Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 11:34   #3391
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3582124/

This article explains the reduced immune system capability in elderly people.

Apparently it is principally due to shrinkage of the Thymus.

Quote:
Abstract
The effects of aging on the immune system are manifest at multiple levels that include reduced production of B and T cells in bone marrow and thymus and diminished function of mature lymphocytes in secondary lymphoid tissues. As a result, elderly individuals do not respond to immune challenge as robustly as the young. An important goal of aging research is to define the cellular changes that occur in the immune system and the molecular events that underlie them. Considerable progress has been made in this regard, and this information has provided the rationale for clinical trials to rejuvenate the aging immune system.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2021, 11:46   #3392
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Everyone I know has also been given Pfizer but it could just be a coincidence if there was any policy I am sure it would have leaked by now.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:43   #3393
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Everyone I know has also been given Pfizer but it could just be a coincidence if there was any policy I am sure it would have leaked by now.
I was given the Oxford jab
Old 04-02-2021, 12:46   #3394
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Not that I think they have, I think it's more likely the Pfizer one has been in the supply chain longer, but you could in theory implement this idea quietly by controlling who gets supply, when in line with how far along the JCVI list they are.

In terms of being in the supply chain longer the leaked Scottish Government documents (assuming they get 10% of the vaccines as a proportion of population) puts 7 million of the Pfizer vaccine in the supply to date. The AZ vaccine gets there this week, rising from 800 000 total supply in week commencing 11th January.

I don't know how long it takes from delivery to arm but it's extremely likely anyone vaccinated before 18th January had the Pfizer one, on a sliding scale to next week where it should become about a 50/50 across everyone vaccinated to date.
Old 04-02-2021, 13:06   #3395
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I tried to see which vials were being used in the package broadcast on the BBC news at 10 last night. The only bottle I could read a label on was an AstraZeneca one, so it’s definitely out there, although of course it’s impossible to say anything more about it than that.
Old 04-02-2021, 13:12   #3396
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I tried to see which vials were being used in the package broadcast on the BBC news at 10 last night. The only bottle I could read a label on was an AstraZeneca one, so it’s definitely out there, although of course it’s impossible to say anything more about it than that.
My surgery in Wokingham is doing AZ.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 04-02-2021, 13:20   #3397
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My dads first jab was the pfizer jab on the 14th
Old 04-02-2021, 13:34   #3398
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Someone I know had to fill in a form to book their appointment and it gave them the choice if which one to take which I thought was odd for both medical reasons (why give people the choice?) and logistically too. However, when they turned up they were only offering Pfizer anyway.
Old 04-02-2021, 14:26   #3399
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

https://www.skysports.com/share/12208376

Suppose it’s easy to fudge the numbers if you let anyone passing by the mass vaccination site jump the queue.
Old 04-02-2021, 14:36   #3400
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
https://www.skysports.com/share/12208376

Suppose it’s easy to fudge the numbers if you let anyone passing by the mass vaccination site jump the queue.
It is possible that football club employees are getting the defrosted dregs at the end of the shift. Their stadium has been used as a testing centre which has probably allowed them to develop contacts and know who to ask. Any leftovers of the Pfizer vaccine must otherwise be destroyed. I would be more surprised if this hasn’t happened in lots of places where the Pfizer vaccine is used. Obviously it is better if it’s used on more vulnerable people first but if they don’t know how much vaccine is going to be left at the end of the day and it’s a matter of phoning someone and telling them they can have it provided they arrive within 20 minutes, that’s a difficult procedure to incorporate into the regular schedule.

It’s bad PR though, and if that’s what is happening then some effort must be made to regulate it so someone other than the fittest in society gets to ‘jump’ the queue.
Old 04-02-2021, 15:45   #3401
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

The clues are in the article ;

Quote:
Government protocols are prioritising the over 70s and the clinically extremely vulnerable.
Quote:
Once a pack is opened and defrosted, it must be used within two hours.
Prioritize means give it them first, if you can.

If non are available in the two hours, then you give it to whoever is available, not waste it.

Its happening in a lot of places, some of our local school staff are getting jabs left over from sessions, rather than it be wasted.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 04-02-2021, 15:47   #3402
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I’d rather they stick it in anyone’s arm rather than throw it away. Plus you don’t know the personal circumstances of the people involved they may be asthmatic or have other underlying conditions.

Once again always better to get the full facts before passing judgment, if it is the case that these are perfectly healthy people that got the jab because their aunt works at the surgery then I’ll agree it would be poor, be we don’t know.
Old 04-02-2021, 15:50   #3403
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I'm fully aware what prioritise if you can means, but of you wanted to fudge the figures your simply defrost far more than you have for appointments scheduled. This could be done under false pretences - e.g. intent to have people phone their way down the JCVI list.

If unsuccessful grab whoever is walking past.

I'm not saying they are gaming the system but it'd be interesting to know how many excess people are getting vaccinated outside the JCVI list. I bet nobody is counting.

FWIW I also think it's better to inject someone than throw it away. I'm only pointing out that it's possible to game the system if your intent is to have a high headline figure while "prioritising the vulnerable".
Old 04-02-2021, 15:54   #3404
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'm fully aware what prioritise if you can means, but of you wanted to fudge the figures your simply defrost far more than you have for appointments scheduled. This could be done under false pretences - e.g. intent to have people phone their way down the JCVI list.

If unsuccessful grab whoever is walking past.

I'm not saying they are gaming the system but it'd be interesting to know how many excess people are getting vaccinated outside the JCVI list. I bet nobody is counting.

FWIW I also think it's better to inject someone than throw it away. I'm only pointing out that it's possible to game the system if your intent is to have a high headline figure while "prioritising the vulnerable".
I'll say this for you, you have turned cynicism into an art form on this forum.
Old 04-02-2021, 15:58   #3405
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'll say this for you, you have turned cynicism into an art form on this forum.
I do my best

Another strategy might be to do some public sector workplaces:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-covid-vaccine

I guess I do admire their creative solutions. There’s no point in holding up vaccination if there are more vaccines there than infrastructure (and people identified on) the JCVI list allows. But if others take short cuts, or are slower because they aren’t taking short cuts, then I don’t think we are necessarily well placed to criticise.

Last edited by jfman; 04-02-2021 at 16:24.
Closed Thread