Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rain = no tv.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Rain = no tv.

Old 02-05-2010, 20:55   #16
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Rain = no tv.

Its god's will, Virgin's fortune looool
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2010, 02:11   #17
Jay6
Inactive

Services: Humax Freesat+ and Sky Digital sub.
Jay6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The dish has to be pointing precisely at the satellite in order to get the best signal. If it is, then the signal reduction that occurs during bad weather will not affect your viewing pleasure. However if the dish is off by even a modest amount, it will be receiving a reduced signal even in good weather. You probably won't notice that - until it rains, and your already-compromised signal is reduced to almost nothing.

The dish may not have been properly aligned to start with, or it may have shifted if it's particularly exposed to wind, or are there perhaps trees nearby that have grown up and begun to get in the way?

You need the services of a competent, independent aerial installer.
There's no trees in the way, no. There's an unobstructed view of the sky. ..i do live on the coast though. And it gets pretty windy here sometimes. So i guess the mini-dish could be prone to being moved.. I don't think it's wire degradation or anything like that. The set up is less than a year old, and seems in pretty good condition.
Something i've just thought of though, does the number of feeds coming of one dish make a difference to picture quality? Downstairs i've got two feeds going into a humax freesat+ box, and another feed going upstairs to a sky digibox. Would splitting the signal 3 ways like that reduce the picture quality, or does that not make a difference?
Jay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49   #18
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Remember as well that the further north you go the weaker the signal is. If suffering from signal attenuation due to rain (rain drops of particular sizes can block a 10Ghz sat signal) then the only way of improving that is to raise the signal level. Which means a lower noise/higher gain LNB and also a larger dish. Proper alignment might help but some areas are known for local weather that will constantly drop out the signal.

I remember during Sky's analogue days that they used to recommend an 80cm dish (over the usual 60Cm dishes) for anyone above a certain latitude. The digital dishes are also now even smaller.. Looking though at the footprint charts they do say 95% of UK mainland can get astra2 on a 50cm dish, these though are ideal scenarios
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 15:37   #19
NO ONE
Inactive

Services: SKY DIG Sky+hd Mullity room(SKY WORLD) SKY BB MAX Sky talk L/r /Takl mobil PAY MO Freevew hd
NO ONE is on a distinguished roadNO ONE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NO ONE

I am vare Locky hardley lose a singel expert a relley bad Stome at the momet cat get to to the tv The city concell ary dione up the Kitch and Barthroom other that no probs
NO ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:03   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Remember as well that the further north you go the weaker the signal is. If suffering from signal attenuation due to rain (rain drops of particular sizes can block a 10Ghz sat signal) then the only way of improving that is to raise the signal level. Which means a lower noise/higher gain LNB and also a larger dish. Proper alignment might help but some areas are known for local weather that will constantly drop out the signal.

I remember during Sky's analogue days that they used to recommend an 80cm dish (over the usual 60Cm dishes) for anyone above a certain latitude. The digital dishes are also now even smaller.. Looking though at the footprint charts they do say 95% of UK mainland can get astra2 on a 50cm dish, these though are ideal scenarios
First thing I noticed when we went south to visit family the other week was that all the dishes are smaller. I hadn't even realised, of course, because round here everyone has the same size dish ... but our dishes are all bigger than yours.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 22:04   #21
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
First thing I noticed when we went south to visit family the other week was that all the dishes are smaller. I hadn't even realised, of course, because round here everyone has the same size dish ... but our dishes are all bigger than yours.
its not the size of your parabolics its the way you use them