Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | help with netbook connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

help with netbook connection

Old 01-01-2010, 16:39   #16
dansnan
Inactive

dansnan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: help with netbook connection

Hi, me again looking for more advice .The netbook is working great and I've downloaded all the bits and bobs I wanted on it. Now I've got another question. Its a bit of a pain when I want to attach the ethernet cable from the back of the pc to the netbook, I have to move the tower from where it is and struggle to get to the back of it to unplug the ethernet cable.What I want to know is if there is some sort of "adaptor" I could use, like with one bit that plugs into the pc and it has 2 other ethernet bits for the pc and the netbook to go. Do you know what I mean? If there is such a thing could someone tell me what it is called, where I get it from and would it be compatable with my virgin cable modem, and what type of the second ethernet cable would I need. I hope you can understand all that! Thanks, oh and a Happy New Year to you all.
dansnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2010, 16:54   #17
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I'm honestly thinking your best bet would be to buy some sort of switch/router.

You plug the switch/router into your Cable Modem and then run Ethernet cables from the switch/router to the PC and (as necesary) the netbook.

This will enable you to just connect devices to the switch/router at will, changing which you're using to access the Internet or whatever, without having to power cycle everything.

My recommendation would be something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-BEFS...2361116&sr=8-4

Not necesarily bought from Amazon, and not necessarily for that price.

You should be able to just put that in place of your existing connection to the PC (following the same swap-over procedure as above) and then connect Ethernet cables to any devices that you fancy.

That one doesn't have wireless, but if you wanted wireless you could get a wireless router and accomplish the same thing.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 18:50   #18
dansnan
Inactive

Hi Rob, thanks for your reply but I wasn't thinking of a router. I have found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/RJ45-Network...2366289&sr=1-1 this is what I was thinking of.Would it be suitable for what I want it for do you think?
Old 01-01-2010, 18:54   #19
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

You would be best off with a router.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 19:04   #20
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansnan View Post
Hi Rob, thanks for your reply but I wasn't thinking of a router. I have found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/RJ45-Network...2366289&sr=1-1 this is what I was thinking of.Would it be suitable for what I want it for do you think?
Hmmm.....

You'd need to connect that to the modem, and then have an ethernet cable coming from each output to the two devices that you want to connect.

In theory it should accomplish what you're trying to accomplish, obviously you a) wouldn't be able to have both devices connected and powered up at the same time or it would right royally screw things up, and b) would still have to power down each device and the Cable Modem before connecting the next one.

Provided you're happy with those limitations (and you will start to find them limiting and irritating given time ) you should be able to get it to work the way you're describing using that bit of kit.

As Paul says though "You would be best off with a router"

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

I know I'm repeating myself, but you would need to be very careful not to have the two devices connected both to the splitter at the same time - on the understanding that you're only planning on having one powered on and working at a time this should work.

Better still, instead of unplugging the end that's at the PC why not just unplug the end of the cable that goes into the Cable Modem. Get yourself a second ethernet cable (Cat 5) and when you want to connect the netbook unplug the one from PC to Cable Modem at the end where it's connected to the Modem and then just plug your netbook in there directly.

Saves you having to bugger around climbing behind the PC, I'm assuming access to the Cable Modem is less of a problem?

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Also, doing that saves you buying a splitter at all.
Old 01-01-2010, 19:25   #21
dansnan
Inactive

Thanks for replies Rob and Paul but I'm not bothered about limitations, as I said in my first post the netbook is only going to be used as a backup. With the splitter thingy I wont have to keep moving the tower to get to the back of it. Next question .....would this cable be suitable do you think? http://www.amazon.co.uk/30m-Professi...2368754&sr=1-3

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Thanks again Rob ( you're a star! ) but I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you mean I can just unplug the cable from the actual modem and not from the tower? and plug a 2nd cable from modem into the laptop? If so, that would be bloody brilliant! Can you show me a link to what cable I will need and then I'll leave you in peace.....until next time
Old 01-01-2010, 19:30   #22
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Yep you can uplug at the modem end, does the same job as unplugging at the tower end. All you are doing is changing how you swap the connected device. Not sure if you need patch or crossover for the modem to PC connection. One of the guys will tell you, not been with NTL for a loooooong time lol
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 19:37   #23
Raistlin
Inactive

Modem to PC should just be a straightforward Cat 5 cable (any standard Etherne cable).

As Paul says, you're doing the same thing by unplugging at the Modem end as you are by unplugging at the PC, just in a different place

Example Cable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics...T42Q6WAF6EB8MD

Amazon will even gift wrap it for you if you like
Old 01-01-2010, 19:52   #24
dansnan
Inactive

Would this one be ok..it's longer http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Str...2371613&sr=1-9
Old 01-01-2010, 20:04   #25
Raistlin
Inactive

Should be, but can I suggest this one as a compromise:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics...ref=pd_cp_ce_2

At least this way you get the backing of having brought it from Amazon, rather than some bloke in a shed somewere -I would hope that at 15.2m (some 45 feet) it should be long enough for you
Old 01-01-2010, 20:21   #26
dansnan
Inactive

Ohhh yes! that will do just fine....you can't go wrong with a long one and free delivery! Will send for it after Emmerdale, Corrie and Eastenders Thanks again for your help Rob.
Old 01-01-2010, 20:31   #27
Raistlin
Inactive

.....and there was me thinking that length wasn't important.....ah well

Glad to be of assistance as always
Old 01-01-2010, 20:47   #28
dansnan
Inactive