Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Big improvement with new wireless card

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Big improvement with new wireless card

Old 06-12-2009, 12:43   #1
doc2009
Inactive

doc2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Big improvement with new wireless card

Hi folks.
I have had 50 meg service for quite a while now and although generally happy with it have found that when downloading, my speed would fluctuate wildly when using wireless. My laptop has an intenal pci wireless card, type g so couldnt deliver n type speeds, I hate the USB dongle that comes with WNR2000 netgear router, sticks out to much and is easily broken, as i found out. It also gave varied speeds. I bought a netgear wireless laptop card WN511B, an improvement but still speed would show about 30mbps then drop to zero then climb then drop. Bought a buffalo mini usb adapter, very small in size and unfortunately also very small in performance. Then last week whilst browsing, i found that i could upgrade the wireless card in the laptop to a type n, Bought an INTEL WIRELESS 4965AGN 802.11N 300MBPS MINI PCI-E CARD (apologies for caps but i pasted that in) from a seller on Ebay for £14.99 and what a difference. The card took about 2 minutes to replace. My internal card had 2 antenna, this n card comes with an additional one that just clips on in same way as the original 2 to give it true MiMo, Now when downloading from newsgroups i regularly hit 50 mbps and have full 5 bars showing constantly for signal strength. Well worth considering for anyone frustrated with their connection at moment. I wouldnt normally post an ebay dealer but the link is here, i have never used ebay before, dont trust it, but i bought as a guest using paypal, card was delivered within 2 days, OK i know i sound like a salesman but if you search for my other posts you will see i have posted before about poor speeds etc, so happy to try and help other users improve their speeds. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-WIRELESS...3D11%26ps%3D63
doc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2009, 10:00   #2
doc2009
Inactive

doc2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Big improvement with new wireless card

Just an update on this, more for the reason to keep the post from disappearing than anything else. I have now had this card installed in my laptop for a few weeks and can only say that it makes the 50 MB service what in my eyes it should be. I subscribe to newsgroups and consistently get speeds of 40 Mb or above when downloading. Signal no longer fluctuates or drops to zero then climbs back up. Can download 700 mb file in about 2 minutes. It is scary fast. Having tried various N type dongles and network cards i would seriously recommend installing a card inside your laptop for serious performance improvement. Happy new year everyone.
doc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote