Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The merged BBC News channel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The merged BBC News channel

Old 04-04-2023, 08:50   #1
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
The merged BBC News channel

BBC News Channel and BBC World News officially merged yesterday with UK-based rolling news replaced in its entirety by BBC World News with the only UK scheduled news programmes being Breakfast and the weekday BBC One bulletins along with Newsnight and shortly a television simulcast of Nicky Campbell's BBC Radio 5 Live show.

What do people think of this idea and now that it has happened what will be the consequences for rolling news television in the UK? How much will this benefit Sky News and might we see ITV return to the television rolling news market and/or might another broadcaster launch a rolling news service for the UK?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2023, 09:00   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The merged BBC News channel

Speaking for myself, I would rather be watching news from around the world as well as the UK, which is what this new arrangement will achieve.

The BBC News channel was concentrating too much on UK news before, which made viewing it a bit boring and repetitious. There’s plenty of news from around the world to make it more interesting.

The flagship news programmes are still there.
Old 04-04-2023, 13:38   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Unless there’s a major event unfolding the BBC News Channel really didn’t have enough material to justify its continuous presence. It has badly needed to get material from somewhere and tapping into BBC World was an obvious choice. I’m surprised they’ve gone for a full-on merger, but I suspect they will already have worked out a plan for how to use the service when there is a UK event requiring rolling coverage.

Having said all that, I used to travel overseas a lot and I liked having access to BBC World wherever I was. I often used to wish I could still see it once I was back home in the UK but the BBC has been very good until now at keeping it off British screens.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 15:14   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I get all my news from the internet now, much easier.
Old 04-04-2023, 17:58   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Speaking for myself, I would rather be watching news from around the world as well as the UK, which is what this new arrangement will achieve.

The BBC News channel was concentrating too much on UK news before, which made viewing it a bit boring and repetitious. There’s plenty of news from around the world to make it more interesting.

Yes I noticed you weren't commenting on how great the UK govt were doing lately. Much better news from other countries..
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:13   #6
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

When it became clear that the BBC News channel would become a global service akin to CNN (which of course VM customers can no longer access) and Al Jazeera, I decided to move to Sky News for television news coverage. However I never previously felt that there wasn't enough UK news to justify a UK-based news channel from the BBC.

So far on air from what people have seen has there been an obvious shift to it being a global news channel and not a UK news channel?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:32   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

You can spot the ad breaks even though we don’t see the ads in the UK because the news reader now says ‘we’re going to take a short break’ before you get the weather or a preview reel or whatever.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote