Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wired networking setup help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Wired networking setup help

Old 24-03-2010, 20:21   #1
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki
Wired networking setup help

Hoping that someone can help me, I plan to make wired access points around my home (2 to start off with) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I would need to buy in order to do this as I have never done it before.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2010, 09:28   #2
Hiroki
Inactive

Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Re: Wired networking setup help

Anybody know if something like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10M-EXTERNAL-B...item3ca29e3ea7) will do what I need?
Old 25-03-2010, 09:49   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Yes that will do, but if you follow that route you'll end up with multiple boxes at the router end.. Can I suggest instead that you use long ethernet cables, leave the plug on the router end and chop the plugs off the access point end and then attach a box to it Just remember to label the plug/router end so you know which one goes where.. The boxes can be bought from screwfix, pcworld, B&Q..etc..

Use this site for color codes and pin-outs
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 10:18   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Seeing you enquired about homeplugs earlier, you might want to consider the following:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179897

It really is the best of both worlds. Go through the walls to where you want to be, and go wireless from there. Not cheap, but very reliable and flexible.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:58   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Buying the bits can be expensive, but I have used a kit sold in B&Q several times and it works out a lot cheaper! And the kit has everything you need!

http://www.diy.com/ search for Philex Network Cabling Starter Kit
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 15:47   #6
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Or go to ScrewFix and get it very cheap!!
Old 25-03-2010, 21:50   #7
Hiroki
Inactive

Thanks for all the help much appreciated

Think I will go with Kymmy's way as it means I can drag the wires around the outside of the house and keep it nice and neat near my router.

At the moment I have 3 ethernet cables coming from the router and the wires go around the groove in the skirting boards around the door frame and into there respective rooms which is a bit of a pain in the backside.

Near my router is an empty room cupboard (walk in) so I might re-position my modem and router in there and drag the network leads through the vent and outside and around the house to save me drilling too many holes.

Anyone know if the network cables will be fine for out door use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Buying the bits can be expensive, but I have used a kit sold in B&Q several times and it works out a lot cheaper! And the kit has everything you need!

http://www.diy.com/ search for Philex Network Cabling Starter Kit
I saw that today in my local B&Q in the clearance isle it was around £15-£20 so I might just go buy that

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Seeing you enquired about homeplugs earlier, you might want to consider the following:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179897

It really is the best of both worlds. Go through the walls to where you want to be, and go wireless from there. Not cheap, but very reliable and flexible.
For some reason I am still spooked about this, I live in an older house with old wiring and the whole thing about the various circuits confuses me so I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that may not work (though it probably will). Might have to google this one.

Thank you to everyone for the help
Old 26-03-2010, 10:25   #8
daveybm
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Oomph
daveybm is on a distinguished roaddaveybm is on a distinguished road

Re Homeplugs, I live in a house built in the twenties and it was last rewired 22 years ago, yesterday I fitted these :- http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=6388 they took 2 days to arrive and 5 minutes to set up, so far they appear to work great for streaming HD video from my pc to the Ps3, plus you can add more if you need it, definately worth a look.

Dave
daveybm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 14:21   #9
Jonathan90
Inactive

Jonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really niceJonathan90 is just really nice

Wrong thread
Jonathan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14   #10
TuesdayWildchild
Inactive

Location: started life in Kent moved to Lincolnshire then Bedfordshire back to Lincs next who knows.
Services: Virgin phone,tv,internet, 2 virgin moblies. Freeview, Wii,Sky freeview,moblie satalite system.
TuesdayWildchild is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post

Anyone know if the network cables will be fine for out door use?
All cable/cables will work outside for a while but normal/internal cable will break down in time due to weather heat/cold. For long term insterlations use external gade or expect to replace more often.

Saying this I have just (a couple of months ago) wired a media steamer with normal?internal cat5 via an outside route will change when I get time and think about it.
TuesdayWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 13:05   #11
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Or what you can also do if installing outside is have the Ethernet cable going through some flexible plastic piping, especially if your cables will be underground too.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote