Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | help with netbook connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

help with netbook connection

Old 29-12-2009, 10:57   #1
dansnan
Inactive

dansnan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question help with netbook connection

Hi, this is my first posting on here and I really need some advise. I have a dell mini netbook ( or I will have later, DHL tracking said its "out for delivery" I have bought it only as a "backup" in case my pc ever breaks down. Last time I waited 6 weeks for Comet to repair it and bring it back! and I HATE being without my pc! . So am I right in thinking that all I need to do when I want to use the netbook is just plug the ethernet cable from the back of the pc into the netbook and I am connected to the internet?Or is there more to it than that. I don't need to go wireless as I said before the netbook is only for a back up.Please advise, thanks.
dansnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2009, 11:05   #2
zing_deleted

Re: help with netbook connection

do you have a router? if so the answer is yes just plug the ethernet in

In the unlikely event you do not you will need to power cycle the modem
Old 29-12-2009, 11:15   #3
dansnan
Inactive

Hi zing, is a router the same as a modem? ( I'm a bit thick when it comes to all the technical stuff) I have a cable modem Virgin sent me when it took over fron ntl who I was with at the time. Will it work with that? And how would I power up modem if I needed to.
Old 29-12-2009, 11:19   #4
zing_deleted

no a router is not the same as a modem. do you just have one box with the cable going to this and another to the pc with nothing in between? if so then its just a modem and you will need to reboot it when you change machines connected.

If you have another box inbetween then you have a router as well
Old 29-12-2009, 11:27   #5
dansnan
Inactive

No, nothing in between so I must just have a modem ( I'll kill that flamin' lad at Comet who told me a modem and router were the same thing!) So, will I still be able to connect the netbook to the internet? Could you tell me step by step what I need to do please? Sorry for being a pain but the more info I google the more confused I get!
Old 29-12-2009, 11:30   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

When you want to connect your netbook instead of your PC:

1. Switch off the PC
2. Unplug the modem from the mains
3. Switch off the netbook
4. Unplug the ethernet from the back of the PC and plug into netbook
5. Plug modem back into mains
6. Wait a couple of minutes
7. Switch netbook on

All should now be well.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 11:30   #7
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

You will be able to connect to the internet just by, powering down the modem, taking the ethernet out of the pc and plugging it into the netbook, powering the modem back up, turning the netbook on..

Job Done.

Just reverse the sequence when you want the pc back on line.

Edit:::: What Rob said...
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 11:46   #8
dansnan
Inactive

Wow, thanks for your help. So it really is as easy at that! Do I just need to do that same thing each time I want to use the netbook? which hopefully it won't be often as it is just a back up. I will let you know how I get on when it arrives thank you all once again.
Old 29-12-2009, 11:55   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Yep.
Old 29-12-2009, 18:26   #10
dansnan
Inactive

Hi again, I've just popped in to let you know that because of your help in explaining things so clearly my netbook is now up and running brilliantly!!It really was so easy. The only problem I had was the @ key....I just couldn't figure it out the the netbook keyboard, the keys are set out a bit differently to my "normal" keyboard. So I connected my "normal" keyboard and problem sorted ....great, and when I connected back to my PC everything was just as I left it ! so I am very happy. Thanks once again.
Old 29-12-2009, 18:30   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

I'm guessing that you have the wrong keyboard setup in Windows if you're having issues with the @ symbol - it wouldn't by any chance happen to be on the 2 (Shift + 2) where the " normally is would it?

If it is you need to go to into the control panel and tweak all your regional settings so that they're set to UK instead of (what I think you probably have at the moment) US. You'll find particularly that there is one there for the 'Input' device/settings, if you change this it should resolve your keyboard issue.

Glad you're sorted (more or less) anyway
Old 29-12-2009, 18:31   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansnan View Post
No, nothing in between so I must just have a modem ( I'll kill that flamin' lad at Comet who told me a modem and router were the same thing!) So, will I still be able to connect the netbook to the internet? Could you tell me step by step what I need to do please? Sorry for being a pain but the more info I google the more confused I get!
You can get an ADSL Modem which has a built in router.

The connections look like a phone socket, but they are bigger.
Old 29-12-2009, 18:35   #13
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansnan View Post
Hi again, I've just popped in to let you know that because of your help in explaining things so clearly my netbook is now up and running brilliantly!!It really was so easy. The only problem I had was the @ key....I just couldn't figure it out the the netbook keyboard, the keys are set out a bit differently to my "normal" keyboard. So I connected my "normal" keyboard and problem sorted ....great, and when I connected back to my PC everything was just as I left it ! so I am very happy. Thanks once again.

Lesson learn't stear clear of PC World / Comet / Dixsons
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 18:52   #14
dansnan
Inactive

Hi Rob, I already tried that, going to the control panel and changed from US to UK, but it doesn't really bother me that much because as the netbook is only going to be used in an emergency ie pc conking out and I prefer to use my normal keyboard and mouse with it anyway. I will set the netbook up again when I have more time and do I bit of tweaking to get it as I want it.
Old 29-12-2009, 18:53   #15
Raistlin
Inactive

Fair enough