Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What do i need to set up freesat tv.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

What do i need to set up freesat tv.

Old 29-05-2011, 12:20   #1
scotmac
Inactive

Services: XL Tv 2 x V6 1 TB TiVo 200 Broadband XL phone
scotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of light
What do i need to set up freesat tv.

Hi i have had a freesat tv for about 18 months, did not and still don`t know what would be the easiest way to set it up.

1. I have an old Sky analogue dish still on wall, will it be pointing in right direction or can it be moved ,if so would fitting new LNB be ok.

2. Would it be easier just buying new dish and LNB.

3. If 2. is there anything else i would need ( not counting cable which i will need for any option).

Please try not to be technical, any advice would great thanks.
scotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2011, 15:08   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: What do i need to set up freesat tv.

Just plug in the existing dish I would have thought.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 15:12   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Analogue will be pointing in the wrong direction (19.2E instead of 28.2E) also the LNB might be a non-tone switched one so even if it was pointing in the right direction you would only get some of the channels..

A new LNB is less than a tenner and all you need to do is move the dish slightly to the left about 3 degrees and about half a degree down....
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 18:54   #4
scotmac
Inactive

Services: XL Tv 2 x V6 1 TB TiVo 200 Broadband XL phone
scotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies will check out ebay for quad LNB and cable ( Cabletel cut cable off the dish when they installed their system ).
scotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:57   #5
daycartes
Inactive

daycartes can only hope to improve

Buy one of the ross fressat units from B & Q. I did a couple of years ago and have never looked back.
Then join the thread above for help in setting it up.
daycartes
daycartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Crumbs no, don't buy a Ross kit. You get exactly what you pay for - bargain basement kit with no EPG worth speaking of and no possibility of additional services like iPlayer.

For the sake of a few quid, you are far better off with branded Freesat kit.

Have a look at Maplin online for satellite extension kits - I got a quad lnb, connectors and cable for IIRC £20. The only thing I would recommend in addition is a reel of self-amalgamating tape to make the connections on the lnb properly weatherproof.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:22   #7
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Crumbs no, don't buy a Ross kit. You get exactly what you pay for - bargain basement kit with no EPG worth speaking of and no possibility of additional services like iPlayer.

For the sake of a few quid, you are far better off with branded Freesat kit.

The OP said that he has a Freesat tv, he would only need the kit for the dish and LNB which has nothing to do with EPG, that's in the freesat built into the tv
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I know. I was replying to daycartes who posted above me to recommend Ross.

Ross is not Freesat in the same sense that a Dyson is not a Hoover. Ross gives you access to free-to-air satellite signals but it is not Freesat, which is a branded service with extra bits added.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:16   #9
daycartes
Inactive

Smile Re: What do i need to set up freesat tv.

I'm quite happy with Ross thanks very much. A complete system for about 80 quid (even less now I think). Of course it depends on what you want. I did take note that scotmac wanted a non techie solution /advice.
I did think of upgrading to a humax receiver or someting similar, but then I thought to myself. WHY? does it improve the actual programme? No of course it doesn't.
However I'd be quite happy to accept your advice on why I should upgrade notwithstanding the fact that I do have a perfectly good copy of the Radio Times (updated every week) which works without annoying other people's view of the programme that you're watching whilst checking out later programmes.
Old 02-06-2011, 14:36   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If you'd read he original post Scotmac didn't even want a receiver as he's already got one

As for the freesat v FTA arguement it's simple.. If you want to scan multiple sats and/or have a mix between freesat and some of the sky FTA channels then go for a FTA, other than that if you want an alternative to freeview then freesat wins hands down especially with the EPG and extra features (like iplayer)

The Ross SD system is a cheap receiver.. even my 4 yo relook mutant with it's linux firmware beats it hands down for it's updateable firmware and modular add-ons.. even gives me a full EPG as well as streaming directly to VLC on my PC.. The Ross system is though a cheap easy to use system that is a great starting point for those wanting a base FTA system.. but that's simple all it is

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotmac View Post
Thanks for the replies will check out ebay for quad LNB and cable ( Cabletel cut cable off the dish when they installed their system ).
A suggestion is before you do anything to the dish is to mark the elevation and declination before you do anything, that way you always have a set point which you know is 19.2E.

Be careful with the LNB mount as the plastic tends to go very brittle with age and the screws can be rusted in place..Also note what the LNB itself is rotatable and needs to be set to the correct angle.. Try http://www.dishpointer.com/ to give you all the correct details for the Astra 2 sats at 28.2E including the magnetic compass reading and the LNB skew.
Old 02-06-2011, 14:40   #11
daycartes
Inactive

So. you're saying that I should spend how much? on a receiver to get ( a better) EPG and iplayer?

Sorry you have completely unconvinced me and your last paragraph contained technical words linux, streaming, vlc etc.

I have in the meantime read this article

http://www.heyrick.co.uk/ricksworld/.../fswhatis.html

which attempts to explain freesat. It is quite informative. What do you think of it. I note the number of posts you have both written and your technical expertise, however using sarcasm doesn't endear yourself to new posters.
daycartes
Old 02-06-2011, 14:57   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

I never said you should spend anything else and definitely wasn't trying to convince you of anything.. If you're happy then you're happy.. but just because you're happy with a limited system it doesn't mean to say that it's the best solution for everyone..

I've had FTA receivers since the mid '80's (before Sky became popular) and it's progressed greatly since then with a lot of advancements that I won't mention as you'll just complain again that I'm being too technical.. With that experience I've learned that everyone wants to get something different out of it and they seems to think that their first FTA system is the bees knees without realising that there's a lot more to this than their own simple receiver..

Freesat (btw that link is very outdated and a bit basic) is a self contained system designed for those that want a simplified easy to use package without having to trawl through weird foreign channels destined for a country a few hundred miles away and also want some features designed for the UK market) FTA for those people is a plain and simple waste for time and money and for a more wanting analogy is the same between the usual computer Windows V Linux arguments..

As for my posting style I'm not known for flowering my responses.. I spent far too long as a technical problem solver and find that people would rather have the correct answer than a sweet fluttering of my eyelashes whilst pretending to be a dumb blonde who is fascinated by all this techie talk by the men...
Old 02-06-2011, 15:15   #13
daycartes
Inactive

It is scotmac who wanted an untechie solution not me.

You were probably a techie problem solver in the same game as me!! So please tell me using as many technical expressions as you wish what these advancements are.
Are you saying that freesat does not pick up foreign channels? and what are the features you mention that are designed for the UK?

I would like to upgrade but need a reason for it.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:19   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

If you have a question ask it in another thread as otherwise we're hijacking Scotmac's thread..
Old 02-06-2011, 15:23   #15
daycartes
Inactive

We're not hijacking anything. I proposed Ross. You rubbished it. State your reasons so that Scotmac may make a reasoned decision.

Unfortunately KYMMY despite your wealth of technical expertise 'tu parles beaucoup sans rien dire' at least up to now.

Challenge open...