Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 21:50   #2521
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
There's been rumours floating around that it was going fta and on freeview.
Yep, pretty much since Freeview started.

Advertisement
Old 05-09-2017, 21:59   #2522
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

That's true.

People tend to argue that it does well as a subscription channel, so there's no incentive for UKTV to make it FTA.

On the other hand, people have also said that it's a shadow of its former self and that a lot of its content is now duplicated on other FTA UKTV channels eg it's comedy programmes on Yesterday!

If this advert did appear, I wonder if it was shown early in error. This would give us an indication that it will come to Freeview at some point (unless it's already on Freeview, I can't check as my aerial is out of action).
Old 05-09-2017, 22:58   #2523
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
That's true.

People tend to argue that it does well as a subscription channel, so there's no incentive for UKTV to make it FTA.

On the other hand, people have also said that it's a shadow of its former self and that a lot of its content is now duplicated on other FTA UKTV channels eg it's comedy programmes on Yesterday!

If this advert did appear, I wonder if it was shown early in error. This would give us an indication that it will come to Freeview at some point (unless it's already on Freeview, I can't check as my aerial is out of action).
As of yesterday GOLD was NOT on MB HQ's Freeview HD Box.

We have look around at our web sources on Freeview and seen at GOLD has not launched today on Freeview.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Further info:

Rishtey Cineplex is testing on EPG slot 828, flagged as "Entertainment", presumably that will be changed to "International" before launch, in line with other channels in that section of the 800s. It has pack flags for Mix, M+, L/Fun & XL/Full House. Scan data indicated that video and audio streams have been rolled out across the national network.
That an good channel number - right beside Rishtey Europe.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 05-09-2017, 23:04   #2524
jj20x

Quote:
That's true.

It sounds like it was the Freeview ad rather than Gold advertising its presence on Freeeview. But why would the Freeview ad addressing Freeview customers appear on Gold? Possibly just an error.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
That an good channel number - right beside Rishtey Europe.
Indeed, it fits in quite nicely.

Last edited by jj20x; 05-09-2017 at 23:29.

Old 05-09-2017, 23:32   #2525
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

@jj20x

Did anything happen last night - we got an reboot.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:22   #2526
jj20x

Quote:
Sky Cinema are also going to launch a pop up Sci Fi movie channel from 9/9/17.
It's great isn't it? Sky replaces a Sky branded sci-fi movie channel "Sky Cinema Sci-Fi and Horror" with a, erm, Sky branded sci-fi movie channel "Sky Cinema Sky-Fi". These temporary re-brands are becoming ridiculous.

---------- Post added at 03:22 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ----------

Quote:
@jj20x

Did anything happen last night - we got an reboot.
Possibly a change in the NIT linkage section on your regional VM network, these things happen fairly often but as they relate to maintenance, updates etc for VM equipment rather than changes to the broadcast infrastructure, it isn't something routinely tracked in the scan data.

The service list and frequency lists didn't change and there were no changes to the relative sizes of the NIT and SDT tables, so nothing major.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:51   #2527
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Price going up 3.99!!! What on earth???! Has anyone worked out the price rises over the last 18 months? Must be near 20 quid?!

Really makes things difficult for me as to what to do. Need to have a think. If they put prices up by a quid a year it would be okay. But this is getting out of hand. Email complaint coming up i think
Old 06-09-2017, 12:08   #2528
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

Give VM a call, I did yesterday, no problem, price increase credit put on account for the next six months.
Old 06-09-2017, 13:57   #2529
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Possibly a change in the NIT linkage section on your regional VM network, these things happen fairly often but as they relate to maintenance, updates etc for VM equipment rather than changes to the broadcast infrastructure, it isn't something routinely tracked in the scan data.

The service list and frequency lists didn't change and there were no changes to the relative sizes of the NIT and SDT tables, so nothing major.
We only know about the reboot due to it doing it half way into taping something on Monday Night.
Old 06-09-2017, 15:09   #2530
jj20x

Quote:
We only know about the reboot due to it doing it half way into taping something on Monday Night.
Yes, it's annoying when that happens. It happened a few times when I was recording a series aired overnight, on the second Tivo, there were a few gaps where the box had rebooted.

Are you comparing this situation with that of the V+, which needed a forced reboot when the service list changed? Tivo's generally handle that sort of thing without a forced reboot.

Old 06-09-2017, 15:23   #2531
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknewark View Post
Give VM a call, I did yesterday, no problem, price increase credit put on account for the next six months.
That's right, and if the cost remains too high, remember there are other ways to access the TV channels you want. Sky channels through Now TV; Freeview channels either with a Freeview Recorder, Freesat or you can access through TV Player; lifestyle and reality through Hayu; Amazon Channels with Amazon Prime; and of course Netflix.

It does not take long to work out how to access the material you actually want and maybe more for a rather lower price than you are paying now.
Old 06-09-2017, 15:28   #2532
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Yes, it's annoying when that happens. It happened a few times when I was recording a series aired overnight, on the second Tivo, there were a few gaps where the box had rebooted.

Are you comparing this situation with that of the V+, which needed a forced reboot when the service list changed? Tivo's generally handle that sort of thing without a forced reboot.
It was an V+ Box someone I know told me about it.
Old 06-09-2017, 15:57   #2533
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Got to admit these prices are starting to look ridiculous. One months payment to Virgin is a years subscription to Netflix.
Old 06-09-2017, 16:52   #2534
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Have to agree, it seems to me that Malone is being very greedy compared to previous owners.
Old 06-09-2017, 17:23   #2535
jj20x

Quote:
It was an V+ Box someone I know told me about it.
Hmm, that's not what you said originally but ok, it's useful to know the actual circumstances.

In any event, there were no changes recorded on the SDT at that point since the "Mickey & Pals" name change.

Closed Thread