Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SMTP blocked?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SMTP blocked?

Old 02-01-2010, 19:25   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Question SMTP blocked?

Hi all,

Been fiddling with the home LAN today - I've got a WatchGaurd firewall which has been kicking around for a few months and finally got around to installing it today.

I've got a NAS device on the home LAN which sends out notifications when new users are configured / error reports that kinda thing.

It was configured before the firewall was put in so I know it can send the notices ok.

However - since the Watchguard was install (a few hours ago) the NAS no longer sends the notices.

The only wierd thing is that my SMTP server uses port 26.

The smtp server and port is configured along with authentication details however the device reports:

Failed to send email (Failed to resolve host address)

I can telnet to the smtp server on port 26 and get authenticated.

Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2010, 19:27   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: SMTP blocked?

Remove the Firewall as that is the only change that you have made and it will probably work.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 19:30   #3
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Remove the Firewall as that is the only change that you have made and it will probably work.
Well yeah - but I want to keep the firewall in place.

I don't think it's blocking it as

a) the request is from the internal LAN
b) I can telnet to the server
c) Outlook sends / recieves correctly
Old 02-01-2010, 19:31   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

If it is the only thing that is different in your setup then that gets my vote.

You can always reinstall.

Or can you just switch it off and try it without the firewall.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 19:34   #5
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Can you go into the firewall settings and specifically allow the NAS?
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 19:38   #6
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

If the NAS is reporting 'failed to resolve host address', are DNS queries from the NAS being blocked?
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 19:55   #7
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
Can you go into the firewall settings and specifically allow the NAS?
Yes - I've added the internal IP of the NAS as a trusted host.

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
If the NAS is reporting 'failed to resolve host address', are DNS queries from the NAS being blocked?
Not sure - how can I find out / test that theroy?
Old 02-01-2010, 19:56   #8
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Can you configure the SMTP server within the NAS as an IP address, rather than name?
Old 02-01-2010, 20:00   #9
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
Can you configure the SMTP server within the NAS as an IP address, rather than name?
Yep - can test that...

Ping'ed my mail server and got the IP - added that instead of the name and sent a test which was recieved! Yay!

So - it's a DNS lookup issue??
Old 02-01-2010, 20:04   #10
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sounds like it. Possibly the firewall blocking DNS queries from the NAS to your DNS server (or, if you are not running DNS, perhaps it's blocking NETBIOS broadcasts?)
Old 02-01-2010, 20:06   #11
LSainsbury

OK - I've changed the mail server back the name and changed the DNS server to an external DNS - now working ok.

Thanks for the help!