Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HomePlug Adapter Choice...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HomePlug Adapter Choice...

Old 06-01-2010, 00:17   #1
The_Gunslinger
Inactive

The_Gunslinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HomePlug Adapter Choice...

I've been considering trying this out on my network, and have narrowed the field down to 3 that i like, was wondering if you guys might add any good or bad points you may have found with them, obviously i'll be needing 2, so am listing kits where possible

(not in any particular order..)

1. Netgear XAVB101 (or possibly XAVB1004 as the additional 4 ports might be useful later for NAS box etc)

2. Devolo dLAN 200Mbps AVsmart or AVplus Starter Kit

3. Solwise High Power 200Mbps with Simple Connect (NET-PL-200-AVH-PUSH)

TIA
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2010, 00:31   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: HomePlug Adapter Choice...

I haven't got any of these, but have a pair of earlier devolo's. Great kit (as in rock solid), but don't believe the quoted speeds. Mine are 85 mbps (56 on the built-in wifi), and 15 Mbps throughput seems to be the maximum attainable. I know others on here have similar experiences. I don't know what the throughput on 200mbps will be, but don't expect wonders. In terms of reliability though, they are the bees knees.

Incidentally, you may want to consider a wifi enabled version. My pair basically is a wireless access point at the 'remote' end. Best of both worlds if you ask me. Go through the powerlines where wifi struggles, and go wifi after that.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:30   #3
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

I tried some dLink ones a month or so ago as I was interested due to fairly poor WiFi distribution around the house. Basically it was easy to get working and seemed to work really well.

Problem was is that the network would freeze now and then - random intervals - which required a reboot of one of the devices, could be either one. I tried a replacement for two of them but it never helped.

Ended up returning them. Will be looking at a new Wireless Router with a booster about halfway through the house. If that fails just go for the old reliable wire solution!

Might have been my electrical circuitry but who knows!
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:22   #4
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

I have a pair of 85Mbit Devolo ones. No problems at all. They do get rather warm though.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:37   #5
andyandy
Inactive

andyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of light

Another happy Devolo user

I find them rock solid, use them mostly for getting an xbox connection into the 'games' room. No drop outs, stuttering etc.

If I want to download something using cabled - I just plug the laptop in and speeds are excellent.
andyandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 20:40   #6
The_Gunslinger
Inactive

Devolo seems to be getting good responces, in here as well as other threads i've looked in....

anyone else used the other ones i've listed ? it would be good to get somethign to assist me in comparing them a little
Old 06-01-2010, 20:53   #7
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I'm a happy Devolo user too.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 22:08   #8
The_Gunslinger
Inactive

hmmm, i'm beginning to see a trend here, i guess if i am going to give these things a try, then a solid performer is what i'm looking for, not necesarily the fastest, and i seem to be finding a good amount of praise for this make