Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New to networking !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New to networking !

Old 30-12-2009, 11:13   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
New to networking !

Hi all

I am sorry if these questions seem simple but I am totally new to networking :

My current set up in

Old PC on windows XP
New laptop windows 7
Cable 50MBps
D-link DR-615 'thingy in line' think thats my router ?

I would like to upgrade my old PC to a new dell desl top Inspiron 560 or 570with windows 7. My first question is should I upgrade the dell with a wireless card inside or buy something which plugs in (Is this called an adapter ?) Any recommendations

If so I guess my modem plugs into the D link thingy and sends siginals to the laptop and new dell pc. Is there any limitation on the siginal ie getting something with can handle 50mbps as I don't want to have high speed if the wireless is then weak.

Final question with the old pc can I simply buy an adapters so it can access the internet and will not be part of the home network as it's not windows 7.

Hope this all makes sense and I would be grateful for any views or comments.

Many thanks for your time and regards

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2009, 11:28   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New to networking !

In the end it's personal choice and whether you want cables going round the house or not

Any wired/wireless card will gain you internet access via the router and XP (or any other OS) is perfectly capable of working via the internet..

As far as speed the N router should be able to cope with 50Mbps and if in doubt then go for the wired option as that is 100Mbps per line.. Either way it should be OK
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 11:35   #3
zing_deleted

having an XP machine and 2 Win 7 machines matters not to the network. I have 2 xp machines 1 win 7 machine a PS3 a Samsung Omnia and 2 ipod touch's on my network

I believe all the pcs using wireless will need to be fitted with N adapters or the system will default back to G( not 100%on this)
Old 31-12-2009, 09:40   #4
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

What is the difference between a Router and an adapter also do you get some are combined ?

Thanks

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 10:10   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
What is the difference between a Router and an adapter also do you get some are combined ?

Thanks

Mike
The router is a base station, wired to the cable modem and to the internet.

Adaptors would be fitted to your computers, either USB dongles or cards. These are the remote end of the system which then connect wirelessly to the router. The router manages these connections, handing out IP addresses to each of the connected computers and managing their shared connection to the internet.

Hope that helps a bit.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote