Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HomePlug

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HomePlug

Old 29-12-2009, 10:10   #1
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08
HomePlug

I'm looking at getting some good quality homeplugs installed, as the wireless is giving me some issues. Now the house I live in, the electrical cabling is 15 years old. I had a pair of cheap homeplugs before, which worked, but not very well (I put this down to price, they were about £19.99 or something stupid). Now I am going to be putting a NAS into my network soon, and I want everyone to be able to use it at at leats 5MB/ sec. Can anyone shed some light onto some good homeplug sets and/or how well they will perform?

Thanks
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2009, 10:54   #2
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: HomePlug

I've been using Solwise products for years (http://www.solwise.co.uk/), and my wiring is more than 15 years old.

Solwise have very good after sales support, which is a definite plus with this technology.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 10:55   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

http://www.solwise.co.uk/solwisemedi...HomePlugIntro3

*** Snap ***
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 11:34   #4
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post
I'm looking at getting some good quality homeplugs installed, as the wireless is giving me some issues. Now the house I live in, the electrical cabling is 15 years old. I had a pair of cheap homeplugs before, which worked, but not very well (I put this down to price, they were about £19.99 or something stupid). Now I am going to be putting a NAS into my network soon, and I want everyone to be able to use it at at leats 5MB/ sec. Can anyone shed some light onto some good homeplug sets and/or how well they will perform?

Thanks
I think the only problem you may have is throughput. I have tried two 200mb homeplugs before now on the same 4 way strip with no surge protection and never achieved more than 4MB/s.
I use my 80mb pair to connect the attic to the router downstairs and I only normally get around 2MB/s. This is fine even for watching blu-rays etc but not so good for file transfers.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 12:25   #5
ruddock08
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
I think the only problem you may have is throughput. I have tried two 200mb homeplugs before now on the same 4 way strip with no surge protection and never achieved more than 4MB/s.
I use my 80mb pair to connect the attic to the router downstairs and I only normally get around 2MB/s. This is fine even for watching blu-rays etc but not so good for file transfers.
Solwise ones seem alright, very amateur website though! I was looking at some Netgear XBE1004 or something like that.. any ideaS?
Old 30-12-2009, 14:16   #6
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Before using these, I suggest you check for any radio hams nearby:

http://www.icomuk.co.uk/categoryRend...508&cCID=16650
http://www.rsgb.org/emc/pdfs/plt/emcplc.pdf
Old 30-12-2009, 17:34   #7
ruddock08
cf.addict

And radio hams are? I'm confused..
Old 30-12-2009, 17:36   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Amateur Radioists
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 18:03   #9
altis
cf.mega poster

Good Grief! You'll be asking who Tony Hancock is next!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mEiM0DyVBI
Old 30-12-2009, 19:10   #10
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Amateur Radioists
Radio Amatuers if you don't mind including Kymmy and myself.

The RSGB(Radio Society of Great Britain) are trying to raise the funds to force a judical review on the legality of these devices. They work as a radio transmitter, but instead of feeding their output into an aerial, they use your mains wiring as a balanced line transmission line, the same as your phone wiring minus the twists. The balance, meaning equal spacing, length and termination impedance of the tranmisson line helps to keep wanted signals in, and unwanted signals out.

This falls down when talking about electrical wiring, as there as never been a greater mis-noma, imbalances, no termination, changing impedance due to thing being plugged in, switched off/on. The result is signals being transmitted from your electrical wiring, it's not like transmitter directly plugged into an antenna, it is one.

Now some homeplugs are "notched" meaning they don't use the frequencies of certain users, however some are not.

The problem, at least from my point of view, is that they are unlicensed radio tranmitters, and should be dealt with in the same way as pirate radio stations, in addition to this, the type approval that they were tested to/against was a dodgy German standard that highly debatable.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 20:29   #11
andyandy
Inactive

andyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post

Thanks
I use devolo home plugs - and find them faultless. Mainly using them for PS3 / Xbox and dont not suffer from any dropouts etc. They are not exactly cheap, but I would give them a big thumbs up

This is the main site: http://www.devolo.co.uk/
andyandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 21:14   #12
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
...Now some homeplugs are "notched" meaning they don't use the frequencies of certain users, however some are not.....
Interesting - I never knew that! Is there an "approved list" of devices with minimal interference? The last thing I want to do is annoy a ham, especially during the holidays...
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 21:59   #13
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Interesting - I never knew that! Is there an "approved list" of devices with minimal interference? The last thing I want to do is annoy a ham, especially during the holidays...
Devolo seem to claim some sort or presence of "notching". From their "General FAQ",

Quote:
Does dLAN® interfere with amateur radio or broadcast radio reception?
No. dLAN® adapters transmit data in the frequency band from 2-30 MHz with an extremely low signal strength, amateur radio frequencies in this range are not used by the dLAN® adapters.
Couldn't find an equivelent statement on Solwise's website.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:09   #14
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyandy View Post
I use devolo home plugs - and find them faultless. Mainly using them for PS3 / Xbox and dont not suffer from any dropouts etc. They are not exactly cheap, but I would give them a big thumbs up

My sentiments too. £59 a pair from Maplin and are very good.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46   #15
andyandy
Inactive

andyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyandy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
My sentiments too. £59 a pair from Maplin and are very good.
Amazon have some at about £49 right now too.
andyandy is offline   Reply With Quote