Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 20-04-2021, 21:06   #136
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Rubbish Old Boy. You've still never, at any point, illustrated how the trend reaches zero.

The fact you're into the depths of a scheduler requiring accomodation is the desperation you've turned to. Literally a laptop and a desk. Not going to break the bank for a multi billion pound organisation.

Trend iPhone sales 2007-11 and tell me how many iPhones there should be in the world by now and explain why it didn't happen.
I have never claimed that the trend will reduce to zero. What I have claimed is that there will be a point reached when the broadcast channels will consider that it is no longer worth the effort to continue to broadcast by this method.

As for the scheduler issue, what you say about scheduling may be true of tinpot channels such as ‘Talking Pictures’, for example, which I hear is run from a garden shed! But the bigger, popular channels are a different proposition.

I-Phones? I’m not sure what they have to do with the price of eggs.
Old 20-04-2021, 21:11   #137
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Trends...

In the first 5 years of iPhone sales, the sales multiplied by 60x after the first year, then sales growth stabilised, and since 2015, has remained constant (in fact, dropped a bit after 2015).

I believe the point is that constant growth in any line of business is not guaranteed.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cal-year-2007/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 20-04-2021 at 22:19.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 21:59   #138
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have never claimed that the trend will reduce to zero. What I have claimed is that there will be a point reached when the broadcast channels will consider that it is no longer worth the effort to continue to broadcast by this method.
Which is so close to zero it may be zero.

Quote:
As for the scheduler issue, what you say about scheduling may be true of tinpot channels such as ‘Talking Pictures’, for example, which I hear is run from a garden shed! But the bigger, popular channels are a different proposition.
Can you explain to me how the act of scheduling is proportionately more expensive for larger channels than smaller channels? A huge media conglomerate could do it for buttons across swathes of channels across numerous countries.

Quote:
I-Phones? I’m not sure what they have to do with the price of eggs.
As Hugh says I’m questioning your ability to read trends and make accurate assumptions off the back of them.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 11:17   #139
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Reflecting Chris's point the other day about the pandemic-led streaming boom, Netflix is now reporting growth below target. Interesting to see it blaming last year's growth too.
Quote:
Netflix records dramatic slowdown in subscribers as pandemic boom wears off

Streaming giant adds 4m subscribers, 2m below forecast

Company blames dearth of new content and last year’s growth

Netflix reported a dramatic slowdown in subscribers in the first three months of 2021, ending a record run in growth during the coronavirus pandemic.

The streaming giant added 4 million new subscribers in the first quarter, 2 million fewer than its original estimate of 6 million and a quarter of the 8 million it added in the last three months of 2020. The company expects to add only about 1 million subscribers in the current quarter, which would be its slowest growth on record.

The company said a slowdown in production of new content because of the pandemic and last year’s massive gains were responsible for the fall. Netflix’s share price dropped 11% on the news.

The latest results came after a period of extraordinary growth for the company which added more than 36 million subscribers in 2020 to pass 200 million subscribers worldwide as Covid 19 triggered lockdowns across the world. That pandemic boom now seems to have run its course.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...boom-wears-off
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 11:34   #140
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Not surprising - they really just ate their own lunch last year, gaining a good chunk of the subs they might otherwise have had to work longer and harder to attract. The double whammy is unfortunate, with the forthcoming new content slowdown caused by the same pandemic that also caused the rapid increase in subs. Institutional investors will be worried that insufficient new content over the coming months will test the commitment of some of their newer subscribers, who may only have signed up because they were stuck at home.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 19:51   #141
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Just found this, which is interesting.

https://advanced-television.com/2021...egy-for-youth/

The reason for me that it’s interesting is that it is acknowledged that scheduled TV means extra work for the schedulers. That extra work means extra cost. Something that some of us on this forum seem to believe is unimportant from a broadcaster’s point of view.

When you combine the extra cost with the viewing trends, this gives a pretty good indication of which way we are going.

I accept completely that the neanderthals will not agree. However, I would point out that neanderthals were subject to a best before date! [COLOR="Silver"]

But more generally, once you are freed of the constraints of scheduling and programming a linear channel, it becomes really exciting in terms of the possibilities of the different genres we might venture into – such as factual programmes. On ITV2, we have been very successful in becoming the No1 destination for young adults and we did that by really targeting them and focussing on funny, often irreverent, entertainment programming with a tone that ran through all the content. We prided ourselves that as a viewer you come in, lean back, have fun, and “But more generally, once you are freed of the constraints of scheduling and programming a linear channel, it becomes really exciting in terms of the possibilities of the different genres we might venture intoq all the content.

We prided ourselves that as a viewer you come in, lean back, have fun, and we programmed it so every programme led neatly into the next, it’s all about inheritance, it’s about 9pm junctions and watersheds. But guess what, on demand it’s not…and when you’re free of those linear channel constraints there’s other things you can do in programming terms…”

Last edited by OLD BOY; 24-04-2021 at 19:59.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 20:00   #142
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Where does it say scheduled programmes mean extra work?

It mentions constraints involved in linear programming, but not extra work - or is that an assumption?
Old 24-04-2021, 20:08   #143
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Trends...

In the first 5 years of iPhone sales, the sales multiplied by 60x after the first year, then sales growth stabilised, and since 2015, has remained constant (in fact, dropped a bit after 2015).

I believe the point is that constant growth in any line of business is not guaranteed.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cal-year-2007/
I agree, but that point does not negate mine, that in terms of on-demand viewing, there will come a point where conventional viewing will no longer be seen as important to broadcasters.

You can only take your analogies so far, Hugh. Advertisers are key to Freeview, but if they are left selling their wares to people who cannot afford their products ... well, I’ll leave it to you to complete that sentence.

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Quote:

It mentions constraints involved in linear programming, but not extra work - or is that an assumption?
Are we nitpicking again here, Hugh? You seem to be getting desperate to prove the impossible argument.

Just saying’....
Old 24-04-2021, 20:18   #144
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Are we nitpicking again here, Hugh? You seem to be getting desperate to prove the impossible argument.
Well, you’d know what that looks like.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 20:35   #145
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Well, you’d know what that looks like.
Desperate to get some acknowledgement of the inevitable, yes!

Although I have to say I’m getting a bit past caring. I might just let events prove my argument.
Old 24-04-2021, 22:29   #146
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

You said
Quote:
Just found this, which is interesting.

https://advanced-television.com/2021...egy-for-youth/

The reason for me that it’s interesting is that it is acknowledged that scheduled TV means extra work for the schedulers. That extra work means extra cost.

...snippets snip snip...
Quote:

Quote:

Just saying’....
Didn’t answer my question, though, did you?

Please highlight where, in that article, it states that scheduled TV means extra work?
Old 24-04-2021, 23:01   #147
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

“Neanderthals”????
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 06:12   #148
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Breaking News .... scheduled TV means TV schedulers have to work ...

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 07:10   #149
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
“Neanderthals”????
Its alright as one has been called far worse as its water off a ducks back as they say..
Old 25-04-2021, 10:29   #150
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
“Neanderthals”????
Someone here getting bullied out of existence by Homo Sapiens then ??
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote