Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Wireless Router and NTL... keeps losing Internet...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Wireless Router and NTL... keeps losing Internet...

Old 12-09-2005, 19:05   #1
DarronK
Inactive

DarronK is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin Wireless Router and NTL... keeps losing Internet...

Hi,

I'm new here, and I have a very irritating problem.

I have a Belkin Wireless Router (the F5D7230uk4), which is connected to NTL 1MB Broadband, and networked to two different PC's (One wired, the other wireless). and just lately (within the last month) seem to be having an irritating problem.

At least once a day, my computer upstairs (Which is connected wirelessly) will not load any webpages whatsoever. It will only load them after i've restarted the router through the administration screen. I've heard of a registry fix, which will sort out this problem, although to me, it seems to be more of a router problem. My computer is connected with a PCI Belkin Wireless Network Card (The F5D7000uk). The baffling thing is that the admin screen shows the internet status as "Connected" and the PC connected through normal CAT5 can still access the Internet perfectly.

The thing is, the router is only two months old, and i dont really want to replace it, if it's a simple problem. Do you people know of any problems, or fixes I can do? I've tried updating firmware for the router, which is pointless as there's no updated firmware available. I've looked for updated drivers for my card (again pointless).

Both PC's are running Win XP Pro with SP2, all fully updated. I've checked for spyware, and viruses, and found nothing.

It will also do this after using any form of P2P program as well.

Any ideas? I've tried belkin tech support, but they are useless. I've reset my router to factory settings at least five times now, and the problem persists.
DarronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2005, 19:14   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Belkin Wireless Router and NTL... keeps losing Internet...

to the forum
Did you set up the password in the router (http://192.168.2.1/).

if not use the wired pc to it after perfroming a Hard reset (This will return the router to the default setting) and set the password.

I didn't and somebody had hacked into mine.
Old 12-09-2005, 19:17   #3
DarronK
Inactive

Yup. I've set all the passwords etc. I'm also using WPA-PSK encryption as well. I've had it turned off for the past couple of days, and it still keeps happening.
Old 12-09-2005, 19:20   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've heard that cordless phones can cause the wireless connection to drop.

It happens to my setup:
Belkin 4 port cable/DSL router
Belkin Wireless access point
Belkin wirless PC Card
Old 12-09-2005, 19:22   #5
DarronK
Inactive

Thats the thing. The wireless connection is fine, the net connection is fine. Its just this one PC doesnt want to load any webpages, and wont til I restart the router, wven though the wireless connection and net connection are fine.
Old 12-09-2005, 19:49   #6
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Darron, can you check which version of the firmware you running at present mate??? I've had this myself and checked with my teamleader and he has heard of it sometimes but havent found out why and cant really replicate it at work... I do Dutch Technical support at Belkin and the strange thing is that I've only heard of this problem 2 times now 1 myself and the other time from some1 in Holland also on cable internet. but like I said havent found out a cure for this at the moment just to give the router a reboot and its fine afterwards.

if I can find out more about this issue I'll let you know... if you want the latest version of the firmware you can go to our own (Tech Support) ftp site on ftp://supportbelkin.no-ip.org this is the place where we "dump" our beta firmwares and stuff like that, but if correct the current fw of your router is the 4.05.03 version. or if you got a new unit (1 antenna) then its 6.00.01.

oww and another thing if you call our tech number dont choose for NETWORKING stuff. just go for USB or KVM options.

and another thing ... dont mention me at all
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 19:58   #7
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

check out this thread:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...elkin+wireless

could it be you're suffering from the same issues?
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 20:04   #8
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

I have a belkin wireless router.

Everytime I boot up my laptop Although it says I am connected to the network I have to repair the connection before I can do anything.

Could be a problem with the router or the belkin software controlling the card.
Old 12-09-2005, 20:36   #9
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarronK
Hi,

I'm new here, and I have a very irritating problem.

I have a Belkin Wireless Router (the F5D7230uk4), which is connected to NTL 1MB Broadband, and networked to two different PC's (One wired, the other wireless). and just lately (within the last month) seem to be having an irritating problem.

At least once a day, my computer upstairs (Which is connected wirelessly) will not load any webpages whatsoever. It will only load them after i've restarted the router through the administration screen. I've heard of a registry fix, which will sort out this problem, although to me, it seems to be more of a router problem. My computer is connected with a PCI Belkin Wireless Network Card (The F5D7000uk). The baffling thing is that the admin screen shows the internet status as "Connected" and the PC connected through normal CAT5 can still access the Internet perfectly.

The thing is, the router is only two months old, and i dont really want to replace it, if it's a simple problem. Do you people know of any problems, or fixes I can do? I've tried updating firmware for the router, which is pointless as there's no updated firmware available. I've looked for updated drivers for my card (again pointless).

Both PC's are running Win XP Pro with SP2, all fully updated. I've checked for spyware, and viruses, and found nothing.

It will also do this after using any form of P2P program as well.

Any ideas? I've tried belkin tech support, but they are useless. I've reset my router to factory settings at least five times now, and the problem persists.
man i have exact same situation my pc wired to router with 2mb ntl and downstairs pc connected wireless . . and when on BF or browsing at times wireless pc will complain of lose to internet and even i get both pcs suffering lag in gaming were i will ping to high rates of 700+

ive tried a 11mb and 54g usb stick for wireless both had same effect on entire network connection i ve been told its the wireless side causing the drop cause its receiving too many packets or something. but i used to have 11mbps belkin and it did same thign after awhile lost connection randomly. so i bought this 54g, to be honest if i dont find fix soon am going out and buying a netgear rangemax!!!!! cause belkin is f ing me off.
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 20:46   #10
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

I took my belkin back to Pcworld and changed it for a linksys. The Belkin I had was supposed to be the 'dogs' - a pre n version which cost £120 - I exchanged it for the famous linksys wireless g router - no problems since.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 21:40   #11
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane1984
man i have exact same situation my pc wired to router with 2mb ntl and downstairs pc connected wireless . . and when on BF or browsing at times wireless pc will complain of lose to internet and even i get both pcs suffering lag in gaming were i will ping to high rates of 700+

ive tried a 11mb and 54g usb stick for wireless both had same effect on entire network connection i ve been told its the wireless side causing the drop cause its receiving too many packets or something. but i used to have 11mbps belkin and it did same thign after awhile lost connection randomly. so i bought this 54g, to be honest if i dont find fix soon am going out and buying a netgear rangemax!!!!! cause belkin is f ing me off.
Akane, the problem that you have is something that no wireless network will solve... you run 2 games on 2 pc's online and okay sometimes not but then your still using say TS and otehr things that might eat a bit of your UPSTREAM bandwith, until we get in the uk something like 1MEG upstream you wont be able to run 2 high end games at the same time without lag... also WLAN was not designed for gaming but more for general internet stuff.

RANGEMAX is the same as the belkin Pre-N and trust me that still wont solve your problem with pings and ****e like that it still comes via radio instead of ethernet, if you want to game on wireless you need something like 802.11A instead of B or G or even what the rangemax is super g aka 802.11N.
Old 13-09-2005, 08:18   #12
jonbr
Inactive

Services: DTV (Sky+), DTV (VM), phone, 4Mb BB (wireless)
jonbr is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are having problem with the wireless pc losing the connection, or having to repair the connection regularly to get it to work, try the following:

Stop Windows from controlling the wireless card and
install the software/drivers supplied with the wireless card/device.

It is a common problem when using Windows to control wireless devices.
jonbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 08:32   #13
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

One thing to mention is that bluetooth impares wireless connections. You can try minimise this by changing the channel that you got your wireless on through the admin on the router. Other than that turn off the bluetooth on your phone.

hth
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 14:39   #14
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by levig
Akane, the problem that you have is something that no wireless network will solve... you run 2 games on 2 pc's online and okay sometimes not but then your still using say TS and otehr things that might eat a bit of your UPSTREAM bandwith, until we get in the uk something like 1MEG upstream you wont be able to run 2 high end games at the same time without lag... also WLAN was not designed for gaming but more for general internet stuff.

RANGEMAX is the same as the belkin Pre-N and trust me that still wont solve your problem with pings and ****e like that it still comes via radio instead of ethernet, if you want to game on wireless you need something like 802.11A instead of B or G or even what the rangemax is super g aka 802.11N.
ok i accept that but mean should it really be hitting ping of 700+ 1000+! and is their anyway i could tweak the network or router to stop this?
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 14:46   #15
DocDutch
argh

nopes none that I know of Akane. sorry matey. have your bro's pc next to yours better if you want to play lan games