Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Comparing FTTP and Virgin in the same street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Comparing FTTP and Virgin in the same street

Old 13-09-2021, 21:32   #1
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Comparing FTTP and Virgin in the same street

More out of interest than anything else, and I'm sure some people might find it informative.

FTTP was rolled out here 12 months ago and I have now got a willing pingtest victim.

First, Virgin:

Modem mode on a USG

Now BT FTTP:

BT Smart Hub 2 with a Raspberry Pi to respond to pings (and also run Smokeping as the ADSL was shockingly bad a while back)

Compared to the ADSL on a good day:
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2021, 13:43   #2
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Comparing FTTP and Virgin in the same street

Pretty much as expected. MY VM TBB quality graph is usually slightly better than that, but not by much. VM could only match BT FTTP if they strip out all their cable and replace it with fibre. I'm sure someone will argue that the basic VM network architecture is at the root of the problem too.

BTW I was going to display my graph but TBB isn't working properly for me. The log in page isn't responding atm.

Last edited by roughbeast; 14-09-2021 at 13:49.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 19:35   #3
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Yeah the login page was really slow earlier.

VM are ripping everything out and replacing it with fibre, though no doubt they'll sell it as a super expensive upgrade for the first few years whilst giving away for free to new customers.
Old 15-09-2021, 18:16   #4
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Yeah the login page was really slow earlier.

VM are ripping everything out and replacing it with fibre, though no doubt they'll sell it as a super expensive upgrade for the first few years whilst giving away for free to new customers.
I stand to be corrected here, however VM are not ripping out the existing network, fibre will be rolled out along side it. I suspect eventually they may do that but not this decade I would think.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 18:36   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye Up View Post
I stand to be corrected here, however VM are not ripping out the existing network, fibre will be rolled out along side it. I suspect eventually they may do that but not this decade I would think.
There's no need for them to do so ATM as DOCSIS 3.1 is capable of 1Gb speeds.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 20:48   #6
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

My graph is better than this.... the only mass spike was when I was downloading a lot earlier.

alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 21:26   #7
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
There's no need for them to do so ATM as DOCSIS 3.1 is capable of 1Gb speeds.
It is the upload speed of 52Mb that is the problem. Would deploying DOCSIS 3.1 on the upstream improve that? With VMs particular network architecture would FTTP enable higher upstream speeds or not?

Finally accessed my quality graph. Pretty much what I have always had from VM.

Last edited by roughbeast; 15-09-2021 at 21:31.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 21:57   #8
Skie
a giant headend

Quote:
No you're right, I went a bit superlative.

I suspect in some areas they might have to replace stuff just given space constraints, but mostly it's an overbuild.
Old 15-09-2021, 22:32   #9
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Project Mustang, the replacement of the HFC network with fibre, will be a lng and arduous piece of work. There are several trials and surveys ongoing. They hope to use as much existing infrastructure (cabinets and duct) as possible but obviously depending on the legacy architecture there are differing amounts of both.

The removal of the TDM voice network will free up space in cabs and duct as they remove Krone blocks and twisted pair copper, but the two projects may not be in total sync to capitalise on that.

IIRC, and I can confirm quickly, the HFC shut off is scheduled for around 2035-2040, and they’ll continue to upgrade that until switch off.

XGS-PON will implemented across the FTTP network, replacing RFoG, and across the Mustang overlay.

Make no mistake VMO2 are investing a monumental amount of money to deliver this.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:20   #10
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Yeah I imagine part of the issue with the FTTP upgrade is that VM's network is a hodgepodge of networks built by various different predecessors to various different specs (e.g. ducted vs direct buried, etc etc)
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 17:33   #11
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Yeah I imagine part of the issue with the FTTP upgrade is that VM's network is a hodgepodge of networks built by various different predecessors to various different specs (e.g. ducted vs direct buried, etc etc)
There's no direct buried, It's all ducted.

The difference is the type of HFC architecture. Different types of cabs, no. of cabs etc.
Old 16-09-2021, 18:02   #12
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age

@roughbeast is there a setting in the ax11000 that allows think broadband quality monitor to function properly? I just have a solid red background on mine.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 19:17   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
@roughbeast is there a setting in the ax11000 that allows think broadband quality monitor to function properly? I just have a solid red background on mine.
Go to advanced, select respond to pings from WAN.

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 23:00   #14
pythagoras
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Go to advanced, select respond to pings from WAN.

Thanks, that did it.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 00:18   #15
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

Using existing ducting to install fibre from optical nodes to premises via distribution cabinets is only part of the work that Virgin Media needs to do. Unless the hub sites will contain the OLTs (unlikely for various reasons) VM will need to distribute with more virtual hub cabinets in the field, and each will need to be powered.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote