Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV Show Snippets & General Information

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

TV Show Snippets & General Information

Old 27-02-2008, 22:03   #556
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and other Snippets

I think he was proposing that people should value the right to vote, and not take it for granted (I don't agree with him, as I support Churchill's view on democracy).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2008, 22:09   #557
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
So what did you think of Heinlein's idea that to be a citizen with the right to vote one should HAVE to serve in the armed forces before achieving citizenship and those that didn't should have no right to vote.
I don't agree with it.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 00:36   #558
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

My point is that nothing was ever really said or made of this point in the film and yet it was the entire point of the story.
Old 28-02-2008, 00:49   #559
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

But it was mentioned in the movie, more than once...

I've never read the novel, but I know the movie is meant to be very different.

The movie, to me, came across as more than simply guts & gore, & had very interesting satire (also like Paul Verhoeven & Ed Neumeier's earlier RoboCop).

The Citizen/Civilian thing, the fascist military regime running the Federation, the rather Nazi-esque uniforms, the war itself, the MI itself...

Just checking Wikipedia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia entry for "Starship Troopers (film)"
In his commentary on the DVD edition of the film, director Paul Verhoeven states unambiguously that the movie's message is "War makes fascists of us all", and that he sees the movie as a satire of American militarism. On the same commentary, screenwriter Ed Neumeier (who had previously worked with Verhoeven on RoboCop) broadly concurs, although he sees the satire as applying to the whole of human history, rather than solely to the U.S.

Since the filmmakers did not make these statements at the time of the film's release, viewers have interpreted it variously: as a satire, as a celebration of fascism, or as a simple tongue-in-cheek action film.
Old 28-02-2008, 00:59   #560
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
But it was mentioned in the movie, more than once...

I've never read the novel, but I know the movie is meant to be very different.

The movie, to me, came across as more than simply guts & gore, & had very interesting satire (also like Paul Verhoeven & Ed Neumeier's earlier RoboCop).

The Citizen/Civilian thing, the fascist military regime running the Federation, the rather Nazi-esque uniforms, the war itself, the MI itself...

Just checking Wikipedia...
Unfortunately I think perhaps the message was just too subtle for most and went over a lot of heads.I would imagine it was never even considered in number 2 at all.
Old 28-02-2008, 19:22   #561
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
Unfortunately I think perhaps the message was just too subtle for most and went over a lot of heads.I would imagine it was never even considered in number 2 at all.
Starship Troopers was a comic masterpiece. I watched it with the missus and her dad, we rolled about laughing. But, as you say, probably too subtle for many.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 19:39   #562
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Terminator salvation to be released may '09 (first part in a new trilogy)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02..._release_date/

HHHmmm I don't look forward to it.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 20:10   #563
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
Terminator salvation to be released may '09 (first part in a new trilogy)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02..._release_date/

Some of the comments there are priceless...

Quote:
"We must destroy Hollywood!"
Couldn't agree more. But can we wait until they've released Alien v Terminator v Predator v Batman Requiem, please?
And that was one of the more polite comments.
Old 28-02-2008, 20:12   #564
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
Why not ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 20:13   #565
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Because number 3 was dire and I can't see it gettting any better.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 22:05   #566
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Why not ?
"McG-helmed film" - guarantees crapness in my book.

"reinvent the cyborg saga" - it doesn't need reinventing!
Old 28-02-2008, 22:14   #567
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I was under the impression that the Bionic woman wasn't cancelled, just that the righters strike stop it.
Old 28-02-2008, 22:22   #568
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

The Bionic Woman is dead, no more are planned to be made.

Old 09-03-2008, 17:37   #569
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

The Sci-Fi channel have picked up the mini web series Sanctuary for a full 13 episode season.

As a result of Amanda Tapping doing the above, Carter will not be in charge for season 5 of Atlantis - instead, Woolsey will become the expedition leader. Also, Daniel Jackson will make several guest appearances, and Carson Beckett will be in five episodes. Elizabeth Weir is not expected to make any appearances.

The new Star Trek Movie, which was due at Xmas this year has now been postponed to May 2009.

The Sarah Jane Adventures has been renewed for a 12 episode season 2.

Pushing Daisies will return in the Autumn with a 13 episode Season 2

Heroes will return in the Autumn for Season 3, expected to be 22 episodes.

Battlestar Season 4 is likely to be split into two 10 episode blocks - the first 10 in April and the final 10 in the Autumn or Early 2009.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Primeval has been renewed for a 10 episode Season 3

Old 09-03-2008, 19:37   #570
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
The Sci-Fi channel have picked up the mini web series Sanctuary for a full 13 episode season.

As a result of Amanda Tapping doing the above, Carter will not be in charge for season 5 of Atlantis - instead, Woolsey will become the expedition leader. Also, Daniel Jackson will make several guest appearances, and Carson Beckett will be in five episodes. Elizabeth Weir is not expected to make any appearances.
Have you seen any of the Sanctuary web episodes? Any good? I had a look at the wikipedia entry yesterday & it sounds quite interesting.

No Weir in SGA... agh, so what are they going to do about the whole "Weir in charge of an Aurora class Replicator ship" thing, seen midway through season 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Heroes will return in the Autumn for Season 3, expected to be 22 episodes.
Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Battlestar Season 4 is likely to be split into two 10 episode blocks - the first 10 in April and the final 10 in the Autumn or Early 2009.
Agh, stupid over-long hiatus