Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Wireless Router and NTL... keeps losing Internet...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Wireless Router and NTL... keeps losing Internet...

Old 13-09-2005, 14:56   #16
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness
Re: Belkin Wireless Router and NTL... keeps losing Internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbr
If you are having problem with the wireless pc losing the connection, or having to repair the connection regularly to get it to work, try the following:

Stop Windows from controlling the wireless card and
install the software/drivers supplied with the wireless card/device.

It is a common problem when using Windows to control wireless devices.

Windows cant control the Belkin woreless cards because you have to use the Belkin software to install the driver anyway.
Belkin software shows it as connected but nothing will work LAN or t'internet until you do a repair on the connection.
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2005, 16:01   #17
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by levig
nopes none that I know of Akane. sorry matey. have your bro's pc next to yours better if you want to play lan games
yeah in perfect world but i need my space lol
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 16:04   #18
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
Windows cant control the Belkin woreless cards because you have to use the Belkin software to install the driver anyway.
Belkin software shows it as connected but nothing will work LAN or t'internet until you do a repair on the connection.

errr you dont need the belkin software if your running on XP matey. but the problem is being checked out here and we thought that we had the problem here but no...but we are looking here at work and as soon as we know something you will know it
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 17:46   #19
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

this may be dumb but i notice that ntl 200 cable modems are sold on eBay would it be possible to run TWO cable modems in house? forget the network!
Old 13-09-2005, 17:58   #20
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane1984
this may be dumb but i notice that ntl 200 cable modems are sold on eBay would it be possible to run TWO cable modems in house? forget the network!
Yea but No. The second would need to be provisioned and billed by NTL, a NTL CM shoudl not be sold on ebay and realistically has 0 value as you get it free when you get the service.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 19:01   #21
DarronK
Inactive

DarronK is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by levig
Darron, can you check which version of the firmware you running at present mate??? I've had this myself and checked with my teamleader and he has heard of it sometimes but havent found out why and cant really replicate it at work... I do Dutch Technical support at Belkin and the strange thing is that I've only heard of this problem 2 times now 1 myself and the other time from some1 in Holland also on cable internet. but like I said havent found out a cure for this at the moment just to give the router a reboot and its fine afterwards.

if I can find out more about this issue I'll let you know... if you want the latest version of the firmware you can go to our own (Tech Support) ftp site on ftp://supportbelkin.no-ip.org this is the place where we "dump" our beta firmwares and stuff like that, but if correct the current fw of your router is the 4.05.03 version. or if you got a new unit (1 antenna) then its 6.00.01.

oww and another thing if you call our tech number dont choose for NETWORKING stuff. just go for USB or KVM options.

and another thing ... dont mention me at all
I'm running the 4.05.03 version firmware. It's a very strange problem, and the only thing I can think of it being is a problem with the DNS servers at NTL's end. I've got a friend who's on 2meg NTL broadband, and he has the same problem, but with a standard 10/100 wired router. I'm thinking that it could possibly be a problem specific to my area. Is anyone else here from the North East/North Yorkshire area and having the same problems?

It's still happening, and I don't really want to take the router back, as apart from this problem, it's a good router. I never lose the wireless signal, and the wireless speeds are excellent. I may just have to buy another router, and test that instead.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Oh and Levig, if you manage to sort the problem, please let me know. I can manage to live with this for now, but eventually it will drive me mad.
DarronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 19:05   #22
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Darren, I will keep an eye out on this problem and keep you informed, I know its strange but you dont need to bring back or buy a new router for it and yeah I know its annoying when it happens and you have to give your router a "kick"

but I promise as soon as I find something out I'll post it here
Old 13-09-2005, 19:06   #23
DarronK
Inactive

Thanks mate...
Old 13-09-2005, 19:23   #24
akane1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Yea but No. The second would need to be provisioned and billed by NTL, a NTL CM shoudl not be sold on ebay and realistically has 0 value as you get it free when you get the service.
well could i then have two running via NTL? would they allow that, say each connection being 1MB? how would it work?
Old 13-09-2005, 19:36   #25
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarronK
I'm running the 4.05.03 version firmware. It's a very strange problem, and the only thing I can think of it being is a problem with the DNS servers at NTL's end. I've got a friend who's on 2meg NTL broadband, and he has the same problem, but with a standard 10/100 wired router. I'm thinking that it could possibly be a problem specific to my area. Is anyone else here from the North East/North Yorkshire area and having the same problems?
How can it be a ntl dns issue if the wired pc never lose's a connection?

Its router or wireless card fault. possibly might be due to windows powering down the pci slot in your computer? USB users have similar faults...
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 22:00   #26
DocDutch
argh

Handyman, the problem that Darron mentioned is "known" with us at Belkin its just not something that we hear of every day so not a lets put it wide issue. annoying but its only the router and it still has connection, gives out all the details and you can still ping away happily to say 66.102.9.99 (google.com) and even have your msn up and running, but as soon as you type in www.google.com you get PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED. as soon as you power down the router and it comes back again you can browse the web again.

trust me I know the issue and I've had it myself as well with my F5D7231uk4 and seen it in Holland 1 time with a dutch cable company similar problem as this. so its being looked into at the moment.
Old 13-09-2005, 22:10   #27
DarronK
Inactive

As Levig said, you can still use P2P software and IM programs, as well as pinging IP addresses. Also you dont lose any network functionality, so the logical conslusion is that it is a DNS issue, as the DNS handles converting Domain Names to the hosting servers IP address.

Could it possibly be that in some way the router is failing to update the DNS settings for wireless users only? Or maybe this does also affect wired PC's as well? Next time it happens, i'll check the wired PC and let you know. I'm going off the assumption that the wired PC is not being affected, as it's the family computer, and seen as i'm the tech guy of the family, I'd sure as hell get complaints about it not working.

It would be interesting to know if people with the same router are experiencing the same problems with different ISP's.

Levig. Is there anyway that I could reflash the bios on the router to the same version i've already got? I'm just thinking that it could maybe be a faulty bios installation, or the bios has somehow been corrupted.
Old 13-09-2005, 23:07   #28
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Right... 2 probs.

1. Dunno if this is signal related or not but every morning when i come to the PC it's dropped the WLAN connection. Belkin 54 Mb/s Cable router, with Belkin 54 Mb/s desktop PCI card. I've extended the antenna so it's away from the wiring on the back of the PC. SNR is currently -71 - -85 = 14 dBm and speed 36 Mb/s- XP SP2 with latest Belkin drivers, fully patched with Windows updates, using the XPSP2 Zero Config utility and WPA encryption. The fact it's normally about 3am (messenger plus log) when the connection drops seems more than coincidence...

2. This is pretty much the same issue as the OP's- router drops internet connection locking browsing and email but MSN still seems to stay signed in. Need to fire up to 192.168.2.1 and reset the router before it works, but then it works fine. Hardware F5D7230-4; Firmware 4.05.03...

Any ideas?

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 08:24   #29
DocDutch
argh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarronK
As Levig said, you can still use P2P software and IM programs, as well as pinging IP addresses. Also you dont lose any network functionality, so the logical conslusion is that it is a DNS issue, as the DNS handles converting Domain Names to the hosting servers IP address.

Could it possibly be that in some way the router is failing to update the DNS settings for wireless users only? Or maybe this does also affect wired PC's as well? Next time it happens, i'll check the wired PC and let you know. I'm going off the assumption that the wired PC is not being affected, as it's the family computer, and seen as i'm the tech guy of the family, I'd sure as hell get complaints about it not working.

It would be interesting to know if people with the same router are experiencing the same problems with different ISP's.

Levig. Is there anyway that I could reflash the bios on the router to the same version i've already got? I'm just thinking that it could maybe be a faulty bios installation, or the bios has somehow been corrupted.
Darron, my pc's are wired and wireless, it happens on 2 computers so its the router that is at "fault". the thing with the firmware you could try to load up the current 4.05.03 again if that works but I doubt it and we dont have the old fw at hand now.
Old 14-09-2005, 11:15   #30
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane1984
well could i then have two running via NTL? would they allow that, say each connection being 1MB? how would it work?
If they allowed you, and you would need two bills in two separate names (and some billing systems can do this some cannot). Then you would have two SACMs and two charges, one for each CM on the bill.
Not much point when you can get a router and route the single CM for less than this would cost for a months CM rental (wired) or about 3 months wireless).
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote