Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tried to use DD-WRT on my WRT610N =(bricked)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tried to use DD-WRT on my WRT610N =(bricked)

Old 22-11-2012, 11:47   #1
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Tried to use DD-WRT on my WRT610N =(bricked)

Hay up Ladies and gents , just after some help please as I think I've now bricked my router.

After a little gentle persuasion I tried to flash my Linksys WRT610N (v1) router with DD-WRT firmware in the hopes of being able to eventually use it to replace my crappy Sagemcom fibre router unit supplied by Sky.

I have never attempted to do this before so I may have made some assumptions about how to achieve this so please bear with me.

So far I've connected to my Linksys via my laptop, downloaded what I believe to be the correct version of DD-WRT and saved it in my downloads, I then opened up the Linksys GUI and hit the upgrade firmware, selected the recently downloaded firmware from my downloads and clicked the go for it button.

I don't really know if this is the correct way of doing things but afterwards I couldnt and still can't log into the linksys via 192.168.1.1

So I thought I'd try a factory restore reboot, so held the little button in on the back for about 30 seconds = didnt work

I then tried a 30/30/30 reset = didnt work either

I'm now at a bit of a loss as to how to at least get the router back to a condition where I can use it or log into it.

The router just seems to be switching on ok, and when I connect an ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports, it lights up as if I'm connected but I just can't log in.

The version of DD-WRT I used is below, it's the standard generic version if that makes any sence
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/do...neric.bin/3729

I'm now stuck in limbo land not knowing what to try next, I'm even contemplating trying this below but it seems a bit drastic and I'll probably cock that up too.
http://blog.vivekpanyam.com/2012/06/...-a-wrt610n-v1/

Your help as usual is appreciated

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

I was kindly sent this by craigj2k12 last night but I dont understand parts of it very well
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Lin...8Unbricking.29

soz for being a numpty
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2012, 11:53   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Tried to use DD-WRT on my WRT610N =(bricked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Hay up Ladies and gents , just after some help please as I think I've now bricked my router.

After a little gentle persuasion I tried to flash my Linksys WRT610N (v1) router with DD-WRT firmware in the hopes of being able to eventually use it to replace my crappy Sagemcom fibre router unit supplied by Sky.

I have never attempted to do this before so I may have made some assumptions about how to achieve this so please bear with me.

So far I've connected to my Linksys via my laptop, downloaded what I believe to be the correct version of DD-WRT and saved it in my downloads, I then opened up the Linksys GUI and hit the upgrade firmware, selected the recently downloaded firmware from my downloads and clicked the go for it button.

I don't really know if this is the correct way of doing things but afterwards I couldnt and still can't log into the linksys via 192.168.1.1

So I thought I'd try a factory restore reboot, so held the little button in on the back for about 30 seconds = didnt work

I then tried a 30/30/30 reset = didnt work either

I'm now at a bit of a loss as to how to at least get the router back to a condition where I can use it or log into it.

The router just seems to be switching on ok, and when I connect an ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports, it lights up as if I'm connected but I just can't log in.

The version of DD-WRT I used is below, it's the standard generic version if that makes any sence
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/do...neric.bin/3729

I'm now stuck in limbo land not knowing what to try next, I'm even contemplating trying this below but it seems a bit drastic and I'll probably cock that up too.
http://blog.vivekpanyam.com/2012/06/...-a-wrt610n-v1/

Your help as usual is appreciated

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

I was kindly sent this by craigj2k12 last night but I dont understand parts of it very well
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Lin...8Unbricking.29

soz for being a numpty
PM on the way

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 11:58   #3
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
PM on the way
Replied
Old 22-11-2012, 17:06   #4
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
PM on the way
Why not reply to the group so we all know?
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 17:11   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
Why not reply to the group so we all know?

Because i was arranging to fix it for him at my house as he lives not far from me and i had no intention of giving out my address to everyone so they could come watch . i have the kit to unbrick a router. !

Old 22-11-2012, 19:44   #6
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

I hate to spoil your plans... but from what I hear, you HAVE to use Sky's fibre router. Sky's network uses a weird 802.1q tagging method to authorise users/modems, rather than PPPoE like all the other ISPs. I was told this by one of the core networking guys at Sky, so, it's pretty authoritative .
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:46   #7
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaveRa View Post
I hate to spoil your plans... but from what I hear, you HAVE to use Sky's fibre router. Sky's network uses a weird 802.1q tagging method to authorise users/modems, rather than PPPoE like all the other ISPs. I was told this by one of the core networking guys at Sky, so, it's pretty authoritative .
It can be done with DDWRT
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:59   #8
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

Aaaah. Very well. Carry on then
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:59   #9
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
It can be done with DDWRT
Thats what i will install after i get it up and running

Old 22-11-2012, 20:45   #10
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Good lad
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:53   #11
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Thats what i will install after i get it up and running
I can kind of get it running, if I reboot everything and then log into the router, it will sometimes let me in.

Once in it asks me to change the username and password, then it may or may not let me into the dd-wrt gui, I thought I'd cracked it but it doesnt retain any of the info I put in.

If I reboot again and manage to get in again, it's back at the beginning again, so I take it its only partially bricked for now at least
Old 22-11-2012, 21:02   #12
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
I can kind of get it running, if I reboot everything and then log into the router, it will sometimes let me in.

Once in it asks me to change the username and password, then it may or may not let me into the dd-wrt gui, I thought I'd cracked it but it doesnt retain any of the info I put in.

If I reboot again and manage to get in again, it's back at the beginning again, so I take it its only partially bricked for now at least
You can drop it off after 4.00pm tomorrow if that helps. It should be ready for Saturday then.

Old 22-11-2012, 21:37   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Then it's not really bricked. Can you ping it, and what sort of packet loss do you get? What build did you use?

Apparently that model is one of the easiest to fix, assuming you have the "management mode" thing. Just like the DIR-615, it's virtually impossible to brick
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 22:30   #14
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
You can drop it off after 4.00pm tomorrow if that helps. It should be ready for Saturday then.
Sounds like a plan Sirius, I finish work at 4pm so shortly after that ok ?, traffic dependant of course

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Then it's not really bricked. Can you ping it, and what sort of packet loss do you get? What build did you use?

Apparently that model is one of the easiest to fix, assuming you have the "management mode" thing. Just like the DIR-615, it's virtually impossible to brick
Hay up qas, Ive put it all away now, when I was lucky enough to get into the gui, everything seemed fine, I could access all the settings etc, but after a few minutes it would just lock up, stop responding and then I couldnt log in anymore untill numerous reboots later, and only then after I had taken the ethernet cable out of the LAN port for a few seconds and stuck it in the WAN port then back again,,,,,,,

In terms of build if you look at my initial post it's shows which build I used (I should have took a screenshot of when it was working).

I never thought of pinging it, the thought never crossed my mind
Old 24-11-2012, 04:55   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yeah your first post says what file you downloaded, it doesn't tell me what build number is in that file.

There's a good reason I dislike both DD-WRT and Broadcom devices...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote