just remove the DG834GT and use the WRN2000 with the cable like, until then is it possible to use it the way described.
xiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Is This Possible? DSL + Router to Router to PC

It is, but why not just replace like for like instead of having them both connected? You are likely to get more problems where things like port forwarding and UPNP are involved with more than 1 router
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:11   #3
xiao
Inactive

Services: TV: M / TEL: XL / BB: XL = £37.80 per Month
xiao is infamous around these partsxiao is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
It is, but why not just replace like for like instead of having them both connected? You are likely to get more problems where things like port forwarding and UPNP are involved with more than 1 router
I want to upgrade my wireless to N, with the possibility of changing to Cable internet in the near future.

I already own the DSL modem/rotuer, i dont want to purchase an other DSL modem/router to make my wireless N, then buy an other N router when i move to virgin media. This way when i do move to virgin media, i can just remove the DSL modem/router and work whit my N router.

I hope thats understandable

I will probably turn off all the firewall and security feature, and forward all ports, put it on DMZ mode on the DG834GT (the the DSL) and leave them on, in the new router. So i will only deal with the N router when it comes to port forwarding etc
xiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 22:29   #4
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiao View Post
I want to upgrade my wireless to N, with the possibility of changing to Cable internet in the near future.

I already own the DSL modem/rotuer, i dont want to purchase an other DSL modem/router to make my wireless N, then buy an other N router when i move to virgin media. This way when i do move to virgin media, i can just remove the DSL modem/router and work whit my N router.

I hope thats understandable

I will probably turn off all the firewall and security feature, and forward all ports, put it on DMZ mode on the DG834GT (the the DSL) and leave them on, in the new router. So i will only deal with the N router when it comes to port forwarding etc
You can probably get away with using a wireless N cable router connected to your ADSL router, and set to dial the ADSL router via PPPoE. The wireless would be only on the cable router, not the ADSL one, and when you do switch to a cable modem, all you have to do is change the settings appropriately, the access point stays the same.

So LAN on DSL router -> WAN on cable router.

The only way you can be guaranteed to have a good ADSL and cable connection on the same router is via Draytek routers. The Draytek Vigor 2820n is a good wireless N router with an ADSL port and a WAN port suitable to plug your cable modem in. As a disclaimer, it's not cheap. The cheapest I found one for was about £160.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote