Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network/Data Switch

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network/Data Switch

Old 07-01-2010, 20:39   #1
The_Gunslinger
Inactive

The_Gunslinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Network/Data Switch

i'm currently re-organising some of my stuff as you can probably tell from my other posts !

What i have always done in the past (having dual nic's on my pc) is to connect the pc to the router using one NIC and then if i wish to hook up directly to the VM cable modem, is simply disconnect the cable from the WAN socket and plug it into my other NIC and then refresh the connections, this leaves my network intact, just with no internet......

Due to, lets say.... "technical deficiencies" in certain members of my household, i'd like to place a data switch in there so that it's pretty much idiot proof to switch the internet feed to the network or directly to my pc.

i'll be looking mainly at a Gigabit network, with the obvious reduction where certain things are concerned, homplug, wirelss etc, so i went looking around to see what switches were available.... i found this one, but its somewhat expensive, and thus overkill.

http://www.blackbox.co.uk/products/d...30a&tx=13&sx=1

So, here's my question, as i am only switching the VM Cable feed, there is no need for a switch which is rated any more than 10/100 speeds right ?

and does anyone have any recomendations ? .... most i have seen seem to be pretty much the same, such as this one....

http://www.revealcable.co.uk/acatalog/info_AA2366.html
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2010, 21:12   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: Network/Data Switch

Spend a bit more(not a lot more) and get a router, no switching, no cable swapping.

This one would do you: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wirel.../dp/B00008XYJ6 if cost is a problem.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 21:24   #3
The_Gunslinger
Inactive

i think i failed to explain myself properly....

i already have arouter for my network, but sometimes i find myself wanting to connect the VM cable modem directly to a single PC, or simply disconnect the internet from the network whilst maintaining it on that one PC.

so it's the feed from the cable modem to the router i want to "redirect" so to speak
Old 07-01-2010, 21:30   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If I understand you have say 5 PCs and you want to be able to turn on the web to 4 of them leaving yours free?

If that is the case get a cheap PC to act as a server that you control access to the web, this could be used to store addition HDD.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:31   #5
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gunslinger View Post
i think i failed to explain myself properly....

i already have arouter for my network, but sometimes i find myself wanting to connect the VM cable modem directly to a single PC, or simply disconnect the internet from the network whilst maintaining it on that one PC.

so it's the feed from the cable modem to the router i want to "redirect" so to speak
Then the second item you linked to looks fine.

I'm just a bit puzzled by why you need to link a PC direct to the modem, when you have a router(and presumably spare ports). However i'm sure there's a good reason
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 21:49   #6
The_Gunslinger
Inactive

@Hom3r ... wrong way around, right idea, want to leave theone connectted while removing the others.

@Jon T ... yes that's it, sometimes i find i dont want/need the internet connection shared out to the other pc's (sometimes i have found a differences in the speed of the connection depending if i'm running through my current router or not, also there are times when i dont want the other pc's screwing with something i'm uploading... it already takes long enough on VM's very poor uplaod speeds)
plus.... i just saw the specs on the second one i linked "RJ45, Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, 8P8C switch box, 8 pole, 2 way" ... doh!

Thanks for the reply, i think i'll go for one of those, it's not overly expensive, and if it saves me phone calls at work trying to diagose goofed up cable connections after someones connected the modem to a LAN port when reconnecting the network to the internet!! then it's probably worth it !