Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dlink DIR-615 wireless connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dlink DIR-615 wireless connection

Old 27-11-2009, 09:20   #1
Wingy
Inactive

Wingy is an unknown quantity at this point
Dlink DIR-615 wireless connection

Hi all

Have a bit of a problem connecting to my dlink DIR-615 router. recently got Virgin broadband, and went to set up the router as three of us in the house need to use it from our rooms.
tried setting it up via my pc, didn't get very far as i couldn't the installation program couldn't detect the router from my pc :S

tried it on a second pc and no problems at all, set up the router via the install cd and away it goes. daringly tried then to connect via wireless on the same pc i'd just managed to set the router up on and it won't connect. it detects the network and i was entering the network key correctly.

unfortunatly due to an accident i managed to damage the pc so it doesn't work . grabbed a flat mates pc, after about 40 minutes on the phone to virgin, i had a wireless connection on my flat mates pc. in all honesty i'm not sure how. there was just a lot of refreshing of the network list, deleting of wirless profiles and i exited the netgear wireless program once (after this and a modem/router reboot it decided to connect)

tried that on mine, still nothing. i can detect the network just won't connect. managed once or twice to get a limited or no connectivity connection, but it might as well not be connected.

only difference between the pc's is i'm on vista and he is on xp.

i can get the internet when connected to the modem directly from my pc no problem. and i've connected to other wireless networks.

does anyone have any kind of idea as to what the problem might be? that or if i just buy a new router to see if it will work.

any help be would be much appriciated

wingy
Wingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2009, 09:40   #2
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: Dlink DIR-615 wireless connection

It might be worth you doing a hard reset of the router and starting again from scratch, via the reset on the back of the router.

I have just recently installed the same router and had a connection issue which wouldn't let me complete the installation process via the quick start CD.

But once I turned everything off, rebooted the modem (waited for the lights to go steady), then rebooted the router (waited again for these lights to go steady) then booted up the laptop it connected fine.

I found the instruction on the CD to be a bit naff and were not idiot proof like they need to be.

I also set mine up to use WPA2 security and it now connects fine.

If I remember correctly there was also a tick box you need to tick if your using a cable modem which I nearly missed. (again not mentioned in the instructions)

Hope you get it sorted
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 10:04   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

All we do is get you to pinhole reset the router while powered on for 15 seconds.

Connect your laptop or PC into one of the blue ports and open a web page.

In the address bar you put 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return you will asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank and then you login.

You will be presented with a D Link page for the router.

On the left chose wireless setup then go to manual setup at the bottom.

Ignore the Pin section and go to the box with the SSID which by default will be dlink and change it to one of your choice.

Then choose your security option which should be the bottom one from the drop down WPA/WPA2 and the Network key box will appear and in here you put a password with a minimum length of 8 characters.

Then click save settings and wait for it to finish remove the ethernet cable and look for your newly named network and connect using your password.

You shoulod be connected and it should have taken between 5 and 10 minutes to achieve this and the disk will make a nice coaster.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 10:24   #4
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
All we do is get you to pinhole reset the router while powered on for 15 seconds.

In the address bar you put 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return you will asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank and then you login.

Ignore the Pin section and go to the box with the SSID which by default will be dlink and change it to one of your choice.

Then choose your security option which should be the bottom one from the drop down WPA/WPA2 and the Network key box will appear and in here you put a password with a minimum length of 8 characters.

Then click save settings and wait for it to finish remove the ethernet cable and look for your newly named network and connect using your password.

You shoulod be connected and it should have taken between 5 and 10 minutes to achieve this and the disk will make a nice coaster.
Hi Moldova, seen as you know a thing or 2 about routers (amongst other things) can you offer any advice on setting up the router to enable the best (most stable connection) as I,m currently noticing poor voice chat communications whilst connected to my xbox.

Actual gaming seems pretty good, and Ive not messed around with any port forwarding, NAT, Upnp yet to see if it makes any difference.

Ive only just got this router (2 days ago) and know very little about them, but doing a little research last night suggests the MTU may be set to 1400 and not 1500, can this be a contributor.

I apologise to the OP for butting in, but seen as the issues relate to the same router I thought it was better this way.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

sorry but forgot to mention I,m NOT wireless, cat 5 all the way for me
Old 27-11-2009, 10:31   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Hi Moldova, seen as you know a thing or 2 about routers (amongst other things) can you offer any advice on setting up the router to enable the best (most stable connection) as I,m currently noticing poor voice chat communications whilst connected to my xbox.

Actual gaming seems pretty good, and Ive not messed around with any port forwarding, NAT, Upnp yet to see if it makes any difference.

Ive only just got this router (2 days ago) and know very little about them, but doing a little research last night suggests the MTU may be set to 1400 and not 1500, can this be a contributor.

I apologise to the OP for butting in, but seen as the issues relate to the same router I thought it was better this way.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

sorry but forgot to mention I,m NOT wireless, cat 5 all the way for me
Hi Pabscars all I have posted is how we deal with setting up that router when you call in for help and the above is always the easiest and quickest way to set it up.

So I do not know much more about that router apart from setting it up as we do not support the myriad of settings that the is available in that router.

I always advise customers with questions such as yours to try googling the D Link forums link here http://search.virginmedia.com/results/?channel=search&vml=telewest&vmt=&f=0&q=dlink+foru ms&submit-frmGoogleWeb=Web+Search as they are the people who can help you best.

I am a Edimax user at home.
Old 27-11-2009, 10:43   #6
Wingy
Inactive

Wingy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

thanks for the replys.

the problem is, i can't access the router even when i'm hooked up with a wire. it's as if there's something preventing, either on my pc or the router, from letting them talk to each other. i've tried disabling every thing on my pc (firewall wise) to see if that was preventing it, but nothing.

when i first attempted the install my router, the internet light on the router would never be a steady green, regardless of power downs and restarts, it was only when i swapped pc's and rebooted the router i got a steady green light.

i'll attempt that from the pc that can connect and see what happens.
Wingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 10:50   #7
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Hi Pabscars all I have posted is how we deal with setting up that router when you call in for help and the above is always the easiest and quickest way to set it up.

So I do not know much more about that router apart from setting it up as we do not support the myriad of settings that the is available in that router.

I always advise customers with questions such as yours to try googling the D Link forums link here http://search.virginmedia.com/results/?channel=search&vml=telewest&vmt=&f=0&q=dlink+foru ms&submit-frmGoogleWeb=Web+Search as they are the people who can help you best.

I am a Edimax user at home.
Cheers Mol, I did try googling last night but it wasn't that helpful, I just thought that maybe someone could direct us mere mortals in the right direction for our 50Mb connections as its a bit more specific.

I've not looked at your link yet but will do shortly.

When I used the netgear WNR2000 router supplied also from VM there was a lot of advice on here on what to tweak to get full warp drive, so thought this the best place to start.

Is the firmware VM's or is it standard ?, as Ive noticed mine is an old 1.0 version which has been superseded now I believe.

Thanks again
Old 27-11-2009, 10:57   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Cheers Mol, I did try googling last night but it wasn't that helpful, I just thought that maybe someone could direct us mere mortals in the right direction for our 50Mb connections as its a bit more specific.

I've not looked at your link yet but will do shortly.

When I used the netgear WNR2000 router supplied also from VM there was a lot of advice on here on what to tweak to get full warp drive, so thought this the best place to start.

Is the firmware VM's or is it standard ?, as Ive noticed mine is an old 1.0 version which has been superseded now I believe.

Thanks again
You can try updating the firmware on the D Link site, we do not have much dealings with much more on the routers as that is out of the Support Scope, that is why I gave the forum links above.
Old 27-11-2009, 11:56   #9
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
You can try updating the firmware on the D Link site, we do not have much dealings with much more on the routers as that is out of the Support Scope, that is why I gave the forum links above.
Mucho Gratsi
Old 27-11-2009, 15:49   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Mucho Gratsi
Let us know if you get it sorted so the other users can update or change their settings.

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
thanks for the replys.

the problem is, i can't access the router even when i'm hooked up with a wire. it's as if there's something preventing, either on my pc or the router, from letting them talk to each other. i've tried disabling every thing on my pc (firewall wise) to see if that was preventing it, but nothing.

when i first attempted the install my router, the internet light on the router would never be a steady green, regardless of power downs and restarts, it was only when i swapped pc's and rebooted the router i got a steady green light.

i'll attempt that from the pc that can connect and see what happens.
You need to check if you do not have a static IP set on the network card, it should be set to obtain an IP address automatically, also you need to ensure that it is actually enabled because you need a direct link to the router to set it up with or without the disk.
Old 11-12-2009, 15:40   #11
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Let us know if you get it sorted so the other users can update or change their settings.[COLOR="Silver"]
Hi Mol, just to let you know I couldnt get the D-link to perform with the original firmware, and as Ive never changed firmware before I was a bit reluctant to do it.

Gaming using this router has been very frustrating indeed, so out of frustration I swapped back to my netgear WNR2000 and the difference was chalk and cheese.

As soon as I connected up the netgear and booted up the xbox, the first game I went in I became host and kicked butt big time on MW2.

Something I have been unable to do since I installed the D-link over a week ago.

So the point I,m making is that either the D-Link router is complete junk or the firmware is very poor (or incorrectly configured by me)

I would be interested if anyone has tried an alternative firmware on it for gaming and how well it performed.

One thing I liked about the D-link was its wireless range which seemed much better than the Netgear so I would like to end up it sorted if poss.
Old 30-12-2009, 13:33   #12
piknik
Inactive

piknik is an unknown quantity at this point

D-Link have an online "emulator" for their routers, which is good way to review and work out how to configure their kit without the possibility of making a mistake with ones own equipment

DIR-615 emulator: http://www.support.dlink.com/emulato...10NA/login.htm
piknik is offline   Reply With Quote