Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

Old 30-03-2006, 17:38   #31
cr0wner
Inactive

cr0wner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

Finally solved this problem for me today, and I think it is the old school NTL modems at fault.

Borrowed an NTL modem from a friend and plugged it in instead of mine. And connection to the internet via the router was pretty much instant.

Because the original modem was perfectly happy to connect my PC to the internet directly it never occured to me that the modem could be the problem. I still dont understand how that could be. But where as no amount of power cycles, mac cloneing or arcane methods would get the thing to talk to the router, within 2 minutes of trying a second modem it was all up and running, connecting my PC to the internet via the router.

My original modem was a 4 year old NTL:Home 120 where as the one I borrowed from a friend was a much newer ntl:250.

So maybe a lot of these aparently unsolvable issues are because theres something peculiar about NTLs old cable modems.

?

Anyway. Problem solved for me. Just bought a recent NTL modem off ebay for £4.99.
cr0wner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2006, 18:06   #32
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts
Question Re: Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0wner
Finally solved this problem for me today, and I think it is the old school NTL modems at fault.
How can that work? The MAC Address will be Different.......

Anyway....
I just got a New Belkin F5D7230uk4 off Dell. My sister had 2x Dell Laptops & a Belkin F5D7230uk4 Today. I went to install it & the Dell Desktop is WIRED to the Router.... It works for 15 min or so. Then "ORANGE Light" story...

Windows XP on all... NTL 1MB (Silver Box 120 I think)......

Should I return Item? I have a EBuyer Cheap £30 Router myself & it works a TREAT. I got a Belkin F5D7230uk4 for my sister & its CREPE
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 18:50   #33
cr0wner
Inactive

cr0wner is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster
How can that work? The MAC Address will be Different.......
Dont think the Mac address has anything to do with it. Maybe it used to, but if you read NTLs help stuff (on their web site) these days it says that theres no need to worry about cloning a Mac address as they dont limit the connection anymore only one originally registered piece of network hardware.
cr0wner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 16:26   #34
jimbo2415
Inactive

jimbo2415 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello people first time on here but i tihnk i have the solution to ur problem which is there is no solution. basically after months of trying to fix my belkin i decided to take it back beacuse of the the orange thingy and it turns out that its a fault with the design.they either work or they dont work. so try ur look with another box or invest in a different make.
jimbo2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:14   #35
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2415
hello people first time on here but i tihnk i have the solution to ur problem which is there is no solution. basically after months of trying to fix my belkin i decided to take it back beacuse of the the orange thingy and it turns out that its a fault with the design.they either work or they dont work. so try ur look with another box or invest in a different make.
Dell refunded me the Cash & told me to keep it

So I went to PC World & got a Linksys one.. Works a Treat

Oh.. Welcome to the Forum & Thanks for the reply
Old 26-05-2006, 12:47   #36
coracle
Inactive

coracle is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add my experience

I bought a belkin F5D7230uk4 wireless router from dabs. This was delivered on the 18th May. In conjunction with ntl broadband it would often fail and require rebooting (all lights except the modem light would go off).

On the 20th I called Belkin support, explained the problem and they said they would replace the router.

On the 24th I recieved a F5D7231-4 wireless router as a replacement and was told I didn't have to return the original. I've used it for a couple of hours now and things seem much better. I've got my fingers crossed in the hope that I don't have similar problems with this router. Thanks Belkin!
coracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 22:47   #37
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

I dont know why people use Belkin.. there products as of late have been really poor in quality and have never been a patch on Linksys.

As sugested, try one of the Linksys models. You will not be disapointed.
Old 16-06-2006, 22:16   #38
sjb2
Inactive

sjb2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

First time on the forum...getting lots of hassle from the family:

Help! Loads of people seem to have had the dreaded NTL & Belkin Router problems (all lights but modem light shutdown and no internet access is possible). Have to power down the router to fix.

Not sure what the advice is : replace the Belkin, get Linksys, sort out connection settings, give up!
sjb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 10:10   #39
JediMaster
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb2
First time on the forum...getting lots of hassle from the family:

Help! Loads of people seem to have had the dreaded NTL & Belkin Router problems (all lights but modem light shutdown and no internet access is possible). Have to power down the router to fix.

Not sure what the advice is : replace the Belkin, get Linksys, sort out connection settings, give up!
I told Dell it was Faulty, they refunded the Money & said Keep the Router. I went for the Linksys one & it worked 1st time....
Old 11-06-2007, 16:41   #40
Andybarnsley
Inactive

Andybarnsley is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

With my experience With Belkin They are the Worst and Cheapest made Routers Available, Ive used one for quite a while and i had the Orange Light and resetting problem
after calling the belkin Support Number many times i still had the same Problems and all they kept telling me to do was reset the router.
I eventually went out and bought a D link Router Connected it up in 5 minutes and all was fine from the beginning.
i did a search on google "Belkin Orange Light" and Couldnt belive how many people were having exactly the same problem as me , and so far i havent seen anyone post a Cure for it !
Anyway Belkin are now in my bad books !

Wouldnt have another one Given.

Andy
Andybarnsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 16:55   #41
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Blimey, that's one helluva bump... this thread's almost a year old

ps - welcome to CF, Andy

Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 17:05   #42
Andybarnsley
Inactive

Andybarnsley is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Problems With My Wireless Belkin Router And NTL

Cant fault a good bump now and again lol
Its about 1 year since i been having trouble with this ..and this was one of the many Forums that ive read trying to fix it.
Anyway all sorted now
Im thinking of putting the Hammer to the belkin , Filming it and perhaps posting the Funeral on youtube
anyway Cheers

Andy
Andybarnsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 18:59   #43
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Well it's a relief(?) to find it's not just me. Got exactly the same problem (all lights except modem going out). The router worked fine for ages, but recently I've a) changed from WEP to WPA security, b) changed from STB to SACM for Virgin connection. Tried upgrading the Belkin firmware - no better. Virgin seem to have been doing some network upgrades around here recently, as my speedtest results have improved significantly. However, at the same time, the rate of router freezes has increased. Looks like Linksys here I come. Might even go for a pre-N so I can use the 20MB upgrade wirelessly.
Old 12-06-2007, 21:17   #44
sjb2
Inactive

sjb2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took everyone's advice and got rid of Belkin and changed to NetGear instead (my local shop didn't have any Linksys in stock on that day).

Haven't looked back : it's been brilliant since.

If anyone is still suffering from the dreaded orange light problem then it looks like Belkin haven't solved the problem.
sjb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 21:57   #45
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

just out of interest... there is a version number on the bottom of the router that you have problems with. what is that number, that is if you still have the unit.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote