Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | British culture

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

British culture

Old 22-04-2021, 08:44   #46
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: British culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Some people are very afraid of change, unfortunately for them it's inevitable.
Absolutely, British culture has changed huge amounts over the centuries and to think it should not change any more is also a conversation that has been had for centuries.

“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” - Heraclitus 535-475BCE
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2021, 08:48   #47
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Some people are very afraid of change, unfortunately for them it's inevitable.
Inevitable it may be, but I think the first post on the topic concerns whether the change is acceptable and are we, as a nation, better or worse for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I don’t think it’s fear. I certainly don’t like change. I know in some ways it’s inevitable and I don’t expect things to stop moving on my say-so. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.
Same here, one of my favourite phrases is "backwards in the name of progress"
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 08:58   #48
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Inevitable it may be, but I think the first post on the topic concerns whether the change is acceptable and are we, as a nation, better or worse for it.

Same here, one of my favourite phrases is "backwards in the name of progress"
Change occurs whether we find it acceptable or not. Whether that change brings about progress is of course different.

The British culture/heritage is a such a melting pot of so many other diverse cultures with changes occurring to it over such a long period of time. Ultimately it will continue to change and evolve further and people will simply have to decide how much energy they're prepared to waste getting flustered/annoyed/worried/scared by such an irresistible force.

Will there be setbacks in progress in some areas? Of course, will the general progression be for the overwhelming good? I suspect so. it hasn't harmed us so far.
Old 22-04-2021, 09:03   #49
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

British culture where women play no part for many.

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56840131

Sums up it British culture basically.
Old 22-04-2021, 09:03   #50
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I look forward to Sharia law and all of the positives it brings.

There, it's now been said (instead of 4 pages circling the subject) . . so shoot me
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:11   #51
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

British Culture is fast becoming one of self flagellation, looking into the past and judging our actions by todays standards and then demanding that we apologise and are shamed by it.
Old 22-04-2021, 09:27   #52
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The latter, Chris. People don't spend their time contemplating the former. That's why I referred to the "back of the British head"; it's in the subconscious, subliminal.

We then look at other cultures, whose behaviours, pronouncements etc differ from ours, and reach a conclusion as to whether or not our culture is under threat.

And where do you draw the line between what generates culture and what does not? Where’s the line between something through which we deduce what our culture is, and another thing through which we can’t?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:56   #53
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And where do you draw the line between what generates culture and what does not? Where’s the line between something through which we deduce what our culture is, and another thing through which we can’t?
You're still doing the former:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
In what sense is it derived from such things? Are you suggesting these are things from which we deduce what our culture is, or are these things whose production generates our culture? Or both?
I maintain that British culture is subliminal. However, that doesn't stop us from examining and commenting on other cultures.

Multi-culture is an interesting diversion. Let's take two examples that have similarities but also stark differences:

1 The Muslims

They derive their culture from centuries of imbuement in the Koran. When you read the Koran, its touch points on British culture are pretty much zero. There is a 90%+ uptake of the religion by British Muslim children. At the extreme end of Islam are the Iranians, Jihadists and so on.

There will be many British Muslims who have absorbed a considerable amount of British culture, but it is my perception that most of them remain governed by Islam.

2 The Jews

They derive their culture from the Old Testament, which is 50% (sort of) of the Christian influence. British Jews have integrated well into British culture and I'm sure the leakage of belief into atheism is not much different from British Christians. At the extreme end of Judaism are the Ultras who pretty-much bubble themselves into their mini-society. Their culture is based on the teachings of a particular past Rabbi in Eastern Europe. One thing the British ultras don't do is Jihad and all the terror that brings.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 10:01   #54
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
No, I'm still attempting to understand how you define culture. If it can be transmitted in certain artefacts and behaviours but not in others, and it can be generated in certain artefacts and behaviours but not in others, then I would like to know how you determine which artefacts and behaviours to look to, and which to ignore. At this point, you have still to satisfactorily justify your assertion that it is not appropriate to talk of football in terms of culture. I would like you to outline your reasoning, and not merely repeat the assertion in ever more strident terms.

I'm deliberately ignoring your mildly disturbing attempts to push the thread towards the eulogising or denigrating of certain religious and cultural tropes. I don't think you've set your stall out nearly well enough for that to be fruitful at this stage.

And your talk of 'subliminal' seems to be a fairly transparent attempt to avoid defining your meaning and intent. Sure, average people most of the time don't consciously think about what their culture is, but this is a discussion forum, discussing culture, at your own invitation. So please stop avoiding the question.
Old 22-04-2021, 10:20   #55
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
You're almost there.

Culture has different meanings to different people. Culture is subjective.

There may be things we enjoy today that have a basis in other cultures and countries but in my view that doesn't distract them from being what I consider to be our culture today.

Things we (as a nation) did centuries ago should not necessarily be used to define us today.
In the English language it is not subjective it has the 2 Noun definitions I outlined and a 3rd which is Verb and is where you maintain tissue or cells in a medium suitable for growth

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Quote:

I maintain that British culture is subliminal. However, that doesn't stop us from examining and commenting on other cultures.

Multi-culture is an interesting diversion. Let's take two examples that have similarities but also stark differences:

1 The Muslims

They derive their culture from centuries of imbuement in the Koran. When you read the Koran, its touch points on British culture are pretty much zero. There is a 90%+ uptake of the religion by British Muslim children. At the extreme end of Islam are the Iranians, Jihadists and so on.

There will be many British Muslims who have absorbed a considerable amount of British culture, but it is my perception that most of them remain governed by Islam.

2 The Jews

They derive their culture from the Old Testament, which is 50% (sort of) of the Christian influence. British Jews have integrated well into British culture and I'm sure the leakage of belief into atheism is not much different from British Christians. At the extreme end of Judaism are the Ultras who pretty-much bubble themselves into their mini-society. Their culture is based on the teachings of a particular past Rabbi in Eastern Europe. One thing the British ultras don't do is Jihad and all the terror that brings.

I think the extremity in Islam is a lot broader than those who are radicle. I find the acts in countries such as Saudi Arabia despicable where they throw homosexuals off buildings and behead victims of rape. Many Islamic countries are extremely extreme in how they enforce Sharia law

The Jews,Muslims and Christians all believe in the same God only Christians believe the Messiah promised Abraham through the line of Isaac has come. Muslims believe Jesus was a Prophet the same as Mohammed

Last edited by Jaymoss; 22-04-2021 at 10:23.
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 10:25   #56
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Point of information - the throwing off of buildings was in Syria by Islamic State, an Islamic terrorist group.

I disagree with the way Saudia Arabia treats it's people, but they didn't do that.

Christian Pastors in the USA praised an anti-gay massacre, but I don't blame the US Government (or the US people) for that...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 10:31   #57
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Point of information - the throwing off of buildings was in Syria by Islamic State, an Islamic terrorist group.

I disagree with the way Saudia Arabia treats it's people, but they didn't do that.

Christian Pastors in the USA praised an anti-gay massacre, but I don't blame the US Government (or the US people) for that...
I sit corrected
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 11:17   #58
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No, I'm still attempting to understand how you define culture. If it can be transmitted in certain artefacts and behaviours but not in others, and it can be generated in certain artefacts and behaviours but not in others, then I would like to know how you determine which artefacts and behaviours to look to, and which to ignore. At this point, you have still to satisfactorily justify your assertion that it is not appropriate to talk of football in terms of culture. I would like you to outline your reasoning, and not merely repeat the assertion in ever more strident terms.

I'm deliberately ignoring your mildly disturbing attempts to push the thread towards the eulogising or denigrating of certain religious and cultural tropes. I don't think you've set your stall out nearly well enough for that to be fruitful at this stage.

And your talk of 'subliminal' seems to be a fairly transparent attempt to avoid defining your meaning and intent. Sure, average people most of the time don't consciously think about what their culture is, but this is a discussion forum, discussing culture, at your own invitation. So please stop avoiding the question.
Quote:
I don't know what goes on in the deep crevices of your mind, but I've tried to keep it simple in my definition. Above all, British culture is subliminal, expressing itself in people's behaviour and beliefs.
As for football, sod that; it's a distraction.

Quote:
Apparently not. I haven't denigrated anything. But I would like to tease out whether or not others think that British culture is under threat.

Quote:
Definitely not. I'm quite certain that culture cannot be simply defined; Googling the question comes up with definitions like:

the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.

You can't detail that as not only would the list be very long, the variants come into play and very few people would be able to contribute at that level in this debate.

However, since you've tried to force the point, I believe that British culture is under threat in so far as if the birth rate of an incompatible culture reaches a critical mass, laws will change as that culture asserts itself.

See: https://www.google.com/search?newwin...w=1482&bih=761

Quote:
UK Muslim Demographics.
Year Pop. ±%
2001 1,600,000 +68.4%
2011 2,706,066 +69.1%
2017 3,372,996 +24.6%

Happy now?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 11:28   #59
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...jority-by-2050

Quote:
Assuming patterns of net immigration do not change significantly, the Pew Forum thinks that there will be just over 5.5 million British Muslims, representing 8.2 per cent of the UK population, by 2030.

None of this is an exact science, and some demographers say total fertility rate overestimates the lifetime fertility of immigrants because it doesn’t adjust for the fact that they tend to have children soon after arriving.

The verdict

Birth rates among native-born women are currently low across most of Europe and the developed world in general.

Demographers think a fertility rate of about 2.1 children per woman on average is necessary for the population of a developed country to sustain itself.

Most of the “native” populations of Europe are failing to have enough children, while birth rates are higher among Muslim immigrant populations, so it seems inevitable that the British Muslim population will rise in the coming decades.

But it’s equally clear that the gap in fertility between Muslim and non-Muslim will continue to lessen over time, as it has in recent decades.

Mr Cooper suggests that there are “strong cultural reasons for higher Muslim birth rates”, but this ignores the fact that birth rates have fallen dramatically in many Muslim countries.

FactCheck wouldn’t bet on the British Muslim population ever topping 10 per cent, let alone 50 per cent.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 11:29   #60
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Happy now?
Yup. I'm now satisfied that this isn't an interesting, general discussion about how culture arises and changes over time, but is more likely a space for making racist assertions under pseudo-academic cover.